What to expect

  • Jason MacFarlane
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
    When your snowkite obsession doesn't pack up & leave with the end of winter....a HOW-TO guide for an epic fail in the backcountry.

    Visuals are compliments of Bennett Mtn Plateau Snowkite Trip on 4/9/2012

    Expect that:
    1) You will be ALONE, b/c all your kite buddies have already faced the fact that winter is OVER

    2) You will have to SKIN-SKI a LONG approach to even get to the 'good' snow

    3) You will get STUCK in a drift and have to dig for hours since AAA doesn't cover Off-Roading

    4) Your companion (i.e. dog) will not PULL you up the hill, he'll make you carry his food & water instead

    5) Your home will consist of a tent on a frozen snowmobile track, making it tricky to sleep more than 20 min at a time

    6) Once you get to the 'good' snow it will be late and it will have turned into pine-sap & dust covered marshmallow glue

    7) At the end of the day, after skiing 10 miles then mtn biking 5 miles to reach Hwy 20, you'll realize your only hope is YOURSELF and get to digging!

    Hope this serves as a lesson to other 'diehards' or at least as comic relief for those of you that have already moved onto saner pursuits such as kiting on water!!

    JMatic
    Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
      Better to have tried and get skunked, then not try at all!

      Thanks for the story. My screen time is killing me. :-(

      Eddy

[...]

    • William Binegar
      Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
        Great effort.  I bet the dog had a blast!

        [Attachment(s) from Jason MacFarlane included below]

        Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
          all of that , but was there any wind ?

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; jim@...

          Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2012
            yes, Steve there was wind and I got 'first tracks' on the plateau.

            > all of that , but was there any wind ?
            >

            > To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; jim@...
            > From: billyg2477@...
            > Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:24:42 -0600
            > Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] What to expect
            >

            > Great effort. I bet the dog had a blast!
            >

            > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Jason MacFarlane <jmacmatic@...> wrote:
            >

            > [Attachment(s) from Jason MacFarlane included below]
            >
            > When your snowkite obsession doesn't pack up & leave with the end of winter....a HOW-TO guide for an epic fail in the backcountry.
            >

            > Visuals are compliments of Bennett Mtn Plateau Snowkite Trip on 4/9/2012
            >

            > Expect that:
            > 1) You will be ALONE, b/c all your kite buddies have already faced the fact that winter is OVER
            >

            > 2) You will have to SKIN-SKI a LONG approach to even get to the 'good' snow
            >

            > 3) You will get STUCK in a drift and have to dig for hours since AAA doesn't cover Off-Roading
            >

            > 4) Your companion (i.e. dog) will not PULL you up the hill, he'll make you carry his food & water instead
            >

            > 5) Your home will consist of a tent on a frozen snowmobile track, making it tricky to sleep more than 20 min at a time
            >

            > 6) Once you get to the 'good' snow it will be late and it will have turned into pine-sap & dust covered marshmallow glue
            >

            > 7) At the end of the day, after skiing 10 miles then mtn biking 5 miles to reach Hwy 20, you'll realize your only hope is YOURSELF and get to digging!
            >

            > Hope this serves as a lesson to other 'diehards' or at least as comic relief for those of you that have already moved onto saner pursuits such as kiting on water!!
            >

            > JMatic

          • j clive
            Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
              very cool