ICR Session

  • geardaddyllc
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 18, 2011
      If I get done with work by 4:30 I will head out to get a session in at Indian Creek Reservoir this afternoon, there by 5:15. I need to be done by 6:15 though, so it will be a quicky... winds should peak at 6 should be clear and wind 20+ mph and gusty.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 18, 2011
        Skunked. Doho.

        Eddy Petranek

        On Apr 18, 2011, at 8:46 AM, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

        If I get done with work by 4:30 I will head out to get a session in at Indian Creek Reservoir this afternoon, there by 5:15. I need to be done by 6:15 though, so it will be a quicky... winds should peak at 6 should be clear and wind 20+ mph and gusty.

        Eddy

      • Jason Watt

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 18, 2011
            Uh hu:-)

            I follow the guideline of air temp + water temp = above 100 degrees I can kite comfortable in a steamer wetsuit.

            Above 125 I can do a shorty. 150 and I'm in shorts. I'm fat so your numbers maybe higher or lower if you are fatter.

            Anything below 100 is for the hard core.

            If you can stand booties then use them. Same goes for gloves.  And hoodie. Use a PDF if you are unsure of your capabilities.

            Eddy Petranek

            On Apr 18, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Jason Watt <jwattboi@...> wrote:

            What kind of stuff does one need in the cold spring conditions?  Full wetsuit, drysuit, hood, booties, gloves,etc?

            On Apr 18, 2011, at 18:08, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

            Skunked. Doho.

            Eddy Petranek

            On Apr 18, 2011, at 8:46 AM, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

            If I get done with work by 4:30 I will head out to get a session in at Indian Creek Reservoir this afternoon, there by 5:15. I need to be done by 6:15 though, so it will be a quicky... winds should peak at 6 should be clear and wind 20+ mph and gusty.

            Eddy

          • Tom von Alten
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 18, 2011
              > Use a PDF if you are unsure of your capabilities.

              Personal Dunking Facility?
              _____________
              Tom von Alten       http://fortboise.org/
              tva@...

            • Kay Walston

                Message 7 of 19 , May 3 9:18 AM
                  Setting up for a stellar session at ICR. I'm busting tail to get my work done by 2 so I can be at ICR by 3. Last time I hit the road out there it was necessary to engage 4 wheel drive and throw some mud. if anyone would like a ride to water meet me at entrance to dirt road and jump in, plan to be there 2:30-2:45. Dirt road is just behind the Boise Stage stop (truck stop)

                  Will update as I leave work in Nampa...

                  Eddy
                • Jason Watt
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3 9:52 AM
                    Road was dry last Saturday.  Rain may have changed that.  I plan to head out around 3-ish.

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3 7:51 PM
                        Was not stellar but Jason and I kited at 5pm for a solid 30 mins. Then Jim T windsurfed while we packed up. Water is warmer and 100 degree rule was satisfied :-)

                        Wind was up & down big time from 3-5. Almost drove home without. See ya next time. Thanks for sharing the Cat story Jason.

                        Eddy Petranek

                        On May 3, 2011, at 10:18 AM, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                        Setting up for a stellar session at ICR. I'm busting tail to get my work done by 2 so I can be at ICR by 3. Last time I hit the road out there it was necessary to engage 4 wheel drive and throw some mud. if anyone would like a ride to water meet me at entrance to dirt road and jump in, plan to be there 2:30-2:45. Dirt road is just behind the Boise Stage stop (truck stop)

                        Will update as I leave work in Nampa...

                        Eddy

                      • Rusty Hill

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3 8:06 PM
                            Rusty
                            what were you sailing and where did you find 30 to 40 mph wind yesterday ? and what's the cat story ?
                            Steve

                            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3 8:57 PM
                              Nice easy session to start the year.  Go board w/6.2 then the 7.5 which was fun.  Actually fell in w/the Go Board n the water was faily warm or my dry suit is thick.  Hope to have more this week.  Jim T

                              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 3 9:29 PM
                                Oh, Steve... where do I start? So Jason and I went to LL yesterday armed with enough toys to have fun regardless of what the wind was doing. (kites 9 and 13, my 16 foot catamaran, and Jason's two jetskis)  When we got there it was a good 20-24 mph SE wind. So we pumped up our kites (My harness is still with my wife in the DR) and Jason let me borrow his harness for a few minutes while the Sheriff checked the registration on his skis. Jason came back after about 10-15 minutes. I landed my kite and gave him his harness back just in time for the wind to die. It was blowing maybe 3-6. So we thought we'd take advantage of the light wind and sail around the lake at a relaxed pace. Jason pulled his jetski out of the water while I readied the boat. Because the wind was so light I raised the sails while it was still on the trailer, but by the time I had everything together the wind had shifted to NW. I really didn't think much of it and continued to take all the straps off the boat except for one. Then as I was backing the trailer and lining up for the ramp it started gusting like crazy from different directions. In my rear view mirror I watched the stern of the boat raise about 4 feet off the trailer. Because I was watching closely I just pulled forward and turned so that the boat settled back on the trailer without any drama... So I tried a different angle and got it in the water and Jason held it in irons while I parked the car. By the time I had made it back to the dock Jason was doing his best to hold on to the boat as the wind had picked up to 25-30. Just as I reached the dock, while we were still holding on to the cat it capsized. At this point as you are reading this you are probably thinking... hey dummy why didn't you just pack up and go home? Well the answer, at least for me, was that Jason seemed so calm and I being an inexperienced sailor I figured we'd be fine. So we jumped on and held on for our lives. It was quite a wild ride! The wind was shifting directions constantly and gusting so hard that it was impossible to trim the sails correctly so we were in a constant attempt to keep from capsizing. Surprisingly we only did once after we set sail. It only took a few minutes to get it righted, but after an hour of getting beat up by the gusts we concluded that we were sufficiently relaxed and had had enough leisurely sailing for one day. All the while, the Sheriff waited with his boat backed on the ramp ready to rescue us.  After we made it back to shore I asked if he thought he'd have to save us... he said, "oh, I figured you guys knew what you were doing." Little did he know...

                                We made it back safely but the jib needs a small repair near one of the battens... On the drive home we both checked the wind reports. Nampa in town was 28-36 and caldwell Airport was 30-40.  That, Steve, is the cat story :)
                                Rusty

                                To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 3 9:49 PM
                                  Survival sailing, or is that suicide sailing? Ha ha. I've capsized my 14' cat on several occasions, always going over forward with it. Lesson learned yesterday, don't ever fall off the back when it's flipping. You land on your back on the other pontoon, ouch. All in all a nice little leisurely evening sail around Lowell.

                                  Today at ICR was great too. First time on the water after my first couple of lessons last year. Didn't have any problem staying upwind, gotta work on those transitions though. Only casualty was my sunglasses, they came off after I wiped out, they float, maybe I'll find them sometime.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 4 6:52 AM
                                    Rusty
                                    Great tail of survival , bravery and heroism .

                                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: jwattboi@...
                                    Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 04:49:08 +0000
                                    Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: ICR Session

> [...]

                                    > > <mailto:geardaddyllc@...>> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > Was not stellar but Jason and I kited at 5pm for a solid 30 mins.
                                    > > Then Jim T windsurfed while we packed up. Water is warmer and 100
                                    > > degree rule was satisfied :-)
                                    > >
                                    > > Wind was up & down big time from 3-5. Almost drove home without.
                                    > > See ya next time. Thanks for sharing the Cat story Jason.
                                    > >
                                    > > Eddy Petranek
                                    > >

                                    > > On May 3, 2011, at 10:18 AM, "geardaddyllc"
                                    > > <geardaddyllc@... <mailto:geardaddyllc@...>> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Setting up for a stellar session at ICR. I'm busting tail to
                                    > > get my work done by 2 so I can be at ICR by 3. Last time I hit
                                    > > the road out there it was necessary to engage 4 wheel drive
                                    > > and throw some mud. if anyone would like a ride to water meet
                                    > > me at entrance to dirt road and jump in, plan to be there
                                    > > 2:30-2:45. Dirt road is just behind the Boise Stage stop

                                  • j clive jordan
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 4 6:04 PM
                                      gusty Idaho - never been to LL - one of these days

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 4 6:39 PM
                                        Holy Cats!!  Great tale rusty.  I've been there with the sherif standing guard ready to come out to save us.  LL is a fickle lady.  The trick is not to be out when she shuts down.  Its a long swim.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 5 11:04 AM

                                          OK so couldn’t resist telling my LL sheriff story.  The water is butter and we are skiing and drinking until of course we run out of gas.  Sheriff happens by to pick up us fools(before children).  Gets his towrope caught in his jet intake.  We had to flag down a third boat to get us towed back in.  No tickets, no nothing.  Back in the day.

                                          William G Binegar, MD

                                          Pain Medicine-Board Certified

                                          Anesthesiology-Board Certified

                                          Medical Director

                                          Pain Care Boise

                                          301 W. Myrtle

                                          Boise, ID   83702

                                          Office: 208.342.8200 | Fax: 208.342.8202

                                          www.paincareboise.com