Re: [snowkiteidaho] American Falls Res. whopper

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2011
      American Falls was awesome...except for the wind!  The Whopper fish was the talk of the town until I showed up, ;-).

      It did blow and I did kite both Tuesday and Wednesday, to continue my run for 5 in a row hoping it hits again this morning at LP, just waiting out the lull.

      Anyway, AFR wind forecast was downhill, so we came home. However the wind I played in was the smoothest wind I have ever experienced in Idaho, and it was better than Texas smooth wind. I set my stopper ball and it did not move the entire sessions.  We will be going back hopefully very soon to see if the stronger winds are the same.

      Currently AFR is 100% full, which is rare for this time of year apparently. We stayed in the Willow Bay camp ground at site #18 which was amazing, actually 15-19 are great sites. Water was perfect no wetsuit temp and wind was 13-19 mph.  The wind gust (not fair to call them gusts) were never abrupt but instead go up and down very slowly.  Since the water was all the way up the best launch was at the boat ramp off the dock, but when water is low there is supposedly a huge beach that would be perfect for us.  Campground host loved the show and wants us to return soon with friends. They said they have only seen 1 other kiter.

      The boat launch was protected by a large wrap around jetty, which made for butter smooth water on leeward side.  SWEET!!!!

      Eddy @ Gear Daddy LLC
      208-863-6966

      On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Tom von Alten wrote:

      I don't know about the wind Eddy, maybe you shoulda gone fishing.

      http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/126260078.html

      34# rainbow trout if you can believe it. (I'm having a little trouble, myself.)
      Tom von Alten       http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...