Thursday/Friday

  • geardaddyllc
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28 9:57 AM
      Looking good as far as this mornings forecast goes.

      Saturday/Sunday ???
    • geardaddyllc
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 30 9:54 AM
        Last 2 days were pretty nice. I like my new BSU kite, "it can be fun"!!!

        Nasty rumors going around that it might blow NW tomorrow afternoon out EAST??? I just don't see it, but I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong again. Others are saying LP is not happening tomorrow, I think that forecast could be wrong as well, at least for kiteboarding.

        I did not have time this morning to put in the new Laptop but will get it done tomorrow, maybe after I'm done riding. 4 in a row???

        Eddy

        --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

        > Looking good as far as this mornings forecast goes.
        >
        > Saturday/Sunday ???

      • tony williams
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 30 10:00 AM
          Eddy, I Did not recognize you on that CFly kite. Not until u snuck up on me and sprayed me with your board. The colors are , um , lets say interesting and leave it at that.  You did not seem to get your usual height from that kite as with some of your other 13ms.  What do you think?

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 30 12:02 PM
            It was funky this morning. But I felt the kite was doing better than most. It does not have the wicked yank of a high aspect like the Edge but it is better overall handling.

            You must be a Vandal fan ;-)

            Eddy Petranek

            On Jul 30, 2010, at 11:00 AM, tony williams <tonyswilliams@...> wrote:

            Eddy, I Did not recognize you on that CFly kite. Not until u snuck up on me and sprayed me with your board. The colors are , um , lets say interesting and leave it at that.  You did not seem to get your usual height from that kite as with some of your other 13ms.  What do you think?

            Last 2 days were pretty nice. I like my new BSU kite, "it can be fun"!!!

            Nasty rumors going around that it might blow NW tomorrow afternoon out EAST??? I just don't see it, but I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong again. Others are saying LP is not happening tomorrow, I think that forecast could be wrong as well, at least for kiteboarding.

            I did not have time this morning to put in the new Laptop but will get it done tomorrow, maybe after I'm done riding. 4 in a row???

            Eddy

            --- In snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@ ...> wrote:

            > Looking good as far as this mornings forecast goes.
            >
            > Saturday/Sunday ???

          • geardaddyllc
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
              FYI: A warning by NOAA:

              .SHORT TERM...TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY...STILL LOOKS LIKE THU AND
              THU NIGHT WILL BE ACTIVE WEATHER PERIODS WITH NEAR RECORD HEAT...
              FOLLOWED BY A STRONG COLD FRONT...AND THE POTENTIAL FOR SHOWERS
              AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH DOWNBURSTS FROM THE AFTERNOON INTO THE
              EVENING. THE CHANGES TO THE FORECAST WERE MINOR ON THIS SHIFT.
              OVERALL...STRONG UPPER SYSTEM STILL ON TRACK TO MOVE INTO THE PAC
              NW LATE THU. THIS WILL CREATE CONDITIONS FAVORABLE FOR SHOWERS AND
              THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY LITTLE RAIN...AND THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BE
              CONDUCIVE FOR STRONG DOWNBURST WINDS FROM THESE SHOWERS AND
              STORMS. THIS IS BECAUSE THERE WILL BE LOTS OF DRY AIR BELOW THE
              CLOUD BASE OF THE SHOWERS AND STORMS...AND THEREFORE THE RAIN CAN
              EVAPORATE AND COOL THE AIR. THIS RELATIVELY COOL AIR WILL BE
              NEGATIVELY BUOYANT...HEAVIER THAN THE AIR AROUND IT...AND IT WILL
              ACCELERATE DOWNWARD TO THE GROUND. WHEN THESE DOWNBURSTS REACH THE
              GROUND...THEY SPREAD OUT RAPIDLY...AND CAN CAUSE DAMAGE IF THEY
              ARE STRONG ENOUGH. THE WINDS LAST SATURDAY IN THE BOISE AREA AND
              EXTENDING INTO THE BOISE MTNS WERE DUE TO THIS PHENOMENON. AFTER
              THU EVENING...TEMPS WILL PLUMMET AS COLD AIR RACES IN BEHIND THE
              COLD FRONT. HIGH TEMPS ON FRI WILL BE ABOUT 25 DEGREES COOLER THAN
              THU. UPDATES TO THE RECORD TEMPERATURE PUBLIC INFORMATION
              STATEMENT AND THE WIND ADVISORY WILL BE OUT SHORTLY...AS WILL AN
              UPDATE FOR THE RED FLAG WARNING.

              That being said, be careful, it is this kind of weather that will get you some "hospital air". Not sure if this weather will screw up LP tomorrow morning, but it is likely to be funky??? I got some the last 3 so might take a day off to be ready for Friday.

              Friday afternoon I'm heading to CJ or Lake Lowell...tell you on Friday!!! With a 25 deg drop hold on to your hats & everything else, its going to be windy. ;-))))

              EdD
            • geardaddyllc
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                4 of us got a little action this morning, Rusty broke the ice followed by Baker, myself, and Bolt. Fun little session but I ended it with a slice in the middle of my foot coming up on the rocks at the former beach. One more day at BB at the most, but it is super sketchy.

                Friday holds promise and the wind meter is back online. CYA then.

                EdD

                BTW Water is very nice temp but air is definitely cooler at ~50+
              • Jack Harrison
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Eddy - thanks for the update and the continued efforts on the wind meter! LP
                  meter looked pretty good, but other readings (with most point west)
                  suggested questionable wind.

                  Now, sounds like the "safe" call for future launch is to make the hike to
                  BB/CC...hope the foot is OK.

                  Jack Harrison, PhD, PE, PH-GW
                  HyQual
                  208-861-1654

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                    Hoping for tomorrow too.  West indicators kept me in bed this morning.

                    Eddy, any clues about the windmeter?  Let me know if you think I can help.

                    Jack... thanks for the correction BB(Brickner Beach)/CC(Caviani Cove) not BB/CB

                    -JBrick

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                      Sound like something I would do.

                      Glad I didn't go - see you Friday maybe

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                        At present LP water level, only a short strip of rock to tiptoe over to get to water, so most of us did it w/o booties today, but Eddy paid the price.  Water will be down further tomorrow so booties advisable...but water still very accessible from Barclay....

                        Jon

                        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM, jclivejordan <jclivejordan@...> wrote:

                        Sound like something I would do.

                        Glad I didn't go - see you Friday maybe

                        --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "geardaddyllc" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

                        > 4 of us got a little action this morning, Rusty broke the ice followed by Baker, myself, and Bolt. Fun little session but I ended it with a slice in the middle of my foot coming up on the rocks at the former beach. One more day at BB at the most, but it is super sketchy.
                        >
                        > Friday holds promise and the wind meter is back online. CYA then.
                        >
                        > EdD
                        >
                        > BTW Water is very nice temp but air is definitely cooler at ~50+

                      • Tom von Alten
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                          Something interesting going on with the wind today. Up here on the bench
                          (at Capital HS), the wind was really strong out of the SE, something that
                          hardly ever happens in my experience this time of day (noon to 2pm).

                          Reading at the Lucky Peak RAWS, SSW15G24... which would be UP
                          the reservoir? But the Barclay Bay meter shows "regular" easterly,
                          big spike at noon, didn't stay steady.

                          Strangest high pressure behavior I can remember. Hopefully it'll settle
                          down to our standard best-of-the-season Indian Summer morning wind.
                          _____________
                          Tom von Alten       http://fortboise.org/
                          tva@...
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                            I saw that roll through SE Boise at the same time.  Light SE now.

                            Don't you wish you could hover in the sky about 3000ft up and drop smoke bombs to see how the wind works around here?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010

                              Sorry, about your foot!  I hope your decision to launch wasn’t affected by my post…

                              Best regards,

                              Chris Lee.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                                  I notice it too , so I rushed home at 12;00 because I was thinking LL never thought to check LP . but at 12;02 at LP it was ese 24.2 G 24.2 if you were Johnny on the spot you could of got some really good ridging for a hour . witch brings me to Jon Bolt , he saw the strong SE and turned around and went back to LP but was there just about 30 mints to early , it hadn't really turned on yet so he left . Any way  it was 20 G 31 at 11;52 here in Boise but LL was only 3 . so I went back to work , got home at 4;00 and LL had been going for 1 1/2 but just quit , another job for Johnny on the spot

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                                    5:55pm....pressure getting unusually high.  Recent readings over 30.2 @ Boise A/P and MH.  Don't wanna jinx it, but SE flow, very high pressure, and warm temps...tomorrow could be best yet !!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
                                      Good to see everyone out on the Friday before the long weekend.  Hope you had fun Jon, I did.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
                                        Check USAIRMET for Sunday at Mountain Home...

                                        Hope it holds true

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 3, 2010
                                          Don't tell all the suckers that think the Gorge is the only place that Blows. Although, I guess if you want demon winds and 50+ that's where you gotta go???

                                          I'll plan on a two-fer this weekend. Although when the USAIRMET says winds above 25....typically, I need a smaller kite.

                                          But regardless I'll be there. good times this morning.

                                          EdD

                                          You guys that go to the Gorge, have fun I'm just pulling your chain, since I can't go. But I am glad I don't have to do the 6 hr drive.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 5, 2010
                                            Any one left in town?

                                            Planning on heading to CJS this afternoon. My goal is to hit the later session as the wind will probably be stronger but smoother. Less gusty after 4. I'd like to meet at Albys at 2:30. Right now it is Billy, Steve Baker, Jake, myself and ??? Let us know if you want to carpool as I'll only bring my truck if it is 3 or more riding in it.

                                            Eddy Petranek

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 5, 2010
                                              I'm in... but may drive myself.