Almost Skunked.....

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2006

      Had to take my mother in law to the airport at 6:00AM this morning.  What a good reason to get up to lucky peak early.  After looking at the forecast yesterday (SE 10-15), I knew this was going to be awesome… and I was going to get in several hours.  I rounded the bend to the bridge and diversion dam. What the heck… no wind.  I drove up to the Barclay bay parking lot and Brian was the only one waiting.  It looked windy enough and it appeared to be getting stronger.  It was about 6:45AM.  Brian contemplated rigging his 6m but decided in the end to use his 7.5m.  I hiked out to the Turner bay and began setting up.  As the sun started rising, it was pretty clear the wind had dropped off. YIKES.  Sure enough Brian was slogging on his 7.5 and Go board.  Oh well, I set up my 14M kite and waited for the wind to come.  I noticed Eddy and his boat appeared and scoped out the scene.   He left after 20 minutes of watching the wind die off.  I then drifted out into the channel and actually got my kite up in the air as Brian was heading back in.  Magically, the wind came up and it was just kitable.  It was enough for me to stay upwind for about 40 minutes.  Brain was inspired and came back out for round two.  He made it up the channel and was ripping it up.  In the end (shortly before 9am), I lost the battle and pulled out at Barclay bay.  Hoping for a great tomorrow.

      -Jason