Bruneau Dunes idaho

  • kiterguuy
    Message 1 of 26 , May 18, 2006
      so what goes threw your head when i metion a lake with sand all around
      it in the middle of idaho chack out the link .
      http://www.mountainvisions.com/QTVR/IdaQTVR/SWIdaho/BDunQTVR.html
    • kiterguuy
      Message 2 of 26 , May 18, 2006
      • kiterguuy
        Message 3 of 26 , May 18, 2006
          did i metion it is onely 50 mins away from boise

          http://virtualguidebooks.com/Idaho/SnakeRiverPlain/Bruneau/Bruneau_FSTOC.html

          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2006
            John,

            We all appreciate your enthusiasm.  The lake you are referring to is about 1/10 the size of Indian Creek...Basically a mud puddle with tall dunes on all sides.

            Keep up the hard work but a little research goes a long way

            Eddy
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19, 2006
              St. Anthony Sandunes are more what you are looking
              for. There is about a 40 acre lake at the bottom of
              thunder.(dune name) there is also a camp ground next
              to it. The lake is only about waist deep and has a
              sandy bottom. There are only dunes on one side of it
              so there is some potential for good riding. The lake
              is called Egin Lakes. One of these days when I go dune
              riding I might have to take my kite and try it. I have
              been pulled on a knee board behind a ATV around this
              lake. I would ride up the dune then across the water.
              it was pretty cool. I have even road my ATV across
              parts of it at a high rate of speed. I made it most of
              the time......;> The sanddunes are about 4-5 hrs from
              boise. You have to go threw Idaho Falls like you are
              heading for Montana.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                Greg,

                Let me know when you want to go. I'll load up my ATV as well For guaranteed action

                Eddy
                St. Anthony Sandunes are more what you are looking
                for. There is about a 40 acre lake at the bottom of
                thunder.(dune name) there is also a camp ground next
                to it. The lake is only about waist deep and has a
                sandy bottom. There are only dunes on one side of it
                so there is some potential for good riding. The lake
                is called Egin Lakes. One of these days when I go dune
                riding I might have to take my kite and try it. I have
                been pulled on a knee board behind a ATV around this
                lake. I would ride up the dune then across the water.
                it was pretty cool. I have even road my ATV across
                parts of it at a high rate of speed. I made it most of
                the time......;> The sanddunes are about 4-5 hrs from
                boise. You have to go threw Idaho Falls like you are
                heading for Montana.

                --- "Gear Daddy, LLC" <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > We all appreciate your enthusiasm.  The lake you are
                > referring to is about
                > 1/10 the size of Indian Creek...Basically a mud
                > puddle with tall dunes on
                > all sides.
                >
                > Keep up the hard work but a little research goes a
                > long way
                >
                > Eddy

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • kiterguuy
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                  k cool thanks it looked like a good size in the pics

                  > John,
                  >
                  > We all appreciate your enthusiasm. The lake you are referring to is
                  about
                  > 1/10 the size of Indian Creek...Basically a mud puddle with tall
                  dunes on
                  > all sides.
                  >
                  > Keep up the hard work but a little research goes a long way
                  >
                  > Eddy

                • kiterguuy
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                    what about american falls dam looks good for a luanch when low

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                      Too many better places close by.... how would you like to drive 3.5 hours,
                      one way, only to get skunked. Think that happened to the bi-sailor Steve
                      Linane earlier this spring. However, they can and do get a lot of wind
                      though.

                      Hard to beat Lucky Peak at 15 minutes away. But as Eddy said.... Keep
                      looking.

                      -Jason

                      what about american falls dam looks good for a luanch when low

                      > k cool thanks it looked like a good size in the pics
                      > >
                      > > John,
                      > >
                      > > We all appreciate your enthusiasm. The lake you are referring to is
                      > about
                      > > 1/10 the size of Indian Creek...Basically a mud puddle with tall
                      > dunes on
                      > > all sides.
                      > >
                      > > Keep up the hard work but a little research goes a long way
                      > >
                      > > Eddy

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Greg Schutte
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                        American falls Dam would be a ok place. I have been
                        there alot. But if you are going to drive 3.5 hrs you
                        might as well make it worth your while and go to
                        oregon. I know of at least a dozen lakes from here to
                        american falls. That would be good riding if the wind
                        is blowing. Keep looking though!

                        Greg

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/60TolB/TM

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Greg Schutte
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                          I even used to snowboard them in the summer. There is a dune on the
                          very west side called Devils dune, it is about a quater mile high. I
                          got a ride to the top from my brother and his ATV and I snowboarded
                          down it. I was doing that stuff back in 1990.
                          There are some smaller dunes to the east that you could easily ride
                          with a mountain board. The campground has bathrooms and even. I might
                          have to try to get out there this year.

                          --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                            Indian Creek Revs. Might work tomorrow.

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 19, 2006

                              I was thinking the same thing… and then Lucky Peak Sunday morning

                              http://traxpc.homedns.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

                              Keep in touch…  Saturday is homebrewing day for me… but you never know…

                              -Jason

                                I love Bruneau.  Awesome place to go to hang out.  I've snowboarded on the dunes before.  Pretty cool.  Took a kite and snow board one day.  Winds were a little up and down to make it consistently cool.  Lake is definitely too small, but y'all know my philosophy on the water:  "Forget the water, its too wet!" :)  Took a 3m buggy kite out there a couple weeks ago, and used it to run up the dunes.  It made it super easy to get to the top; turned a 1hr slog into a 10 minute jog.

                                Darrel

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 19, 2006
                                  how can you not like water that got to be a sin lol just kidding.
                                  if you can sand board chould you get going wit a sand board on a
                                  kite?? that whould be somthing to try if not yet done.

                                  > I love Bruneau. Awesome place to go to hang out. I've snowboarded
                                  on the dunes before. Pretty cool. Took a kite and snow board one
                                  day. Winds were a little up and down to make it consistently cool.
                                  Lake is definitely too small, but y'all know my philosophy on the
                                  water: "Forget the water, its too wet!" :) Took a 3m buggy kite out
                                  there a couple weeks ago, and used it to run up the dunes. It made it
                                  super easy to get to the top; turned a 1hr slog into a 10 minute jog.

                                  > Darrel

                                • Darrel Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 2006
                                    I dabbled at kiting w/ a sandboard last year.  Went to the coast and rented a sandboard and took it to the beach.  I wore out the base in 20minutes.  I think it might go better out at Bruneau where the sand is softer and you could ride the board flatter going up and down the dune.  I think being constantly on the heel side edge griding away in the wet beach sand was too much for it.  The other thing is, you wax the base to make it slide, but the wax is gone after each ride down the dune.  But again I think that the drier sand at bruneau might let you get away with not waxing.  Otherwise you'd be stopping everuy 5 minutes to rewax.

                                    Darrel
                                    how can you not like water that got to be a sin lol just kidding.
                                    if you can sand board chould you get going wit a sand board on a
                                    kite?? that whould be somthing to try if not yet done.

                                    > I love Bruneau.  Awesome place to go to hang out.  I've snowboarded
                                    on the dunes before.  Pretty cool.  Took a kite and snow board one
                                    day.  Winds were a little up and down to make it consistently cool.
                                    Lake is definitely too small, but y'all know my philosophy on the
                                    water:  "Forget the water, its too wet!" :)  Took a 3m buggy kite out
                                    there a couple weeks ago, and used it to run up the dunes.  It made it
                                    super easy to get to the top; turned a 1hr slog into a 10 minute jog.

                                    > Darrel

                                  • Ryan Wait
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                      Monte, Chris, and I road at ICR last night. It was really great. I rode my 5m atom. It is crazy fast and fun. i am thinking it was 25-39 mph. what a spring! all my big kites are getting dusty. If wind looks crap here this weekend i am think about checking out AFR, or Wilson Lake. Anybody interested?

                                      Ryan

                                      Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Learn more.
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                        WOW!  Glad I didn't head out there.  My 11m would have been too big for 30-39mph.

                                        Glad you had fun.

                                        -Jason

                                        Monte, Chris, and I road at ICR last night. It was really great. I rode my 5m atom. It is crazy fast and fun. i am thinking it was 25-39 mph. what a spring! all my big kites are getting dusty. If wind looks crap here this weekend i am think about checking out AFR, or Wilson Lake. Anybody interested?

                                        Ryan

                                        Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Learn more.

                                      • Kay Walst6on
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 15, 2008

                                          Hey Ryan,

                                          what and where are afr and wilson lake.

                                          Thanks!

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 15, 2008

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                              wilson lake is about 1hr 30minutes from boise. It is
                                              between twin falls and burley.

                                              Greg

                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                AFR is American Falls Reservoir.  About 3 hours to American Falls from Boise.

                                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                  What about the mudhole north of mountain home?

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                    Are you talking about M.H.R. (Mountain Home Reservoir) or R.C.R. (Richard Caldwell Reservoir)?

                                                    Anybody think the wind will come up enough for a sesh at ICR or should I be setting my eyes on a frigid dip in LP Fri or Sat morning?

                                                    -Jason

                                                    > Make Windows Vista more
                                                    reliable and secure with
                                                    > Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Learn more.

                                                  • tony williams
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                      I too am thinking of going for an icy excursion at LP on Sat.  Lets hope the wind makes up for the lack of comfort.  Probably will be a short session.  If you go on Friday, let me know how it is and take along a thermometre and get a water temp reading.
                                                      Cheers

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 16, 2008
                                                        WOW idaho gets wind --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Jason