Re: [snowkiteidaho] Lake Lowell today..

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2011
      Just got back from attending most of that meeting. (I got there 10
      min. or so after it started, while Deputy Prosecutor Sam Laugheed was
      giving his presentation about how the Feds don't own Lake Lowell's
      water.) Very entertaining political theater. They had 2 dozen local
      politicos, preferred NGO reps, and Congressional staffers around the
      table, all given a chance to have their say about how the Feds were
      the enemy and no way were we giving up our water and our lake.

      Only two of the CanCo commissioners were there, so they didn't take
      the formal action they'd advertised of issuing a Proclamation, but
      they did have a chance to read it out loud. I got a copy of the
      100-ish pages of material they've put together, correspondence, etc.

      The Refuge Manager, Jennifer Scott-Brown was there, uninvited; she'd
      read about it in the newspaper too, sounds like, said she came on her
      day off to hear what was said. At one point she stood up to offer some
      information about the comment period, planning process, etc. and
      Commission Chairman David Ferdinand pretty much cut her off.

      Someone else's inquiry did finally give her the chance to point out
      that they going to start working on the draft plan in August, and
      while they've asked for comments by July 29, they will still accept
      and consider comments after the deadline, AND there'll be another
      round of comments when they publish their Draft in the spring.

      I'll have more in my blog later today. Mike Butts was there reporting
      for the Idaho Press Tribune. Here's his short blog entry:
      http://www.idahopress.com/news/local/government/county-says-deer-flat-has-no-authority-over-lake-lowell/article_4b5c14c2-b481-11e0-9b4e-001cc4c002e0.html
      (or go to http://www.idahopress.com/users/profile/mbutts/ if that
      hideous URL is broken)

      and he'll have a longer piece for tomorrow's paper, I assume.

      For my part, I introduced myself to Jennifer after the meeting,
      mentioned the BSA,
      thanked her for the work she does, and wished her the best of luck.
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...