Re: Long term weather prognosis

  • kiterguuy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
      THATS DEPREASING

      > On NPR today I heard a NWS meorologist quoted as saying that
      January/February is when we typically feel the effects of the dreaded
      El Nino. He stated that this will normally cause unseasonably high
      temps in our region, and a split flow sending most storms to the
      south and north of us throughout January into February.

      > To throw on my $1.50 worth of BS:
      >
      > The split flow will be caused by a substantial high pressure cell
      sitting on top of us. The bad news is we won't be seeing a whole lot
      of wind or new snow. The good news is it also means inversions. Not
      always a good thing, but in terms of preserving our snowpack on the
      Camas to await the storms of late Feb through April, it is a God
      send. Like 2 and 3 years ago, when all the ski resorts were closing
      up from lack of snow, the temps on the Camus were extemely low,
      keeping us safe from melt off.

      > The good news is it looks good Thur, fri, Sun. Maybe Sat. Should
      be picking op a few inches of snow today/tonight.

      > My advice is to hit it hard this week/weekend, steady our hearts
      for 4-6 weeks of agonizing withdrawl, and pray for a wicked good
      Feb/March.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
        Thursday leaving at 2:15

        Friday same thing

        Eddy

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
          What's 'depreasing?'

          > On NPR today I heard a NWS meorologist quoted as saying that
          January/February is when we typically feel the effects of the dreaded
          El Nino. He stated that this will normally cause unseasonably high
          temps in our region, and a split flow sending most storms to the
          south and north of us throughout January into February.

          > To throw on my $1.50 worth of BS:
          >
          > The split flow will be caused by a substantial high pressure cell
          sitting on top of us. The bad news is we won't be seeing a whole lot
          of wind or new snow. The good news is it also means inversions. Not
          always a good thing, but in terms of preserving our snowpack on the
          Camas to await the storms of late Feb through April, it is a God
          send. Like 2 and 3 years ago, when all the ski resorts were closing
          up from lack of snow, the temps on the Camus were extemely low,
          keeping us safe from melt off.

          > The
          good news is it looks good Thur, fri, Sun. Maybe Sat. Should
          be picking op a few inches of snow today/tonight.

          > My advice is to hit it hard this week/weekend, steady our hearts
          for 4-6 weeks of agonizing withdrawl, and pray for a wicked good
          Feb/March.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • rostolee
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
            Why is it cool to be illiterate and to be unable use spellcheck?

            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
            wrote:

            > What's 'depreasing?'

          • rostolee
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
              ooops.... *to* use spellcheck ....

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                Well Thursday was sweet but wind did not last very long but when it was on it was stellar.  I got one of my biggest and longest jumps this season, Not sure on peak height but easy 30ft & distance was minimum of 4 line lengths.

                Friday - blowing hard already headed up with Darrel at 2:15.

                Saturday - looks promising

                Sunday - looks promising

                Still have a couple Elements left if anyone is looking for a inexpensive snowkite.

                Gear Daddy LLC
                Eddy
                863-6966
              • hawkicd11
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                  blown out? its nuking up there right now, do you think it will
                  steady out by 3?

                  --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"
                  <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                  > Well Thursday was sweet but wind did not last very long but when
                  it was on
                  > it was stellar. I got one of my biggest and longest jumps this
                  season, Not
                  > sure on peak height but easy 30ft & distance was minimum of 4 line
                  lengths.
                  > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                  s=97359714/grpId=14092643/grpspId=1705065786/msgI
                  > d=985/stime=1168007659/nc1=3848541/nc2=2/nc3=3>
                  >
                  > Friday - blowing hard already headed up with Darrel at 2:15.
                  >
                  > Saturday - looks promising
                  >
                  > Sunday - looks promising
                  >
                  > Still have a couple Elements left if anyone is looking for a
                  inexpensive
                  > snowkite.
                  >

                  > Gear Daddy LLC
                  > Eddy
                  > 863-6966

                • kiterguuy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Eddy are my snowpants in your car? Thanks

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                      Friday was right on the money. Clear and steady afternoon wind

                      Saturday - ??? on amount of snow and visibility,  I'll make my call by 11 am

                      Sunday still looks good.

                      I've got a pretty full car so let me know if ride is needed.

                      Eddy

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                        Looks like the winds should be good by mid afternoon.  I think I'll plan on leaving around 11:30

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                          good things, im headed out at 11:30 as well. see you guys up there

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                            Wow what wicked winds we had Saturday, 20-40 mph, what the heck!  Did anyone expect that? Ended up about 5 miles East of Hill City out on the flat marsh area, to get away from the really strong conditions. Steve, Hawk, and I put our 10m kites up had some mellow, some wild, and some holy S&#% moments, but the snow was deep.  KiterGuy got launched into outer space. I'm not sure he understands that Steve and I out weigh him by 50 pounds or more and that we can hold a slightly larger kite then most.  Hawk was thinking he was going to fly his 14m But he had second thoughts after seeing Kiterguy get launched - LMAOROTF.  After the Mayhem we went by Little Camas Resv and the winds were much mellower for 45 mins before dark - look like everyone had fun. Thanks for the phone call last night Jim that is the stuff that makes my day and the only reason why I like sharing this fun sport.

                            Sunday, Sunday, Sunday - another weird forecast but I think we will find wind some where. Departing at 11am. I'm in for 4 in a row.

                            Eddy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                              it was interesting how we found that pocket of fun inside of the
                              storm.. for a time there it was blowing 15 consistently(14m time).
                              ofcourse Eddie was correct in suggesting caution because as soon as
                              I pulled out the 14 it starting Nuking again! well atleast we got
                              to have some good fun in some of the most pristine powder I have
                              found this year. Nice back and front rolls Eddie(i liked your grabs
                              on the front rolls, im gonna work on that one). Good Job to
                              KiterGuuy and Jim. you guys rode like champs down in the valley...

                              time for more, see you at 11
                              hawk

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                                Wind is getting weirder waiting to see something before heading out

                                href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                                  super-funkalicious up at Camas..... im going KGBing in Caldwell,
                                  steady ESE at 16.