RE: Merry Christmas from fortboise

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2010
      Dr. B. wrote:
      > Will help me know where people are talking about!

      Since I'm not driving all over creation to go snowkiting, I haven't
      included (and don't much know about) any of those spots, but if anyone
      was so inclined to send me information, I could easily add land
      sailing spots to the map. (But consider how much publicity you want to
      provide -- if your access isn't fully accredited, probably not a good
      idea to plant a flag out on the web.)

      Spot data comprise three items:
      1) name
      2) (latitude,longitude) coordinate, in decimal degrees (WGS84)
      (i.e., the coordinates Google Maps uses for things)
      3) status -- all the rest of the description

      You can see the data in their XML clothing at
      http://www.fortboise.org/maps/sailing-spots.xml

      You can obtain lat,lng by centering the map on the point of interest
      and using the "link to me" hyperlink, putting the current map's
      parameters into the querystring.

      And speaking of land sailing... anybody see the Oregon Field Guide
      last night and the guys driving land yachts on the Alvord Desert?
      The Rothrocks (father/son) have pair has done some impressive
      engineering on a rigid wing rig that they say they've got up above
      90mph. They were first featured back in 1990 (!), when they were
      sailing against fully-battened windsurfing-caliber rigs in California:

      http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1031 (1990)

      http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1756 (2010)

      Tom von Alten
      tva@...