Re: [snowkiteidaho] Paragliding Boise is in trouble!!!

  • Josh Woodland
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011

      I forwarded on to another local paraglider friend of mine. Feel free to use my name and email address  for the petition (woodland.josh@...).

      Josh

      On Mar 13, 2011 10:35 PM, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      Hi all, Eddy here and I need to beg help of all friends of outdoor recreational activities.

      Recently, Boise city purchased the land of Hammer Flats Area in SE Boise. This area is one of my favorite Paragliding sites in the Boise area. This purchase includes all the land East of Ben's Crow Inn(restaurant) East to Lucky Peak. In the Purchase of this property Boise used the Foothill's Recreational Levy Funds to buy the land. Now they are secretly trying to hand the land off to Idaho Fish and Game. Idaho F&G says they will turn it into a wildlife sanctuary (AKA a Breeding ground of Hunter's Game).

      Tuesday 3/15/2011 at 6pm the city is holding a low key public hearing to ban everyone from the area for 1 year so it can be studied by a "Biologist". The city has not told anyone of this ban and this information has leaked out. The majority of the Paragliding and Hang gliding community working with the city are out of the State this week, which is convenient for the state. We are not asking for much, we just want the Right to hike and fly this hill at minimum, we also think that existing trails should be left open for public recreation.

      I learned to Paraglide there 10 years ago and it is a great little spot that does not affect the area and hardly anyone knows that we are there. If the local population of Boise Paraglider pilots lose this spot, another fun sport in the Valley "DIES". Because we are such a small group, very few know or understand our usage of the area. Hence we are invisible, but the fact is the hill has been used for 30+ years for flying. We need to get more people involved and get a fire lit under the city's Kiester. This ban is against everyone (Hikers, Bikers, recreationalist, but if your a hunter then you sorta win and will have a close population to shoot and kill) and the city used every recreation-ist tax monies to buy this land. Our sport does not hurt anyone or anything just like kiteboarding, but here we go again.

      Please let me know if we can use your name and email contact in our petition to fight this ban. This is just like the deal we had to put up with at Lake Lowell and that battle is not over. We need help and anyone that can show up at the meeting on Tuesday and raise your voices and concerns please do so. I'll be there and I hope not alone.

      Please forward this email to any other groups or friends that can help.

      Thanks,
      Eddy Petranek
      epetranek@...
      208-863-6966

    • Jim Tighe
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011
        Sign me up.

        "daflyinhawaiian64@..." <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

        You can use mine Eddy. Where, when is the Secret meeting going to be held?

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...>
        Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 04:35:17 -0000
        To: <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Paragliding Boise is in trouble!!!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
            Sign me up

            Jack Harrison, PhD, PE, PH-GW
            HyQual, P.A.
            208.861.1654

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
              Sign me up.

              Jake

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                Sign me up. BTW, does this affect mountain biking in the area also?  Not sure if there's existing trails there but if it does, you may get more folks involve if that also affect biking.

                Best regards,
                Chris Lee

                On Mar 14, 2011, at 6:21 AM, Jake Dobson <jakedobson80@...> wrote:

                Sign me up.

                Jake

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                    Yes sir you can.
                    Mic Sherwood
                    5491 W. Cochie springs
                    Marana AZ 85658
                    Tel 520-440-6676
                    USHGPA member

                    geardaddyllc <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                    >Hi all, Eddy here and I need to beg help of all friends of outdoor recreational activities.
                    >
                    >Recently, Boise city purchased the land of Hammer Flats Area in SE Boise. This area is one of my favorite Paragliding sites in the Boise area. This purchase includes all the land East of Ben's Crow Inn(restaurant) East to Lucky Peak. In the Purchase of this property Boise used the Foothill's Recreational Levy Funds to buy the land. Now they are secretly trying to hand the land off to Idaho Fish and Game. Idaho F&G says they will turn it into a wildlife sanctuary (AKA a Breeding ground of Hunter's Game).
                    >
                    >Tuesday 3/15/2011 at 6pm the city is holding a low key public hearing to ban everyone from the area for 1 year so it can be studied by a "Biologist". The city has not told anyone of this ban and this information has leaked out. The majority of the Paragliding and Hang gliding community working with the city are out of the State this week, which is convenient for the state. We are not asking for much, we just want the Right to hike and fly this hill at minimum, we also think that existing trails should be left open for public recreation.
                    >
                    >I learned to Paraglide there 10 years ago and it is a great little spot that does not affect the area and hardly anyone knows that we are there. If the local population of Boise Paraglider pilots lose this spot, another fun sport in the Valley "DIES". Because we are such a small group, very few know or understand our usage of the area. Hence we are invisible, but the fact is the hill has been used for 30+ years for flying. We need to get more people involved and get a fire lit under the city's Kiester. This ban is against everyone (Hikers, Bikers, recreationalist, but if your a hunter then you sorta win and will have a close population to shoot and kill) and the city used every recreation-ist tax monies to buy this land. Our sport does not hurt anyone or anything just like kiteboarding, but here we go again.
                    >
                    >Please let me know if we can use your name and email contact in our petition to fight this ban. This is just like the deal we had to put up with at Lake Lowell and that battle is not over. We need help and anyone that can show up at the meeting on Tuesday and raise your voices and concerns please do so. I'll be there and I hope not alone.
                    >
                    >Please forward this email to any other groups or friends that can help.
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Eddy Petranek
                    >epetranek@...
                    >208-863-6966

                  • Brian Kerr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                      Hi Eddy,

                      Please use my name and email, on your petition.   Just to clarify.  I don't think that the fish and game are interested in the ground for its hunting potential as there are probably very few deer that stay in the area during the hunting season but rather  the land is important winter range for deer and possibly elk.

                      Brian Kerr
                      Susie Kerr

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                          Hi Eddy...

                          You can use my name.  My recollection is the stated intent of the Foothills Levy was to acquire land to preserve open space, and the public approved the levy on that basis.  If the city is now using those funds to purchase lands that won't remain open, that seems contradictory to the approved purpose of the levy and a misuse of it's funds.   The exact language enacting the Foothills Levy should be carefully evaluated and if it matches what I've stated here, there'd be solid grounds for seeking a court injunction to either halt the Hammer Flats purchase or bar they city from any action that renders the land off limits (like transferring it to F&G).

                          I'll try & make the meeting, let me know it's time & place...

                          Jon

[...]

                        • Dr. Binegar
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011

                            I’m in on the Paragliding issue.

                            I’ll call you later on the kite.  Working late.

                            William G Binegar, MD

                            Pain Medicine-Board Certified

                            Anesthesiology-Board Certified

                            Medical Director

                            Pain Care Boise

                            301 W. Myrtle

                            Boise, ID   83702

                            Office: 208.342.8200 | Fax: 208.342.8202

                            www.paincareboise.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                              Eddy...

                              Might be powerful to direct council members' attention to the page on the Boise City website that advertises the foothills levy.  Ton of language on there describing it's purpose to acquire & protect "public open spaces".

                              Why is that money being spent to purchase land that is not "public open space"???

                              WTFO??

                              Jon

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                                Hello Eddy,

                                Use my name..

                                -JBrick

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 15, 2011
                                  EdD,

                                  Feel free to slap my anti-authoritarian credentials to the petition.
                                  Damn the man and his 'master' plan.

                                  Jason Mac

                                  --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Eddy,
                                  >
                                  > Use my name..
                                  >
                                  > -JBrick
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                • Tonyswilliams
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 17, 2011

                                    Does anyone know how the snow is out on the camas  I'm thinking of going out tomorrow?
                                  • Darrel Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 17, 2011
                                      The Camas Cr Divide sensor says 38". It was about 36" during the kite soldier event. It was up to 41" last week.

                                      I might be up for it tomorrow afternoon. Sunday might have some potential too.

                                      Darrel Thomas
                                      Sent from my iPhone