Re: [snowkiteidaho] Snowkite Masters

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2 7:42 AM
      I just can't bring myself to do drive to SLC.

      Fortunately, we have a good looking weekend in store here.  Heading to LR both Sat/Sun.

      Eddy

      Cool. If you stay here you can show me the secret spots and I might even let you fly my ultralite.

      • daflyinhawaiian64@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2 3:21 PM
          Hey Will, I have a trip to SDiego next week thinking it would be cool to get some suping in any advice on breaks for noobs, rental shacks w/ quality gear and is wet suits a must this time o' year? Thanks greg.
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: Will Hise <will.hise@...>
          Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:43:19 -0700
          To: <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Snowkite Masters

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2 3:27 PM
            Hey Greg,

            You can also ask on this group:

            http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php

            Paddle on!

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2 3:49 PM
              Greg

              Have fun down there!

              I would check out Mission Surf in Pacific Beach. Bob is a cool guy and I know he rents decent SUPs. You can join the mob just up the beach at Tourmaline. If it gets windy, you'll see the kite crew rigging just south of the turmo parking lot.

              You probably won't die without a wetsuit, but you will no be very happy. For SUP you can get away with a 3/2 if you're hardy and stay on the board.  Renting a wetsuit has never been my thing. If you can squeeze into a L I have two suits down there staying with friends that you're welcome to try. Both are old 4/3 surf suits that will keep you warm, but not comfortable.

              If you're in the north county area, check out Xdream Sportz (soon to be AmpedBoardsports) on Lomas Sante Fe. The owner, John, is a good friend of mine and is also the only decent kite shop left in town. He's moving towards SUPs in the shop, but I'm not sure if he rents yet. Ask for a demo. :)

              I think there are a lot of other shops that now rent gear. I can't speak to their quality as they all just jumped on it to make some extra money.

              As far as other spots, there are lots of mellow breaks you can easily paddle to in north county to stay away from agro surfers. You can park in Del Mar, Torrey Pines, Cardiff Reef or anywhere in Carlsbad and easily carry your board to the water. The cliff areas make the walk up the stairs after a long session brutal. Just remember to paddle away from the main breaks were there are a lot of surfers or you'll get some grief.
              Turmo in PB is good but crowded, Mission beach is wide open but crap waves usually, Ocean beach (OB) can be fine if it's not crowded but avoid the pier crew.

              Hope that helps, call me if you have more questions.

              --Will

              760-822-0151

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2 3:59 PM
                Thanks Will, great info. I've got a day and a half to play and want to make the most of it. Thanks for the offer on the suit but not enough bacon lard around to get me into a large (maybe I ate too much of it) I'm really looking forward to some sunshine. Hope you guys get some wind this weekend.
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2 4:27 PM
                  Excellent! Thanks Mike.
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T