Re: [snowkiteidaho] San Diego Kiteboarding

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2010
      Josh,

      I grew up in San Diego and travel back there to visit family frequently.  So I know.  San Diego is notoriously light wind place with infrequent winds.  But you might get lucky going March/April as seasonal transition has fronts coming through to make wind.  Two places near the city that folks go: Mission Bay near Fiesta Island.  This is a big cove w/ flat water.  More of a beginner spot cause veterans probably hate the silt.  Mission Bay was made/enlarged by dredging and so banks are the finest talc like silt you can imagine and if that stuff is dry and its windy, it gets everywhere.  Smile and your teeth polished and chew grit the rest of the day.  In your eyes, & every orifice.  A second place is down by Silver Strand state beach/park.  Natural, big wide open beach.  You cross Coronado bridge and drive south until you see the Silver Strand State Beach entrance.  People park in subdivision across the street to east and walk across to the beach, or you pay to park in the park.  There are places up north by Carlsbad and Delmar, but I've never traveled that far to try.  Silver Strand is my recommendation if you're anywhere near the central part of SD.  Not sure where you can rent boards.  If you need a kite travel bag to hold a board, I have extra wheeled "Deceiver Golf Bag" I've been meaning to sell and would let it go for good price.

      Jon

      On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Josh <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

      I will be in San Diego the last week of this month, and I'm looking for a good kiteboarding beach. I will need to rent a board and lifejacket while I'm there. Does anyone know a good spot?

      Thanks,
      Josh