Re: [snowkiteidaho] Cleanup, and changes at Blacks Creek Res.

  • Jake Dobson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 8:04 PM
      Tried Hubbard last year.  Not really big enough to kite, and also pretty muddy.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 5, 2012, at 7:48 PM, William Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

      Tom,

       I think I heard on the radio that April 21st is the clean up day.  Would it be worthwhile for us to get involved?  If that reservoir fills up and is clean, might be nice.  Sounds like we'd have to hike a bit.  Also the article mentions Hubbard reservoir.  Anyone, is that large enough to do anything on?

      Bill

      On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

      Story in the Idaho Statesman yesterday about several groups getting together to clean the place up, and try to keep the riff-raff that have been trashing the place out.  It involved "fencing" which probably wouldn't be a show stopper for windsurfing, but might be for kites?

      I've never actually dipped a toe in the place myself, so after most of three decades, I don't have an immediate personal motivation.  Maybe some on the list who do might want to speak up, and exhort action by others?

      http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/04/02/2060071/a-remedy-for-blacks-creeks-black.html

      A remedy for Blacks Creek’s black eye

      By CYNTHIA SEWELL — cmsewell@...

      Apr 2, 2012

      excerpt:

      Vandals, target shooters, trash dumpers, mud-bogging four-wheelers and hooligans have repeatedly trashed Blacks Creek Reservoir, a desert oasis set amid the sagebrush-dotted landscape south of Boise and frequented by more than 200 bird and animal species.

      All of the fish — bass, bluegill, crappie and yellow perch — died last fall after vandals destroyed a valve, draining the water from the reservoir.

      This spring, a consortium of conservation and wildlife groups and private landowners will start installing fencing and gates to keep vehicles out and let in people who want to enjoy the area free of trash and growling four-wheelers. The fencing project should be complete August.

      There’s $26,300 involved, from a “TogetherGreen” grant (Audubon’s and Toyota’s partnering). Organizations involved are listed in the story as Golden Eagle Audubon Society, Land Trust of the Treasure Valley, Pleasant Valley Irrigation District, BLM Four Rivers Field Office, Idaho Department of Fish and Game, Idaho Bird Observatory, Idaho Wildlife Federation, Nicholson Family Ranch, and the Ada County Sheriff’s Office.

      Tom von Alten

      tva@...

      =