Re: [BSA] Merry Christmas from fortboise

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2010
      Thanks for the site & support, Tom !

      Happy New Year.

      On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:
      I needed to learn how to migrate a Google Maps API v2 map to API v3, and
      the "SW Idaho Sailing Spots" map was the most convenient thing to work on.

             http://fortboise.org/maps/sailing-spots.html

      is now running on the v3 API, and has had its spot data updated for the
      first time since 2008. Gott's Point is open again (in season), "Cocaine
      Canyon" is now on the map, and I changed that easternmost spot from
      ??? Res. to "RCR" reservoir.

      Tweaked a few other things. Have a look, and send me improvements if you
      have any.

      Merry X to all,

    • Dr. Binegar
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2010
        Tom,

        Nice Christmas gift. Will help me know where people are talking about!
        Thanks!!!

        William G Binegar, MD
        Pain Medicine-Board Certified
        Anesthesiology-Board Certified
        Medical Director
        Pain Care Boise
        301 W. Myrtle
        Boise, ID 83702
        Office: 208.342.8200 | Fax: 208.342.8202
        www.paincareboise.com

        The information contained in this message is intended only for the use of
        the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
        privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure to any other party
        under applicable law.

        If you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any
        review, dissemination, or copying of this information is strictly
        prohibited. If received in error, please notify the sender immediately by
        telephone. Thank you.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2010
          Dr. B. wrote:
          > Will help me know where people are talking about!

          Since I'm not driving all over creation to go snowkiting, I haven't
          included (and don't much know about) any of those spots, but if anyone
          was so inclined to send me information, I could easily add land
          sailing spots to the map. (But consider how much publicity you want to
          provide -- if your access isn't fully accredited, probably not a good
          idea to plant a flag out on the web.)

          Spot data comprise three items:
          1) name
          2) (latitude,longitude) coordinate, in decimal degrees (WGS84)
          (i.e., the coordinates Google Maps uses for things)
          3) status -- all the rest of the description

          You can see the data in their XML clothing at
          http://www.fortboise.org/maps/sailing-spots.xml

          You can obtain lat,lng by centering the map on the point of interest
          and using the "link to me" hyperlink, putting the current map's
          parameters into the querystring.

          And speaking of land sailing... anybody see the Oregon Field Guide
          last night and the guys driving land yachts on the Alvord Desert?
          The Rothrocks (father/son) have pair has done some impressive
          engineering on a rigid wing rig that they say they've got up above
          90mph. They were first featured back in 1990 (!), when they were
          sailing against fully-battened windsurfing-caliber rigs in California:

          http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1031 (1990)

          http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1756 (2010)

          Tom von Alten
          tva@...