Re: [snowkiteidaho] self teaching

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 26, 2011
      My bet is for a good lesson at the gorge with waverunner support. Then do the upwind hike to the bay at lucky peak or have eddy help.  I could have shaved years off my leading curve by using eddy's help.

      Regards,
      -Jason Brickner
      Olympus Controls
      (208)-475-4670

      On Jun 26, 2011, at 7:12 AM, "steve linane" <itile@...> wrote:

      Dear trustedfungus
      Everyone is well intentioned . and Im sure you feel a bit bet up on sorry for that , once you get to know these guys they are supper dudes  . the problem is there just isnt a good place around here to do a body drag ( down winder ) the best place I can think of is CJ strike reservoir on a NW day start up by the dam on the south side and take out at the campground east of Black Sands . but do this only with some experienced help , CJ is one gusty mo fo and launch and landing is touch and go . Also  you cant get out of the water with your kit , too many trees so you need to land the kite in the water and self rescue . here is where some help comes in handy also . Its also possible to body drag the Snake river I did this when I was learning but I had the advantage of knowing the place very well from windsurfing there for many years prier . help would be needed there also .The other possibility is Lucky Peck witch many of the guys that responded have dun , its a hike to To Cavaiani Cove / Brickner Beach , water launch take a very short drag and then self rescue before you hit the rocks , this is not advised . and then there is the Gorge
      Steve'O
      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      From: idakiteman@...
      Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:50:02 -0600
      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] self teaching

      Where around here were you thinking of doing this?  Who would help you launch & land?

      On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, trustedfungus <geoffaparker@...> wrote:

      I am fairly fluent with flying my sails and how the window affects the pull on the rider. My question is how safe would it be to teach myself water dragging. Not that I am too cheap to pay eddy for lessons but I feel safe doing so and would like another opinion.

    • daflyinhawaiian64@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 26, 2011
        Tom C. Spoke very highly of the kiting center at Floras lake on the Or. Coast. With your knowledge of wind and sails you could get a lot of the basics covered in a few days.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:57:18 -0700
        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com<snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com<snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: idakiteman@...
        Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:50:02 -0600

        Where around here were you thinking of doing this?  Who would help you launch & land?

        On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, trustedfungus <geoffaparker@...> wrote:

        I am fairly fluent with flying my sails and how the window affects the pull on the rider. My question is how safe would it be to teach myself water dragging. Not that I am too cheap to pay eddy for lessons but I feel safe doing so and would like another opinion.

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 26, 2011
          If you are looking to teach yourself my recommendation is South Padre Island Texas. Lots of open beach, plenty of people to help you launch and land. Bay side is miles and miles of chest deep warm water where you can stand up, sort out your S@#$ or walk back up wind or into shore. If you need a lesson plenty of qualified teachers as a fall back. Spring and fall are best season both for wind and very cheap lodging and Eats.
          Good Luck

          --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "trustedfungus" <geoffaparker@...> wrote:

          > I am fairly fluent with flying my sails and how the window affects the pull on the rider. My question is how safe would it be to teach myself water dragging. Not that I am too cheap to pay eddy for lessons but I feel safe doing so and would like another opinion.

        • stefanoortelli
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 27, 2011
            I would change mind, and go for lessons

            Stefano

            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

            > If you are looking to teach yourself my recommendation is South Padre Island Texas. Lots of open beach, plenty of people to help you launch and land. Bay side is miles and miles of chest deep warm water where you can stand up, sort out your S@#$ or walk back up wind or into shore. If you need a lesson plenty of qualified teachers as a fall back. Spring and fall are best season both for wind and very cheap lodging and Eats.
            > Good Luck
            >
            > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "trustedfungus" <geoffaparker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am fairly fluent with flying my sails and how the window affects the pull on the rider. My question is how safe would it be to teach myself water dragging. Not that I am too cheap to pay eddy for lessons but I feel safe doing so and would like another opinion.

          • Donald S. Cryder
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2011
              Dear Trustfungus,  The fact that you are even considering self teaching kiting in this  area lets me know you do not have a complete understanding and respect of the sport.  A nine meter kite can generate in excess of 300 horse power in a heart beat fully wind loaded.  People have been killed, maimed and dismembered in this sport and many  of them have had considerably more experience than a beginner.  Control what you can in this sport.  Your knowledge and training you can control and that could save your life.  Learn the easy way or the hard way!......I suggest you find the local teachers with all the experience, equipment and local knowledge and just pay the piper!  Learn on your home court!  You can run off to SPI for two weeks and maybe get to the point of staying up wind.  Great but its not like launching at Barclay bay at ott thirty in the am.   If you are going to take up the sport in this region you really need to take careful assessment of the situation.  Asking the local kitrers for their opinion is a good start.  Good Luck!- On Sun, 6/26/11, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

              From: steve linane <itile@...>
              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 8:12 AM

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: idakiteman@...
              Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:50:02 -0600

              Where around here were you thinking of doing this?  Who would help you launch & land?

              On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, trustedfungus <geoffaparker@...> wrote:

              I am fairly fluent with flying my sails and how the window affects the pull on the rider. My question is how safe would it be to teach myself water dragging. Not that I am too cheap to pay eddy for lessons but I feel safe doing so and would like another opinion.

            • trustedfungus
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                I would like to thank every one for there input and responses. I knew in the back of my mind that trying such a dangerous sport on my own was a bad idea. I obviously sought advice from the right group of people. Training kites are fun to play around with and learn the basics of kiting. They are designed for that purpose. After all of the input I received over the past few days I have learned that if I expect to fully enjoy the sport properly professional instruction is crucial. Eddy just picked up another student. Thanks again
              • Jack Harrison
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                  A few comments.... I agree that lessons from an experienced kiter or
                  school should a be a given.

                  Then, once you can retrieve your board and stay upwind, there is still
                  plenty of opportunity to "learn" on your own. Many of us spent a few seasons
                  self-launching and "landing" at CC/BB, the little inlet you can hike to from
                  Turner Parking lot. The hike is not long, and the anticipation grows with
                  every step. Once you get out, you're in the middle to the channel with some
                  of the best wind, and nothing downwind to worry about. But, be prepared to
                  experience some frustration... as you learn to self-rescue.

                  After you're kite control improves some, landing at Barclay Bay isn't too
                  tough if there is a kite catcher. But, even with many years of experience,
                  anyone launching at BB is at risk.

                  All that said, kiting or sailing out in the middle of Lucky Peak reservoir
                  with the morning sun on the water is an incredible experience.

                  Only a few are so lucky!!!

                  Jack

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                      I agree 110%. Well said.

                      That was fun this morning.  2 more kiters joining the group, so please give room and welcome Katie & Cody to our playgrounds.  The guys for Sunday and Monday lessons were from Minnesota. So they will only visit one week in summer and one week in winter for kiting adventures.

                      Looks like we may stay local over the weekend as LP is the only place I see a chance of wind.

                      Eddy

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                        Agreed, lessons worth every bit of the cost. I wasn't aware of the local kite community last summer when I took my lessons in Florida. Otherwise, I would have looked up Eddy for sure.

                        Lucky Peak was great and as always thanks to Eddy and others for the tips, advice, and help.

                        But, one question after my first BB launch/land at LP. While I was out kiting I remember thinking, gee, what if something happens and I need to drift and end up going towards the dam. Is there an intake anywhere around there? Getting sucked up and spit out below would ruin a guy's session.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                          No intakes to worry about.  Just jagged rocks!!!

                          Eddy

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011

                            Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                            No intakes to worry about.  Just jagged rocks!!!

                            Eddy

                            On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:10 PM, "jwattboi" <jwattboi@...> wrote:

                            Agreed, lessons worth every bit of the cost. I wasn't aware of the local kite community last summer when I took my lessons in Florida. Otherwise, I would have looked up Eddy for sure.

                            Lucky Peak was great and as always thanks to Eddy and others for the tips, advice, and help.

                            But, one question after my first BB launch/land at LP. While I was out kiting I remember thinking, gee, what if something happens and I need to drift and end up going towards the dam. Is there an intake anywhere around there? Getting sucked up and spit out below would ruin a guy's session.

                            > I agree 110%. Well said.
                            >
                            > That was fun this morning. 2 more kiters joining the group, so please give room and welcome Katie & Cody to our playgrounds. The guys for Sunday and Monday lessons were from Minnesota. So they will only visit one week in summer and one week in winter for kiting adventures.
                            >
                            > Looks like we may stay local over the weekend as LP is the only place I see a chance of wind.
                            >
                            > Eddy
                            >

                            > On Jun 28, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Jim Tighe <jim@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Well said Jack. We r lucky to have such great wind n water so close to home that consistantly allows us to sail/kite.
                            > >
                            > > Jack Harrison <hyqual@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > A few comments.... I agree that lessons from an experienced kiter or
                            > > school should a be a given.
                            > >
                            > > Then, once you can retrieve your board and stay upwind, there is still
                            > > plenty of opportunity to "learn" on your own. Many of us spent a few seasons
                            > > self-launching and "landing" at CC/BB, the little inlet you can hike to from
                            > > Turner Parking lot. The hike is not long, and the anticipation grows with
                            > > every step. Once you get out, you're in the middle to the channel with some
                            > > of the best wind, and nothing downwind to worry about. But, be prepared to
                            > > experience some frustration... as you learn to self-rescue.
                            > >
                            > > After you're kite control improves some, landing at Barclay Bay isn't too
                            > > tough if there is a kite catcher. But, even with many years of experience,
                            > > anyone launching at BB is at risk.
                            > >
                            > > All that said, kiting or sailing out in the middle of Lucky Peak reservoir
                            > > with the morning sun on the water is an incredible experience.
                            > >
                            > > Only a few are so lucky!!!
                            > >
                            > > Jack

                          • william
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                              And their are some pretty large catfish that hang amongst the rocks its rumored that two years ago a kiter disappeared while self rescuing towards the dam...their one second gone the next so dont wear anything to shiny catfish are attracted to it.

                              Billy

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                                At least the dead cows aren't maneaters around the dam.

                              • Tom von Alten
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                                  > Is there an intake anywhere around there? Getting sucked
                                  > up and spit out below would ruin a guy's session.

                                  The intakes for the outlets are down at the bottom of the towers. If
                                  they're a problem for you, you're swimming a little deep, or else
                                  are already worry-free.

                                  See here: http://fortboise.org/images/LPdown110feet-sm.jpg
                                  _____________
                                  Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org/