research results

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2010

      Anyone who is contemplating the purchase of a new kit needs to take a cereus look at the Delta kites on the market . My next kit will be a Delta design . the last two trips to the gorge I watched guys on The Best  Kahoona and was really imprested , guys my size on the 5.5m when everyone else was flying 7m . the hand tine and height of jumps is huge and the speed of turning is very fast , these guys were down looping and kitelooping with ease in 40 mi.per hr wind . the Slingshot Rally also looks to be a contender but I haven't seen it fly . they are getting a lot more low end power out of smaller kites and faster turning with huge air and long hang time plus they say the Dedlta is a great surf kit (  one kite does it all ) that is whats has got me thinking about selling and buying a Delta

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 10, 2010
        Steve-O.... we did see the Key fly that day at Rufus with Scott.  Remember the girl that went out while the sun was setting and everyone had already come in.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2010
          Sorry... I meant to say we saw the Slingshot Rally... not the Key.

          If anyone wants to try a delta today, and get local support, and support a local guy, I'm sure Eddy could set you up with a trial of one of his Waiman Rabbit kites.  Dan was out making his 9m look fun last Sunday afternoon.

          -JBrick

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2010
            Steve, remember that the unusual thing about the Kahoona is that it has no center strut.  That must account for a lot of it's low end, since no center strut to divert/disrupt airflow down the center (the "meat") of the canopy.  I demo'ed another delta design @ Sherman Island for a couple hours...F-One bandit...one of the first "delta's".  It has center strut and it did not fly down a kite size...had to fly pretty much the same size as everyone else.  Also flew Wainman's.  F-1 and Wainman's feel & behave pretty similar.  Anyway, point is that delta design alone doesn't permit lower kite size.  It seemed to be unique to the Kahoona and it's mix of design features.  The SS Rally was 7m when Kahoona rider on 5.5.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2010
              The Kahoon is my first choice but the Rally does make the claim (The range on the Rally has been optimized for maximum low-end grunt. This means riding in lighter wind speeds with smaller size kites and notice bigger boost with longer hang times) http://www.slingshotsports.com/2011-Rally?sc=45&category=30326 I would love to get the two of them in my hands at the same time to demo .
[...]

            • tony williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010
                As far as the no center strut goes, none of the monkey/ griffin kites have ever had the center strut.  I demoed the 2010 9m argos in Jan and it was a nice kite but they are more of a surfing style kite and the jumps were nice and floaty but not as high as the epic screamer. Also the handling felt less responsive then the screamer.  Anyway there are a lot of good kites out there, wish we had a big demo days in Boise but that is a dream I don't see ever becoming a reality. Guess I will have to go to one of the big events in Cali or Texas.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010
                  ...Kahoona (no center strut) is billed as more of a wave kite, too.  What that means....it likes to sit deeper in the window, so that means:  kite beaches have side-on wind, so when you are are riding a wave in, you are going somewhat downwind.  Wave kites sit deeper and as you are riding the wave in (downwind), they will do better at staying ahead of you, instead of you outrunning the kite so it overflies the window and gets "behind" you.  Consequence of good wave kite is that since it sits deeper in the window (as opposed to at the very edge like a Screamer or Edge RX or other hi perf freestyle kite) is that they won't go upwind at as steep of an angle (you have to work more to get upwind) and when you send it for a jump, since it sits deeper, the yank you get has more downwind component of motion and less vertical...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010
                    Both the Kahoona and the Rally advertise height of jumps and hand time two things I'm interested in . so maybe the added  speed that is also hyped makes up for it . and Tony lets plan on the next demo days in Cali or Texas or better yet Maui

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010
                      Don't get caught up in the hype.

                      I fly the slowest kite out there yet I have to slow down for you guys to keep up. ;-0

                      Eddy Petranek

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010
                        I was really impressed by the range of conditions Kurt flew his 5.5 Kahoona at Rufus last week.  Things are a changing in kites and what square meters mean to your quiver is too.

                        I have the 11.5 Kahoona.  Of course anyone is welcome to take it for a spin if they want. I might make it out tomorrow am.  I have only had one sesh on it.  Manzo last Friday.  I like the kite.  It has much heavier bar pressure than most other kites I have flown recently.

                        Water relaunch was super fast, a great thing as the next kite eating roller wave is bearing down.

                        I had the chance to appreciate how the kite hangs in the air even with slack lines. One tack I got tumbled and pushed by a wave where my lines slacked by a huge amount, but I had enough time to re-position myself for tension and keep her flying.  I have had other kites that would have taken a dive in that situation.

                        .02

                        Cheers,
                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010

                          Mike see to tomorrow if your 11.5 work like my 13 I'm sold . but I will let you get a sash or two before we swap

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 12, 2010

                            Eddy Hyper Petranek