Re: [snowkiteidaho] Coast trip

  • mike stone
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
      We're in Newport for the long weekend.  9meter and the directional today at South Jetty.  Fish and chips as I type this and then SUPping Agate for dessert.   Whoo hoo.

      Wind is still going and is forecasted to hold.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011

        Hey Mike,

        It sounds like a good place to be. From the wind chart, it looks like today was the day to be out. Do you think the next couple of days look good? Saturday forecast looks like offshore conditions.

        How crowded is the south jetty area? Does the jetty block most of the surf? This will be my first time in the surf. I'm hoping for small waves and some room so I don't interfere with other kiters.

        Thanks,
        Josh

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
          Hey Josh,

          Just got in from a morning SUP sesh.  The OR coast rocks when it is on. I did have it handed to me a few times.  Going over the falls is a quick wake up call that the coast compounds mistakes.

           So that is theme of any advice on kiting here, cold with powerful shore breaks deserves attention.  BUT,  The south jetty is about the friendliest wave spot on the coast. The chop is calmed down due to the jetty in a north wind, but the surf still rolls in.  I don't see where it is turning off shore in the near term during daylight hours. There is bound to be other kiters, but never crowded. Most are cool, only got cock blocked off a few beauties...TGINSoCal  (thank god its not...)

          Wind is picking up, time to GU down and suit up. Come on out!

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
            If it get's light in Newport... head to Manzo... they have small microclimate that can turn on when other places are not.

            Enjoy.... I love the Oregon Coast!!!!

            Just got in from a morning SUP sesh.  The OR coast rocks when it is on. I did have it handed to me a few times.  Going over the falls is a quick wake up call that the coast compounds mistakes.

             So that is theme of any advice on kiting here, cold with powerful shore breaks deserves attention.  BUT,  The south jetty is about the friendliest wave spot on the coast. The chop is calmed down due to the jetty in a north wind, but the surf still rolls in.  I don't see where it is turning off shore in the near term during daylight hours. There is bound to be other kiters, but never crowded. Most are cool, only got cock blocked off a few beauties...TGINSoCal  (thank god its not...)

            Wind is picking up, time to GU down and suit up. Come on out!

            I'm headed that direction today. Might give it a try Saturday at South Beach in Newport if the wind...

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
              Hope to send report from Manzo tomorrow

              Jack Harrison/HyQual
              208.861.1654

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
                Send a couple pictures to fully feel the stoke.... I'm crossing my fingers.

                -JBrick

[...]

              • Josh Woodland
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011

                  Got a couple of hours in this afternoon at Newport's South Beach. First time riding surf. Wind was a smooth 20 mph. Surf and wind were a lot different experience compared to Lucky Peak.  The rodeo wasn't in the sky, but there was plenty of bucking at water level (waves pretty close together).  Session ended with a rolled kite and a 1' tear near the wingtip.

                  Despite the trouble, it was a good time.  Definitely worth another trip.

                  Josh