RE: [snowkiteidaho] Long term weather prognosis

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
      Thursday leaving at 2:15

      Friday same thing

      Eddy

      From: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com [mailto:snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Darrel Thomas
      Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 4:22 PM
      To: Scott Lossmann; Steve Martinez; snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Long term weather prognosis

      On NPR  today I heard a NWS meorologist quoted as saying that January/February is when we typically feel the effects of the dreaded El Nino.   He stated that this will normally cause unseasonably high temps in our region, and a split flow sending most storms to the south and north of us throughout January into February.

      To throw on my $1.50 worth of BS:

      The split flow will be caused by a substantial high pressure cell sitting on top of us.  The bad news is we won't be seeing a whole lot of wind or new snow.  The good news is it also means inversions.  Not always a good thing, but in terms of preserving our snowpack on the Camas to await the storms of late Feb through April, it is a God send.  Like 2 and 3 years ago, when all the ski resorts were closing up from lack of snow, the temps on the Camus were extemely low, keeping us safe from melt off.

      The good news is it looks good Thur, fri, Sun.  Maybe Sat.  Should be picking op a few inches of snow today/tonight.

      My advice is to hit it hard this week/weekend, steady our hearts for 4-6 weeks of agonizing withdrawl, and pray for a wicked good Feb/March.

    • Whitney Rearick
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
        What's 'depreasing?'

        > On NPR today I heard a NWS meorologist quoted as saying that
        January/February is when we typically feel the effects of the dreaded
        El Nino. He stated that this will normally cause unseasonably high
        temps in our region, and a split flow sending most storms to the
        south and north of us throughout January into February.

        > To throw on my $1.50 worth of BS:
        >
        > The split flow will be caused by a substantial high pressure cell
        sitting on top of us. The bad news is we won't be seeing a whole lot
        of wind or new snow. The good news is it also means inversions. Not
        always a good thing, but in terms of preserving our snowpack on the
        Camas to await the storms of late Feb through April, it is a God
        send. Like 2 and 3 years ago, when all the ski resorts were closing
        up from lack of snow, the temps on the Camus were extemely low,
        keeping us safe from melt off.

        > The
        good news is it looks good Thur, fri, Sun. Maybe Sat. Should
        be picking op a few inches of snow today/tonight.

        > My advice is to hit it hard this week/weekend, steady our hearts
        for 4-6 weeks of agonizing withdrawl, and pray for a wicked good
        Feb/March.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • rostolee
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
          Why is it cool to be illiterate and to be unable use spellcheck?

          --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
          wrote:

          > What's 'depreasing?'

        • rostolee
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
            ooops.... *to* use spellcheck ....

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
              Well Thursday was sweet but wind did not last very long but when it was on it was stellar.  I got one of my biggest and longest jumps this season, Not sure on peak height but easy 30ft & distance was minimum of 4 line lengths.

              Friday - blowing hard already headed up with Darrel at 2:15.

              Saturday - looks promising

              Sunday - looks promising

              Still have a couple Elements left if anyone is looking for a inexpensive snowkite.

              Gear Daddy LLC
              Eddy
              863-6966
            • hawkicd11
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                blown out? its nuking up there right now, do you think it will
                steady out by 3?

                --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"
                <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                > Well Thursday was sweet but wind did not last very long but when
                it was on
                > it was stellar. I got one of my biggest and longest jumps this
                season, Not
                > sure on peak height but easy 30ft & distance was minimum of 4 line
                lengths.
                > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                s=97359714/grpId=14092643/grpspId=1705065786/msgI
                > d=985/stime=1168007659/nc1=3848541/nc2=2/nc3=3>
                >
                > Friday - blowing hard already headed up with Darrel at 2:15.
                >
                > Saturday - looks promising
                >
                > Sunday - looks promising
                >
                > Still have a couple Elements left if anyone is looking for a
                inexpensive
                > snowkite.
                >

                > Gear Daddy LLC
                > Eddy
                > 863-6966

              • kiterguuy
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Eddy are my snowpants in your car? Thanks

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Friday was right on the money. Clear and steady afternoon wind

                    Saturday - ??? on amount of snow and visibility,  I'll make my call by 11 am

                    Sunday still looks good.

                    I've got a pretty full car so let me know if ride is needed.

                    Eddy

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                      Looks like the winds should be good by mid afternoon.  I think I'll plan on leaving around 11:30

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                        good things, im headed out at 11:30 as well. see you guys up there

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                          Wow what wicked winds we had Saturday, 20-40 mph, what the heck!  Did anyone expect that? Ended up about 5 miles East of Hill City out on the flat marsh area, to get away from the really strong conditions. Steve, Hawk, and I put our 10m kites up had some mellow, some wild, and some holy S&#% moments, but the snow was deep.  KiterGuy got launched into outer space. I'm not sure he understands that Steve and I out weigh him by 50 pounds or more and that we can hold a slightly larger kite then most.  Hawk was thinking he was going to fly his 14m But he had second thoughts after seeing Kiterguy get launched - LMAOROTF.  After the Mayhem we went by Little Camas Resv and the winds were much mellower for 45 mins before dark - look like everyone had fun. Thanks for the phone call last night Jim that is the stuff that makes my day and the only reason why I like sharing this fun sport.

                          Sunday, Sunday, Sunday - another weird forecast but I think we will find wind some where. Departing at 11am. I'm in for 4 in a row.

                          Eddy

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                            it was interesting how we found that pocket of fun inside of the
                            storm.. for a time there it was blowing 15 consistently(14m time).
                            ofcourse Eddie was correct in suggesting caution because as soon as
                            I pulled out the 14 it starting Nuking again! well atleast we got
                            to have some good fun in some of the most pristine powder I have
                            found this year. Nice back and front rolls Eddie(i liked your grabs
                            on the front rolls, im gonna work on that one). Good Job to
                            KiterGuuy and Jim. you guys rode like champs down in the valley...

                            time for more, see you at 11
                            hawk

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                              Wind is getting weirder waiting to see something before heading out

                              href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                                super-funkalicious up at Camas..... im going KGBing in Caldwell,
                                steady ESE at 16.