Re: [snowkiteidaho] CJ Sunday report

  • Chris Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2010
      It was great for both Sat and Sun.  Sailed at the Wall with 4.0.

      The before noon session at the Wall on Sat was nice with fairly steady wind and good swells.  Then it got fluky in the afternoon but the swell was bigger.  I was told the wind got really steady after 5:00 with nice swells and hardly anyone was on the water -- best session of the year!

      Sunday had better wind and better swells.  I wasn't expecting it to last long but it just kept on blowing so we kept on sailing until we got too tired.  :-)
      Best regards,

      Chris Lee.
      On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

      Since I was the lone windsurfer (amongst 4 or 5 kite boys), I guess I
      should say something about what you missed by going to the Gorge.
      (Then maybe you'll be kind enough to tell me what *I* missed over there?)

      I arrived right about 4:00, which by the AFB numbers looks like it was
      at the end of a solid 4.5 sort of afternoon. My 4.7 was powered up,
      to the point I stopped to flatten it, even gave a thought to being
      on my 4.2... but then was slogging on the starboard reaches, ended
      up swimming in a ways, and walking up the shallows back to where I'd
      launched (just upwind from the resort, along with the kiters).

      7:55pm 63 NW 16
      6:55pm 65 NW 20G28
      5:55pm 66 NW 22G31
      4:55pm 66 NW 23G31
      3:55pm 66 NW 26G37
      2:55pm 66 NW 25G32
      1:55pm 64 WNW 24G36
      12:55pm 64 NW 29G36
      11:55am 60 NW 28G37
      10:55am 59 NW 24G31

      I could've rigged to 5.1 (or more likely, 6.0), but it had that
      petering feeling, and I'd never found the zone of milk, honey, and
      non-washing-machine-chop that Eddy promised, so I packed it in.

      "You shoulda been here earlier."

      The kite guys were having a blast on 8 and 9m foils. Saw Eddy pull
      (and land) a nice little loop, all it took was a little girl on
      the beach to shout "do a trick!"
      _____________
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      --
      Best regards,

      Chris Lee
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2010
        Since you asked--the GORGE was EPIC this weekend.

        Got in superlate Thursday night for a much needed crash session to awake to building westerlies at the Sandbar. Mtn biked Post Canyon trails, alot of berm & rock drops with some serious gaps & downhill sections. By 4 the wind was blowing 20-25, rigged up the 10, Monty & Chrizzo on 12 & 10 respectively and sessed till the sun went down.

        Sat was forecasted nukage blowout so Erin & I went to Manzo for the night and got in a late evening strapless session in 12-14mph. Totally fun when you're the only one with a kite big enough to get a session. (Thanks Idaho winds for that) Monty/Chrizzo and crew went to the secret spot east of HR where it was 6meter fury with gusts into the 40's and massive megaloops for the uber-skilled and crazy peeps.

        Sunday repeated sat with clear skies at the coast and nukage out east. We kicked it at the beach in Cape Arch waiting on wind while the others killed it on their smallest kites near Bingen on the Washington side. Monty's photos say it all--40-50 feet off the water or more! Insane.
        Got the last of the goodness as it died off late evening on a 13m & skimboard at the Sandbar--plenty of wind for the taking.

        Mon, labor day called for weak gradients so we headed east to Lyle and wow if you haven't been here go ASAP. Perfect flatwater in the cove and big swell in the channel with acres of smooth sand and knee-deep water to play in. Rode hard with the crew and packed it in around 4 for the drive home.

        Mission accomplished, epicity achieved.....Hood River always puts out!!

        Pics to follow: Laters ya'll

        J.Mac