Good Wetsuit Brands?

  • Nick Orlando
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      My end dream would be to get in on the morning crew to Lucky Peak before I get to work. I'll be having to do some noobie runs at one of the places that are "noob friendly". . . First, I need a wetsuit. What are quality brands out there? i see lots of knock-off cheap brands but I want to make sure I get a good brand that won't fall apart after one season.

      Thanks

      Nick
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010
        Nick, there's many good brands.  Bill Hemphill and I had cheap "Stearns" suits bought at CostCo that have lasted years and done just fine.  Bill is still using his.  There are also more expensive brands too.  I think its more about features and not necessarily brand.  Since you'll be in the LP water a lot, you'll want a 3mm full suit or maybe 3-4mm (3mm arms/legs for flexibility, 4mm torso).  Look for design that his interior lining like velvet (not sure what they call it, but it's like short, stretchable terrycloth on inside).  Also knee and elbow pads.  Neoprene formulations have advanced in recent years and are more flexible and insulative than older suits.  Others w/ more wetsuit knowledge than I may have other tips...

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010
            Come on Steve it's not Alaska, a drysuits a little overkill IMO.

            As a newb I spent a ton of time in the H20, just ask Eddy--thanks for the multiple saves! But seriously get a 5/4 or 5/3 any brand really and you'll be good. Given you won't be busting huge airs or scraping against rocks it'll last a couple seasons.

            Echoing Steve-I wear a Mystic Steamer 5/4 in spring/fall, a 3/2 in the cold summer mornings and 2/1 Shorty when its balmy (end of July).

            Check www.nwkite.com classifieds, there's tons of new & used suits for sale at all times.

            see ya out there, btw, how about the wind meter? Let's get it turned it on and Kite!

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010
              It depends on your tolerance to cold . There are a few guys at morning wind that use a Dry suit , I always wanted one but been to cheep to buy one . come in real handy at the Oregon cost

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2010
                I use a cheap $99 4/3 steamer almost all year and it's perfect... Other than being a complet pain in the ass to get in and out of. The seams are in pretty rough shape, but I used it last weekend and was perfect. Works great at OR coast too. For me the booties and hood make all the difference in warmth. My hands were fine last Sunday because of my hoodie. If I had to buy a new suit, i'd want one that was velvety inside and nice and stretchy. I heard the oniel mutant 5/4/3 is universally accepted as money. Tom c. Seems very happy with his. Tom?And were's the wind. My trunk is packed with gear and i'm making sales calls in Nampa. Hoping to score an afternoon sesh. Any predictions?

                It depends on your tolerance to cold . There are a few guys at morning wind that use a Dry suit , I always wanted one but been to cheep to buy one . come in real handy at the Oregon cost
                Come on Steve it's not Alaska, a drysuits a little overkill IMO.

                As a newb I spent a ton of time in the H20, just ask Eddy--thanks for the multiple saves! But seriously get a 5/4 or 5/3 any brand really and you'll be good. Given you won't be busting huge airs or scraping against rocks it'll last a couple seasons.

                Echoing Steve-I wear a Mystic Steamer 5/4 in spring/fall, a 3/2 in the cold summer mornings and 2/1 Shorty when its balmy (end of July).

                Check www.nwkite.com classifieds, there's tons of new & used suits for sale at all times.

                see ya out there, btw, how about the wind meter? Let's get it turned it on and Kite!

                > Nick I have been at morning wind every season science 1984 and I have used a 4-5 steamer in the spring and fall and a 3-4 or 2-3 and once in a grate while a shorty in the summer . If you can afford a dry suit I would definitely think hard about it . Being a beginner you will spend allot of time in the water and the little bit of mobility you will lose will more then make up for in comfort.

              • tony williams
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2010
                  Last few seasons i was using an o'Niel 3/2 and it was ok but this year got the 2010 NPX assasin 5/4/3 with liner.  Have only used it once but the seals are great and has extra straps at the leg openings to keep water from going up the legs from spray or wipe outs. Has bamboo in the liner to keep out the stink. I think it will do a great job for kiting.  Not sure of the retail price but Ryan got me a good deal.