Re: [snowkiteidaho] RE: [BSA] Lake Lowell Fri.

  • Greg Schutte
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      That sucks.......

      --- "Gear Daddy, LLC" <geardaddy@...> wrote:

      > Ok here is the story:
      >
      > Jason, Eddy, Brad (aka Kiter Kid) out kiting from
      > 4-6pm and then ending our
      > session to new guy Steve Baker (aka The
      > Vet(erinarian)" Steve shows up and
      > is bringing his stuff down to water. I finish
      > packing my stuff and head to
      > truck. As I'm walking up to truck the Fed park and
      > Fisheries COP shows up.
      > He asks me if I'm going out and I said "No I'm done
      > (all excited/stoked from
      > great time), but Steve is going out." And tells me
      > that "No he is not and
      > that is not allowed here! If he goes out I will fine
      > him $175.00". I said
      > "What is not allowed?" His response "That!" as he
      > points towards my Gear. I
      > said "You don't even know what this is?" He Said
      > "Kiting and Windsurfing is
      > not permitted on Lake Lowell and that it is clearly
      > stated in our brochure
      > that windsurfing are not allowed!"
      >
      > So anyway after a brief argument with this "JERK" we
      > got his Brochure and it
      > clearly states that "Between April 15 and Sept 30,
      > motorized, sail-powered,
      > and human-powered crafts may be used." So we say
      > that windsurfing and
      > kitesurfing are allowed because we are
      > sail/human-powered crafts. He say
      > that we are not and if we were we need to be
      > registered boats...
      >
      > After further arguing, basically this guy says he
      > was relaying what his boss
      > told him but he was still a "JERK". I know it does
      > not solve anything to
      > think of him as a "Jerk", but I think all involved
      > at this moment would
      > think that calling him simply a "jerk" is far to
      > kind.
      >
      > Anyway Brad has chosen to submit a letter to Parks
      > and Recreation. I asked
      > him to submit it to our groups before going any
      > further with it. Brad (Kiter
      > Kid) 14 years of age has put together a nice little
      > debate style formatted
      > letter that I hope he will submit soon.
      >
      > I would appreciate support from all on resolving
      > this issue and Getting Lake
      > Lowell opened to all windsurfers and kitesurfers.
      > If anyone has good
      > contacts that could solve this quickly please jump
      > on them.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Eddy Petranek
      > 863-6966

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom von Alten
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2006
        Steve Baker sent me his account of the incident at the Lake last
        week, and gave me permission to forward it to these groups. It seems
        that from the refuge manager's point of view, kitesailing, at least,
        IS INDEED BANNED. (Perhaps if people hadn't tried to tow
        parasailors behind motorboats, they wouldn't have had a knee-jerk
        reaction to the concept? Who knows.)

        Windsurfing MAY BE banned ("no permission is granted"), but is at
        least in limbo, along with motor toys. I have no idea how ripe or
        valid any of the cited "lawsuits from both sides" might be.

        I'm open to suggestion for the best way to coordinate a response
        that produces the result we want -- lake access for our
        environmentally friendly, low-impact sports.
        Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
        tva@...