Black Creek Reservoir

  • stefanoortelli
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012
      I've seen Black Creek Reservoir. Looks close to home, safe launch, awesome environment... Why nobody goes there kiting? some hide danger? sharks?
    • daflyinhawaiian64@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012
        I have wind surfed there years ago. No sharks!
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:19:08 -0000
        To: <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Black Creek Reservoir

        I've seen Black Creek Reservoir. Looks close to home, safe launch, awesome environment... Why nobody goes there kiting? some hide danger? sharks?

      • Robert Shultz
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012
          I have not been there but have been told that there is an abundance of sharp trash in the water (washing machines etc.)

          Jim

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 30, 2012, at 23:19, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...> wrote:

          I've seen Black Creek Reservoir. Looks close to home, safe launch, awesome environment... Why nobody goes there kiting? some hide danger? sharks?

        • Rusty Hill
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
            I've jet ski'd, swam, waterski'd, and canoed up there for years and never saw any submerged obstacles. The only reason why I don't go sail up there or kite there is because I have no idea when the wind blows up there and there are no meters nearby to chart trends. Does anyone know of any patterns or ways of predicting the wind up there?

            Rusty Hill
            Photography Elevated
            (208) 891-7744

            On Mar 31, 2012, at 2:24 AM, Robert Shultz <jim.shultz00@...> wrote:

            I have not been there but have been told that there is an abundance of sharp trash in the water (washing machines etc.)

            Jim

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 30, 2012, at 23:19, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...> wrote:

            I've seen Black Creek Reservoir. Looks close to home, safe launch, awesome environment... Why nobody goes there kiting? some hide danger? sharks?

          • Jack Harrison

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                  Moving out to the west coast, huh?  Congrats on the house hunting.  We've spent tons of time at Black Canyon near Emmett.  Really great sand bar islands way upstream only accessible via jetskii, and jet boat (but we've never seen any jet boats).  It's like having your own personal private acreage of sandy beaches surrounded by water.

                  Only time I can think of the wind cranking is during a front or a storm and it's nasty.  3' swell with a really short wavelength, maybe 12'.  Awesome for jumping a PWC, would not want to be in a boat.  Sailed my old 14' Hobiecat there once, turtled it completely as in mast straight down (deep reservoir).

                  There is one area that I recall being frequently windy or maybe just breezy when everything else there is glassy.  Near up where the sand bars start clogging things up and there's a wide open area that gets funneled.  Ankle to knee deep water, lots of sand.  Never been up there early in the morning, maybe some LP type flow?

                  If nothing else, great spots to kick it away from crowds with gobs of sand beaches with camping potential.  I'll be glad to help with the move.  I've got access to a trailer if wanted.

                  What about this weekend, snow, cold water?

                  =

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                        I have to agree with Eddy on the Cow dung
                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        From: Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...>
                        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:04:57 -0600
                        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com<snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Black Canyon Reservoir

[...]

                      • Tonyswilliams
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                          Kited there once and won't again. Water dirty and no place downwind to get out due to the brush along the shore

                          Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                                Wondered if anyone noticed the confusion lol! Blacks creek looks full from the air
                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                                    Just got off the water in Fort Lauderdale. No wetsuit, wind 20-25 and sunny. Only able to get an hour in before we had to leave for the airport... Great session regardless.

                                    Rusty Hill
                                    Photography Elevated
                                    (208) 891-7744

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 31, 2012
                                      I took my ski boat up there a few times it is very narrow a lot like the diversion at LP with some bends in the river . the word from years ago from the windsurfers was they didnt have much luck with wind . I dont think anyone look at the possibility of morning wind . Hidden Springs is a long way from LP morning wind , will we still see you and Laura up there ?
                                       I have a large trailer let me know if you if need more help
                                      Steve-O

                                      Directions

                                      From Boise, take Hwy 44 west 6 miles past Eagle. Turn north on Hwy 16 through Emmett, then NE on Hwy 52 to Black Canyon Dam.

                                      Nearest City