Re: [snowkiteidaho] Snowkite Masters

  • Will Hise
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
      Greg

      Have fun down there!

      I would check out Mission Surf in Pacific Beach. Bob is a cool guy and I know he rents decent SUPs. You can join the mob just up the beach at Tourmaline. If it gets windy, you'll see the kite crew rigging just south of the turmo parking lot.

      You probably won't die without a wetsuit, but you will no be very happy. For SUP you can get away with a 3/2 if you're hardy and stay on the board.  Renting a wetsuit has never been my thing. If you can squeeze into a L I have two suits down there staying with friends that you're welcome to try. Both are old 4/3 surf suits that will keep you warm, but not comfortable.

      If you're in the north county area, check out Xdream Sportz (soon to be AmpedBoardsports) on Lomas Sante Fe. The owner, John, is a good friend of mine and is also the only decent kite shop left in town. He's moving towards SUPs in the shop, but I'm not sure if he rents yet. Ask for a demo. :)

      I think there are a lot of other shops that now rent gear. I can't speak to their quality as they all just jumped on it to make some extra money.

      As far as other spots, there are lots of mellow breaks you can easily paddle to in north county to stay away from agro surfers. You can park in Del Mar, Torrey Pines, Cardiff Reef or anywhere in Carlsbad and easily carry your board to the water. The cliff areas make the walk up the stairs after a long session brutal. Just remember to paddle away from the main breaks were there are a lot of surfers or you'll get some grief.
      Turmo in PB is good but crowded, Mission beach is wide open but crap waves usually, Ocean beach (OB) can be fine if it's not crowded but avoid the pier crew.

      Hope that helps, call me if you have more questions.

      --Will

      760-822-0151

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM, <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

      Hey Will, I have a trip to SDiego next week thinking it would be cool to get some suping in any advice on breaks for noobs, rental shacks w/ quality gear and is wet suits a must this time o' year? Thanks greg.
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: Will Hise <will.hise@...>
      Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:43:19 -0700
      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Snowkite Masters

      Me too me too!

      Best day of the year to surf in SoCal is Superbowl Sunday, during the game. Seeing how crowded Idaho is with kiters, it should be a great time to get away from the crowd... of 4.

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      I just can't bring myself to do drive to SLC.

      Fortunately, we have a good looking weekend in store here.  Heading to LR both Sat/Sun.

      Eddy

      On Jan 31, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:

      Cool. If you stay here you can show me the secret spots and I might even let you fly my ultralite.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
        Thanks Will, great info. I've got a day and a half to play and want to make the most of it. Thanks for the offer on the suit but not enough bacon lard around to get me into a large (maybe I ate too much of it) I'm really looking forward to some sunshine. Hope you guys get some wind this weekend.
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Will Hise <will.hise@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:49:44 -0700