Cascade

  • geardaddy@cableone.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006

      Wind Abducted,

      I hope the film was good to all those who got to see it. I thought it was great. sorry I missed the shin-dig, but I'm in Cascade scoping out the new snow kite scene. This place is going to be epic if we can figure out the wind thingy. Brad's family has a great cabin with excellent access to out the back door snowkiting. So we will definitely do a Boise Group Weekend up here.

      Brad and I got about 30mins of kitesurfing Saturday but the winds were really light 9-14 mph. Fortunately he has one of those ATV Rhino rigs that we could run up and down the beach so we did some downwinders for fun. If the wind blew here like everyone says it blows here this would be the most incredible kiting location. Beautiful sand beach, water is still pretty warm, and the scenery is awesome. One day I will have my "EPIC SESSION" up here! But for now looking forward to the snowfall and trying to do some snowkiting up here.

      Eddy

      __

    • Eddy Petranek
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
        Well once again Cascade did not dilever. But I did get a short
        session in both Sat and Sun. I was bumming so bad figuring you guys
        were getting it so good @ CJ on Sun. But I guess the wind was weak
        everywhere, except RCR.

        Lucky Peak should be on everymorning this week see ya up there.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
          Just Tom and myself at LP this morning.  Rest of week should go off...

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
            Tom,

            Where are you launching these days?

            -Jason

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
              still doing the hike of shame...lol...both of you guys can make Barclay work just body drag out past point and you will be out there..

              Eddy

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
                Sunday was pretty rock'n - almost my first upwind day
                at CJ - then one of my lines snapped - pretty good
                ride until the incident - here's new VIDS

                VIDS at
                http://web.mac.com/jclive/iWeb/VIDS/weekly.html

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
                  what length line do you need? I'll bring out some spares tomorrow if your coming up

                  Eddy

                  --- Eddy Petranek <geardaddy@cableone. net> wrote:

                  > Well once again Cascade did not dilever. But I did

                  get a short
                  > session in both Sat and Sun. I was bumming so bad

                  figuring you guys
                  > were getting it so good @ CJ on Sun. But I guess
                  the
                  > wind was weak
                  > everywhere, except RCR.
                  >
                  > Lucky
                  Peak should be on everymorning this week see
                  > ya up there.
                  >
                  > Eddy

                • j clive jordan
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 18, 2007
                    Thanks Eddy -

                    But I was able to cannibalize from other incidents...
                    i just happened to have 2 lines that were almost the
                    exact length as the originals --

                    And yes I plan on going to LP tomorrow - see you there

                    --- "Gear Daddy, LLC" <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                    > what length line do you need? I'll bring out some
                    > spares tomorrow if your
                    > coming up
                    >
                    > Eddy
                    >
                    > _____

                  • William Binegar
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 21, 2012
                      Eddy, Laura, Wendy, and I all have gotten out on Cascade this weekend.
                      Eddy was launching sky sky high on the 17m. Hope you get some Sunday
                      am, looking like it might happen again here tomorrow.

                      Bill
                    • William Binegar
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 1, 2012
                        40 minute session on the 17 at Cascade. Lots of fun.
                      • Josh Woodland
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 1, 2012

                          Where did you launch and land?

                          Josh

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 1, 2012
                            You are not missing anything down here.  But I do want my 17 back :-)

                            Also, looks like a little better wind for you tomorrow.  Get some monster air...just stay relaxed and keep kite over head until you land 10 mins later!!!!

                            Eddy

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
                                    I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                                    Message 18 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
                                      Billy G....you must be celebrity up there, huh?

                                      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

                                      [Attachment(s) from Bill Binegar included below]

                                      I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                    • Bill Binegar

                                        Message 20 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                          Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?

                                          Message 21 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                            Stefano, Bill Binegar knows best...he's up there every weekend, probably this weekend too.  If someone has his phone number they should email it to you so you can call him.  He'd be looking for a kiting buddy up there.  His email: billyg2477@...

                                            I've launched at one of the campgrounds on the northwest end of the reservoir.  I think it was Poison Creek or Amanita, or one of those (there are about 4 in a row along that stretch...just drive by & look for a grassy area big enough to launch).  Have to go to Donnelly, turn left toward West Mountain, then south when you come to the T in the road.  That road goes by Tamarack and parallels the reservoir.  Bill has a launch somewhere on south end I think.

                                            Two things to watch out for.  #1 thunderclouds forming over west mountain...they can send some NASTY winds down the slopes onto the lakes.  Be careful during hottest part of summer.  Watch the water for wind big squalls coming your way.  #2: the wind can quit SUDDENLY up there.  Don't go out farther than you care to swim w/ a limp & heavy foil!!.  I'm speaking from experience.

                                            On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM, stefanoortelli <sortelli@...> wrote:

                                            Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?

                                            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

                                            > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                                            >

                                            > Sent from my iPhone

                                          • Brian
                                            Message 22 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                              Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                                              ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.

                                              --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...> wrote:

                                              > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                                              >
                                              > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                                              > >

                                              > > Sent from my iPhone

                                            • Brian
                                              Message 23 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                                By the Way, this is the location where the Southern Idaho Sailing association holds its twice a year regatta. You will often see a hobie cat or two on this beach as well.

                                                --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                                                > Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                                                > ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.
                                                >
                                                > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Sent from my iPhone

                                              • Bill Binegar
                                                Message 24 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                                  Brian is absolutely right. Feel free to call Or text me though if in Cascade area. My phone number is 724-5029.  I am 10 miles north of the town of Cascade. I have a nice beach to launch from. On the weekends like today there were five boats and I don't know how many people on it. It rarely blows though. However if you only need 12 the 14 miles an hour that is fairly common. Signing off Billy G

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Jul 20, 2013, at 5:54 PM, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                                                  By the Way, this is the location where the Southern Idaho Sailing association holds its twice a year regatta. You will often see a hobie cat or two on this beach as well.

                                                  --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                                                  > Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                                                  > ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > Sent from my iPhone

                                                • stefanoortelli
                                                  Message 25 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                                                    Thanks, 12-14 mph is exactly right for my flysurfer. It also need big clean beach. Now that I know it might work, I'll definitively plan a visit to Cascade, and give you a call. Thanks for all the feedbacks