Sunday AM winds

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2006
      I agree Tom,

      My son and I camped on the little beach upwind of Turner bay, AKA "Jason and
      Tom's Kitebeach". What an experience. My wife and daughters are out of
      town, so the only way I could think of getting in a day of Kitesurfing was
      to take my son camping the night before. We got to the beach Saturday
      afternoon and setup camp. Went to sleep around 10:00PM. It's amazing how
      many boats are out driving around in the dark (several without Running
      lights!). By 1:00AM the wind was absolutely rocking. I have no idea what
      was happening out in the channel, but I was thinking our tent was going to
      be lifted off the beach and into the lake. And then by 3:00AM... I had to
      bring some of the gear into the tent because the wind was lifting section up
      off the sand. I would have loved to have seen the channel at 3:00AM. I did
      see a boat trying to take out at Barclay bay (at 3:00AM). Can you imagine.
      Tom C. said in the 'Old days', they would go out windsurfing in the
      moonlight and take advantage of the 'big winds'.

      By 7:00AM I woke up and was worried because there was little wind in the
      bay. I took a look out into the channel however, and it looked great. I
      pumped my 14M kite just as Tom C. showed up. He headed out before me on his
      12M and was up the channel in NO TIME. I went out after him and had a great
      time. I'm not sure if my new front lines made the difference or if it was
      just REALLY windy, but a couple times, I was in survival mode. Did it seem
      like we had some REALLY strong gusts Sunday morning?

      What a great morning. Had a couple great jumps. Betsy looked like her knee
      was 'treating' her right. Eddy did a few jumps over me (yeah, he sneaks up
      behind you and says, watch this. Next thing you know he is airborne and
      flying away. Very cool.). Jon, thanks for retrieving my board for me. I
      was getting worked over. I think I realized I need to keep the kite higher
      when bodydragging upwind. Brad at 14 years old is a freaking 'rock star'.
      How many times have you been out, maybe 10? And already jumping. Steve L.
      was surfing the nice rollers early on. I think he thought he was in the
      ocean.

      Anyway, what a great day. Thanks everyone for sharing the fun. Water is
      dropping, kitebeach will soon appear. Take care.

      -Jason