Re: [BSA] Triathlon tomorrow morning at Barclay Bay???

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
      Rumor is true- Spudman is Saturday. Waiting for details from ACE- apparently Barclay is still open to public. Don't know how. Will post more when ACE returns call.

      Eddy

      On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

      >> I just ran into a friend who's a triathlete, and he said the Spudman
      >> Triathlon is going to have 200 swimmers head into the water at Barclay Bay
      >> tomorrow morning, with individuals starting at 8:45 a.m. and teams at 9 a.m.
      >> It had been scheduled for Spring Shores, but he said it was moved because of
      >> bridge construction. I haven't heard a thing about this, and I am expecting
      >> wind tomorrow morning at LP and was planning to sail. ...
      >
      > What's this, Betsy Russell not on top of the news?!
      >
      > Quick search confirms the date - Sat., July 9 - and the change of
      > swim venue to Barclay Bay, according to this here:
      >
      > http://www.ymcatvidaho.org/programs/races/triathlons/7092011-spudman-triathlon
      >
      > The map of the swim course makes it look like they figured out how to screw
      > up BOTH Barclay Bay and Turner's Gulch.
    • Chris Lee
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
        Looks like the US Army Corps of Engineers released this on July 1:
        http://www.nww.usace.army.mil/html/offices/pa/NR/NR11_files/11-103BarclayBayClosureNotice.pdf

        And it's probable to launch at Turner but driving out may be a hassle...

        On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

        Rumor is true- Spudman is Saturday. Waiting for details from ACE- apparently Barclay is still open to public. Don't know how. Will post more when ACE returns call.

        Eddy

        On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

        >> I just ran into a friend who's a triathlete, and he said the Spudman
        >> Triathlon is going to have 200 swimmers head into the water at Barclay Bay
        >> tomorrow morning, with individuals starting at 8:45 a.m. and teams at 9 a.m.
        >> It had been scheduled for Spring Shores, but he said it was moved because of
        >> bridge construction. I haven't heard a thing about this, and I am expecting
        >> wind tomorrow morning at LP and was planning to sail. ...
        >
        > What's this, Betsy Russell not on top of the news?!
        >
        > Quick search confirms the date - Sat., July 9 - and the change of
        > swim venue to Barclay Bay, according to this here:
        >
        > http://www.ymcatvidaho.org/programs/races/triathlons/7092011-spudman-triathlon
        >
        > The map of the swim course makes it look like they figured out how to screw
        > up BOTH Barclay Bay and Turner's Gulch.

        Best regards,

        Chris Lee
      • Jim Tighe
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
          since Barclay Bay parking lot will be closed at 6am we might have to be there by 5:30AM.   Then the problem will probably be on our return after a great morning of sailing.  I would hate to run over a swimmer.  So it might be true "if you snooze you loose" tomorrow.  Of course all this depends upon some wind tomorrow which the swimmers will hate.
          Jim Tighe
          Gem State Gymnastics Academy/Tighe Gym Sales
          5420 W State
          Boise, Idaho 83703
          208-859-1397 cell; 208-853-3220 gym

          Tom, it looks to me from that map like we could launch from Turner and stay up-canyon and be just fine, but the question is: Are they closing Barclay, and if so at what time? Are they closing Turner? And why haven't they told us about any of this? At least those are my questions.
            You're right, I don't like to not be on top of the news... particularly when it affects my sailing!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
            Barclay will be closed.

            Turner is open.

            I'm launching the VP. If windy

            Eddy

            On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

            Assuming it blows and assuming no one stops me, I plan to launch at Turner and just stay up-canyon. I certainly don't want to sail over where 200 people are swimming - though my friend said he'd draft off my board if he can. : )

            On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
            since Barclay Bay parking lot will be closed at 6am we might have to be there by 5:30AM.   Then the problem will probably be on our return after a great morning of sailing.  I would hate to run over a swimmer.  So it might be true "if you snooze you loose" tomorrow.  Of course all this depends upon some wind tomorrow which the swimmers will hate.
            Jim Tighe
            Gem State Gymnastics Academy/Tighe Gym Sales
            5420 W State
            Boise, Idaho 83703

            Tom, it looks to me from that map like we could launch from Turner and stay up-canyon and be just fine, but the question is: Are they closing Barclay, and if so at what time? Are they closing Turner? And why haven't they told us about any of this? At least those are my questions.
              You're right, I don't like to not be on top of the news... particularly when it affects my sailing!

            On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:
            > I just ran into a friend who's a triathlete, and he said the Spudman
            > Triathlon is going to have 200 swimmers head into the water at Barclay Bay
            > tomorrow morning, with individuals starting at 8:45 a.m. and teams at 9 a.m.
            > It had been scheduled for Spring Shores, but he said it was moved because of
            > bridge construction. I haven't heard a thing about this, and I am expecting
            > wind tomorrow morning at LP and was planning to sail. ...

            What's this, Betsy Russell not on top of the news?!

            Quick search confirms the date - Sat., July 9 - and the change of
            swim venue to Barclay Bay, according to this here:

            http://www.ymcatvidaho.org/programs/races/triathlons/7092011-spudman-triathlon

            The map of the swim course makes it look like they figured out how to screw
            up BOTH Barclay Bay and Turner's Gulch.

          • Josh Woodland
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011

              What's the VP?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                Super secret.  View point launch.

                Eddy

                On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

                What's the VP?

                On Jul 8, 2011 1:36 PM, "Gear Daddy LLC" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                Barclay will be closed.

                Turner is open.

                I'm launching the VP. If windy

                Eddy

                On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

                Assuming it blows and assuming no one stops me, I plan to launch at Turner and just stay up-canyon. I certainly don't want to sail over where 200 people are swimming - though my friend said he'd draft off my board if he can. : )

                > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> since Bar...

              • David Jakious
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                  Is that a challenging launch/land?  I can't imagine it would be for the lesser skilled.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                    It is an ugly drift launch, as long as kite does not tumble or other bad things. I don't want to find out what I'd have to do if it goes bad.

                    Landing is pretty trick and easy if you can thread a needle and nail the drop point. Otherwise self rescue.

                    Put it this way my wife said "I'll wait until Sunday, even though tomorrow will be stellar due to the race screwing us up!"

                    I'll be there at 7 if you want to see a technique.

                    Eddy

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                      Eddy, any idea what time they'll close Barclay?  Maybe we could get there early enough and launch before it's closed off...?

                      On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                      It is an ugly drift launch, as long as kite does not tumble or other bad things. I don't want to find out what I'd have to do if it goes bad.

                      Landing is pretty trick and easy if you can thread a needle and nail the drop point. Otherwise self rescue.

                      Put it this way my wife said "I'll wait until Sunday, even though tomorrow will be stellar due to the race screwing us up!"

                      I'll be there at 7 if you want to see a technique.

                      Eddy

                      On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:09 PM, David Jakious <davidjakious@...> wrote:

                      Is that a challenging launch/land?  I can't imagine it would be for the lesser skilled.

                      On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                      Super secret.  View point launch.

                      Eddy

                      On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

                      What's the VP?

                      On Jul 8, 2011 1:36 PM, "Gear Daddy LLC" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                      Barclay will be closed.

                      Turner is open.

                      I'm launching the VP. If windy

                      Eddy

                      On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

                      Assuming it blows and assuming no one stops me, I plan to launch at Turner and just stay up-canyon. I certainly don't want to sail over where 200 people are swimming - though my friend said he'd draft off my board if he can. : )

                      > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> since Bar...

                    • David Jakious
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                        Would the hike to Brickner Beach still be an option this time of year?  Never launched there, but I'm not going to risk VP.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                          Coast guard and sheriff will not allow our activity.  Closed 6-12

                          Eddy

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                            Brickner beach would work for launch.  But not sure how to land any where close to there???   That's uglier they vp Landing I think, but I've never tried.

                            Eddy

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                              Also if you screw up and can't launch or land, you'll drift right thru swim course.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                                Ah, I see...I suppose could getup early 5pm and make it out of Barclay before the place is close off, but it's the coming back into Barclay that'd be bigger problem.  I supposed could exit at Turner.  Think I'll wait until Sunday.

                                Eddy, just setup on top of overlook & take a leap & glide on down !!!

                                Jon

                                On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                Coast guard and sheriff will not allow our activity.  Closed 6-12

                                Eddy

                                On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:

                                Eddy, any idea what time they'll close Barclay?  Maybe we could get there early enough and launch before it's closed off...?

                                On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                It is an ugly drift launch, as long as kite does not tumble or other bad things. I don't want to find out what I'd have to do if it goes bad.

                                Landing is pretty trick and easy if you can thread a needle and nail the drop point. Otherwise self rescue.

                                Put it this way my wife said "I'll wait until Sunday, even though tomorrow will be stellar due to the race screwing us up!"

                                I'll be there at 7 if you want to see a technique.

                                Eddy

                                On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:09 PM, David Jakious <davidjakious@...> wrote:

                                Is that a challenging launch/land?  I can't imagine it would be for the lesser skilled.

                                On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                Super secret.  View point launch.

                                Eddy

                                On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

                                What's the VP?

                                On Jul 8, 2011 1:36 PM, "Gear Daddy LLC" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                Barclay will be closed.

                                Turner is open.

                                I'm launching the VP. If windy

                                Eddy

                                On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

                                Assuming it blows and assuming no one stops me, I plan to launch at Turner and just stay up-canyon. I certainly don't want to sail over where 200 people are swimming - though my friend said he'd draft off my board if he can. : )

                                > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> since Bar...

                              • David Jakious
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                                  I'll wait to Sunday!  Not worth the risk to access for everyone else if something goes wrong.

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                  Also if you screw up and can't launch or land, you'll drift right thru swim course.

                                  Eddy

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:02 PM, David Jakious <davidjakious@...> wrote:

                                  Would the hike to Brickner Beach still be an option this time of year?  Never launched there, but I'm not going to risk VP.

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:

                                  Eddy, any idea what time they'll close Barclay?  Maybe we could get there early enough and launch before it's closed off...?

                                  On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                  It is an ugly drift launch, as long as kite does not tumble or other bad things. I don't want to find out what I'd have to do if it goes bad.

                                  Landing is pretty trick and easy if you can thread a needle and nail the drop point. Otherwise self rescue.

                                  Put it this way my wife said "I'll wait until Sunday, even though tomorrow will be stellar due to the race screwing us up!"

                                  I'll be there at 7 if you want to see a technique.

                                  Eddy

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:09 PM, David Jakious <davidjakious@...> wrote:

                                  Is that a challenging launch/land?  I can't imagine it would be for the lesser skilled.

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                  Super secret.  View point launch.

                                  Eddy

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

                                  What's the VP?

                                  On Jul 8, 2011 1:36 PM, "Gear Daddy LLC" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                                  Barclay will be closed.

                                  Turner is open.

                                  I'm launching the VP. If windy

                                  Eddy

                                  On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

                                  Assuming it blows and assuming no one stops me, I plan to launch at Turner and just stay up-canyon. I certainly don't want to sail over where 200 people are swimming - though my friend said he'd draft off my board if he can. : )

                                  > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> since Bar...

                                • Jim Tighe
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011

                                    Are you saying the Coast Guard and LP will not let us park in Barclay lot before 6 and launch?  Sailboards could launch from the lookout but early out would be nice.

                                    James R. Tighe

                                    5420 W State St.

                                    Boise, Idaho 83703

                                    208-853-3220 Gym; 208-859-1397 Cell