La Ventana update...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 305 KB
    Windy most days & lots of kiting since last update.

    Day before yesterday little wind @ Baja Joe's, but sweet up north here so lots of folks came up.  Mellow wind for throwin' the new tricks w/o the spankin'.  After best session yet, tide was right to dig hot tub pool along beach and warm up w/ cerveza's & friends brought guac & totopos & tequila.  Attached a pic.  There is area on beach near waterline that has geo hot water upwelling beneath the sand.  Wiggle feet into sand to find hotspots.  Then dig shallow pit  just down to water table.  The water in pit will be too hot to stand in.  Dig another hole to provide hot water supply.  Spread a heavy tarp inside the bigger pit and start bucketing mix of cool sea water & hot water into the tarp until temp is right.  the hot water/sand under the tarp acts like burner on an oven, keeping water on top of tarp warm.  No better way to end a sesh than toasty warm w/ Pacificos in hand.  Stick your head up and look out between feetsies onto water and get sea level view out to Cerralvo Island...looks like your own giant disappearing edge pool.  and Moon coming up early over south tip of Cerralvo.  A pic for Corona commercial for sure.  Doesn't get any better.

    yesterday no wind, so we took motorcycles on a rugged, little used trail over a small mountain pass linking Los Planes to Los Barriles.  Stunning scenery.  Crystal green waters with fantastic visibility.  It's on south side of Bahia de los Muertos and Punta Arenas so sheltered more from wind & swell.  Long deserted white sand beaches.  Jaw dropping.  Bringing snorkel stuff next time.  Get lobsters for sure.  But us dodos failed to bring cameras!  Do that again before leaving.

    Last couple days boats been catching Yellow Fin Tuna right off Baja Joes.  A new friend gave us a load for sashimi.

    Demo'd Wainman's the other day...tried 9m & 10.5.  Definitely sweet kites.  Like you to play hard on 'em.  Also tried a friends 2009 North Vegas 12.  Way powerful 12m and one of most durably built kites I've seen.  Dave Tyburski living down here and hosting John Perry (John may be gone now, not sure), and invited us to come demo Airush kites.  Dave is rep for Airush and John a team rider.

    Rusty/Annie now here, and Mike Z., and Gavin arrives today.  Cloudy & light drizzly rainy today so may get to La Paz for errands & pickup Gavin.  We'll see.

    All for now

    Juan
    Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2012

      Jon,

      You’re ‘livin the dream’.  After a cold snowy gray day in Eastern Idaho I read your post.  So awesome.  Wish we were there too.  Maybe next year.

      Thanks for sharing the stoke.  I always wondered why they called that area hot springs.  Now I know.

      The fresh tuna sounds great.  Tell the Boise crew hello.  Will be hoping for more good wind.

      -JBrick