Re: [snowkiteidaho] Better mapping tool

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2011
      Yup, the USGS has a wealth of data.  If you're not interested in using a nuclear weapon
      to weed your lawn, however, you could take advantage of the local knowledge which
      I thoughtfully captured in an interactive Google map. Here's RCR:

      http://fortboise.org/maps/sailing-spots.html?ll=43.082482,-115.531528&z=13&t=h&i=10

      I don't know how well it works on a smartphone, but if somebody wants to give me one
      of those with a service contract, I'll be happy to optimize it.  :-)
      _____________
      Tom von Alten       http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM, tony williams <tonyswilliams@...> wrote:

      Greg RCR is the name given to the small reseviour at Hot Springs Creek off Bennet Rd.

      For you that want some more mapping tools besides the quick and dirty Google maps,   try using the US Geological Surveys map http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/  it has a lot more scale and lots of overlays that give you topo and greyscale down to 25 foot resolution. Good for identifying amount of sagebrush cover when looking for snow kiting areas.  Note,  Not for smartphones.
    • Kay Walst6on
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2011
        RCR..mud and cockleburs..???..that's my memory...hahaha...Oh and rocks!!! hahaha...what an adventure...I'm cracking up..

        Kay Walston, CRS, e-Pro
        Realtor - Top Producer

        Group-One Real Estate - Downtown

        kaywalston@...

        208-860-5053

        From: steve linane <itile@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 08:49:40 -0600
        To: <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

        drive east pass highway 20 take the first exit it is Organ trails or something , go north about 2 miles start looking for a dike on your left if you get to a fork in the road you have gone to far . you will know your in the write place if you see 20 wind generators , there are two dirt roads that take you to the top of the dike ( dam ) , you can park on top and walk down to the water or drive around to either side and park at the edge of the water . very shallow at the shore , some rock hazards in water , on average winder then any where else . keep a eye on the weather . storm sells move through and can turn on the wind very quickly . 20 one minute and 40 the next .

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: daflyinhawaiian64@...
        Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:02:28 +0000

        Where is RCR?

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: steve linane <itile@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:58:59 -0600
        To: <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

        it looked like RCR would of been the call yesterday and CJ would of worked also  . the WindAlert agrees with NOAA , witch is there they probably get there info..

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: davidjakious@...
        Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:13:20 -0700

        Is the C.J. reading accurate on WindAlert even though the location on the map seems off?  If so it was blowing over 20 for a couple hours this evening.  Would it have been a good place to hit or is it better later in the spring?

        Thanks for the advice.  Still getting the lay of the land.