RE: [snowkiteidaho] ICR Session

    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2011
      Rusty
      what were you sailing and where did you find 30 to 40 mph wind yesterday ? and what's the cat story ?
      Steve

      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      From: rustyshill@...
      Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:01:20 -0600
      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] ICR Session

      Ha ha. So Jason told you about our adventure yesterday? Sailing in 30-40mph wind isn't as fun as you may imagine. But, we are alive and the boat is still in one piece:)
      Rusty

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 3, 2011, at 8:51 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      Was not stellar but Jason and I kited at 5pm for a solid 30 mins. Then Jim T windsurfed while we packed up. Water is warmer and 100 degree rule was satisfied :-)

      Wind was up & down big time from 3-5. Almost drove home without. See ya next time. Thanks for sharing the Cat story Jason.

      Eddy Petranek

      On May 3, 2011, at 10:18 AM, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      Setting up for a stellar session at ICR. I'm busting tail to get my work done by 2 so I can be at ICR by 3. Last time I hit the road out there it was necessary to engage 4 wheel drive and throw some mud. if anyone would like a ride to water meet me at entrance to dirt road and jump in, plan to be there 2:30-2:45. Dirt road is just behind the Boise Stage stop (truck stop)

      Will update as I leave work in Nampa...

      Eddy

    • Jim Tighe
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2011
        Nice easy session to start the year.  Go board w/6.2 then the 7.5 which was fun.  Actually fell in w/the Go Board n the water was faily warm or my dry suit is thick.  Hope to have more this week.  Jim T

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2011
          Oh, Steve... where do I start? So Jason and I went to LL yesterday armed with enough toys to have fun regardless of what the wind was doing. (kites 9 and 13, my 16 foot catamaran, and Jason's two jetskis)  When we got there it was a good 20-24 mph SE wind. So we pumped up our kites (My harness is still with my wife in the DR) and Jason let me borrow his harness for a few minutes while the Sheriff checked the registration on his skis. Jason came back after about 10-15 minutes. I landed my kite and gave him his harness back just in time for the wind to die. It was blowing maybe 3-6. So we thought we'd take advantage of the light wind and sail around the lake at a relaxed pace. Jason pulled his jetski out of the water while I readied the boat. Because the wind was so light I raised the sails while it was still on the trailer, but by the time I had everything together the wind had shifted to NW. I really didn't think much of it and continued to take all the straps off the boat except for one. Then as I was backing the trailer and lining up for the ramp it started gusting like crazy from different directions. In my rear view mirror I watched the stern of the boat raise about 4 feet off the trailer. Because I was watching closely I just pulled forward and turned so that the boat settled back on the trailer without any drama... So I tried a different angle and got it in the water and Jason held it in irons while I parked the car. By the time I had made it back to the dock Jason was doing his best to hold on to the boat as the wind had picked up to 25-30. Just as I reached the dock, while we were still holding on to the cat it capsized. At this point as you are reading this you are probably thinking... hey dummy why didn't you just pack up and go home? Well the answer, at least for me, was that Jason seemed so calm and I being an inexperienced sailor I figured we'd be fine. So we jumped on and held on for our lives. It was quite a wild ride! The wind was shifting directions constantly and gusting so hard that it was impossible to trim the sails correctly so we were in a constant attempt to keep from capsizing. Surprisingly we only did once after we set sail. It only took a few minutes to get it righted, but after an hour of getting beat up by the gusts we concluded that we were sufficiently relaxed and had had enough leisurely sailing for one day. All the while, the Sheriff waited with his boat backed on the ramp ready to rescue us.  After we made it back to shore I asked if he thought he'd have to save us... he said, "oh, I figured you guys knew what you were doing." Little did he know...

          We made it back safely but the jib needs a small repair near one of the battens... On the drive home we both checked the wind reports. Nampa in town was 28-36 and caldwell Airport was 30-40.  That, Steve, is the cat story :)
          Rusty

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2011
            Survival sailing, or is that suicide sailing? Ha ha. I've capsized my 14' cat on several occasions, always going over forward with it. Lesson learned yesterday, don't ever fall off the back when it's flipping. You land on your back on the other pontoon, ouch. All in all a nice little leisurely evening sail around Lowell.

            Today at ICR was great too. First time on the water after my first couple of lessons last year. Didn't have any problem staying upwind, gotta work on those transitions though. Only casualty was my sunglasses, they came off after I wiped out, they float, maybe I'll find them sometime.

            Message 5 of 19 , May 4, 2011
              Rusty
              Great tail of survival , bravery and heroism .

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: jwattboi@...
              Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 04:49:08 +0000
              Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: ICR Session

> [...]

              > > <mailto:geardaddyllc@...>> wrote:
              > >

              > > Was not stellar but Jason and I kited at 5pm for a solid 30 mins.
              > > Then Jim T windsurfed while we packed up. Water is warmer and 100
              > > degree rule was satisfied :-)
              > >
              > > Wind was up & down big time from 3-5. Almost drove home without.
              > > See ya next time. Thanks for sharing the Cat story Jason.
              > >
              > > Eddy Petranek
              > >

              > > On May 3, 2011, at 10:18 AM, "geardaddyllc"
              > > <geardaddyllc@... <mailto:geardaddyllc@...>> wrote:
              > >
              > > Setting up for a stellar session at ICR. I'm busting tail to
              > > get my work done by 2 so I can be at ICR by 3. Last time I hit
              > > the road out there it was necessary to engage 4 wheel drive
              > > and throw some mud. if anyone would like a ride to water meet
              > > me at entrance to dirt road and jump in, plan to be there
              > > 2:30-2:45. Dirt road is just behind the Boise Stage stop

            • j clive jordan
              Message 6 of 19 , May 4, 2011
                gusty Idaho - never been to LL - one of these days

                Message 7 of 19 , May 4, 2011
                  Holy Cats!!  Great tale rusty.  I've been there with the sherif standing guard ready to come out to save us.  LL is a fickle lady.  The trick is not to be out when she shuts down.  Its a long swim.

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 5, 2011

                    OK so couldn’t resist telling my LL sheriff story.  The water is butter and we are skiing and drinking until of course we run out of gas.  Sheriff happens by to pick up us fools(before children).  Gets his towrope caught in his jet intake.  We had to flag down a third boat to get us towed back in.  No tickets, no nothing.  Back in the day.

                    William G Binegar, MD

                    Pain Medicine-Board Certified

                    Anesthesiology-Board Certified

                    Medical Director

                    Pain Care Boise

                    301 W. Myrtle

                    Boise, ID   83702

                    Office: 208.342.8200 | Fax: 208.342.8202

                    www.paincareboise.com