Re: [snowkiteidaho] Thursday/Friday

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
      For sure, strange wind.  After leaving Baclay about 10:50 (little wind, no whitecaps) I drove up the hill @ Diversion Dam to get gas at Columbia Village Albertsons.  Heading back to diversion dam I could see a SE wind had really turned on hard.  Trees at diversion dam were rockin' FAR harder than when I went up at 7:30am (they were barely moving then).  So I drove back up to Barclay to see what it was like.  Wind was ripping straight down out of Turner Gulch, whitecaps hitting the dam straight-on.  Very southerly.  Major whitecaps (even though wind doesn't have much time to work the water between Turner & the dam.  At Barclay wind was exactly parallel to beach but the knoll on south side blocked most so felt very little wind on the beach itself.  Given the substantial wind shadow at Barclay, I didn't bother to try and launch & go out.  Looked to unusual and blustery, tumbling out of the hills above Turner.

      On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

      Something interesting going on with the wind today. Up here on the bench
      (at Capital HS), the wind was really strong out of the SE, something that
      hardly ever happens in my experience this time of day (noon to 2pm).

      Reading at the Lucky Peak RAWS, SSW15G24... which would be UP
      the reservoir? But the Barclay Bay meter shows "regular" easterly,
      big spike at noon, didn't stay steady.

      Strangest high pressure behavior I can remember. Hopefully it'll settle
      down to our standard best-of-the-season Indian Summer morning wind.
      _____________
      Tom von Alten       http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
        I notice it too , so I rushed home at 12;00 because I was thinking LL never thought to check LP . but at 12;02 at LP it was ese 24.2 G 24.2 if you were Johnny on the spot you could of got some really good ridging for a hour . witch brings me to Jon Bolt , he saw the strong SE and turned around and went back to LP but was there just about 30 mints to early , it hadn't really turned on yet so he left . Any way  it was 20 G 31 at 11;52 here in Boise but LL was only 3 . so I went back to work , got home at 4;00 and LL had been going for 1 1/2 but just quit , another job for Johnny on the spot
        I saw that roll through SE Boise at the same time.  Light SE now.

        Don't you wish you could hover in the sky about 3000ft up and drop smoke bombs to see how the wind works around here?

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
          5:55pm....pressure getting unusually high.  Recent readings over 30.2 @ Boise A/P and MH.  Don't wanna jinx it, but SE flow, very high pressure, and warm temps...tomorrow could be best yet !!

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
            Good to see everyone out on the Friday before the long weekend.  Hope you had fun Jon, I did.

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
              Check USAIRMET for Sunday at Mountain Home...

              Hope it holds true

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
                Don't tell all the suckers that think the Gorge is the only place that Blows. Although, I guess if you want demon winds and 50+ that's where you gotta go???

                I'll plan on a two-fer this weekend. Although when the USAIRMET says winds above 25....typically, I need a smaller kite.

                But regardless I'll be there. good times this morning.

                EdD

                You guys that go to the Gorge, have fun I'm just pulling your chain, since I can't go. But I am glad I don't have to do the 6 hr drive.

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Any one left in town?

                  Planning on heading to CJS this afternoon. My goal is to hit the later session as the wind will probably be stronger but smoother. Less gusty after 4. I'd like to meet at Albys at 2:30. Right now it is Billy, Steve Baker, Jake, myself and ??? Let us know if you want to carpool as I'll only bring my truck if it is 3 or more riding in it.

                  Eddy Petranek

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 5, 2010
                    I'm in... but may drive myself.