Snowkiting meetup

  • whitnuld
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
      Hey all -

      I'm psyched you're organizing. I have another event tonight, and can't make the meeting at the Hollow, but wanted to let you how Winter Wildlands Alliance can help groups get going and make a different.

      WWA has relationships with National Forest and other officials all over the region, and with elected officials at the state and national level, not to mention media contacts. We even have a lobbyist in Washington.

      Whatever direction you'd like to go (formal, informal, or something in between), Winter Wildlands can help. We're made up of grassroots groups just like the one you're starting, from large groups with paid staff, to tiny startups with just 2 members. Most began in response to local access or user conflict issues. Just like kiters, most backcountry skiers I work with are not joiners and really like their solitude, which can make organizing a group a challenge.

      If you look at our website (www.winterwildlands.org), you'll see no partner snowkite organizations listed. This is only because there aren't many in existence, and of the very few out there, none have approached us yet. I spoke recently with a leader of the one of the national kiting organizations recently about us affiliating. We agreed that snowkiting is indeed backcountry riding, and we both had a lot to gain by working together. I'll let you know where our discussions lead.

      The WWA website has tips on how to start a grassroots org. We also can help negotiate access issues. Just say the word if you'd like to get together--we don't charge for our services. We're a nonprofit after all.

      One last thing: it's not kiting, but it's good snowy fun. Our board and staff went to Colorado for a strategic planning session last week. Here's what it looked like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18823458@N05/sets/72157623385938956/

      Cheers -

      Whitney
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
        From reading Whitney's email it looks like WWA has been through this before so no need to reinvent the wheel . I vote that the WWA is the first place we seek help if it comes to that . but I am not convinced we need to do anything at this time . My understanding is the land owners are in the strongest legal position by not acknowledging that we are there . It's a good thing that Monty's 90 year old buddy doesn't remember from year to year. I would prefer that they didn't give us any thought at all .Also I understand that planning for the worst case scenario is prudent , but really , how likely is it that someone will sue if something happens . I won't and I don't know anyone that would . And if we get 86ed from the private land we still have the Snowmobile park to use while we work things out , so that's our fall back plan .So again lets LET IT RIDE .
        Okay, I will address the parking and the rest rooms too, I guess . I don't believe we could raise the money needed to accomplish this , buying ground and developing it is very far out of the realm of possibilities . A acre with gravel parking and a restroom you couldn't touch for under $75,000.00 . Just to subdivide off one acre could take one to two years and $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 that's if you could get the owner to do it because its a long arduous task . It would be nice to have more parking , I don't want to go up there some day and get aced out because the lot is full . but lets wait and see if that ever happens......

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
          Hello guys,

          Sorry I didn't make the meeting.  Things are still crazy busy around here still.  Additionally, I really just wanted to stop by and catch up than add any value to the meeting.  I still need to get up there and have some fun this year.

          Hope the meeting was productive.

          Regards,
          -Jason

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
            I don't like a plan that involves wait and see and then act.  Land access will become an issue and I think we should organize before it does.  My 90 year old land owner won't stay 90 forever.

          • darrelthomas@cableone.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
              While there may be a need to be organized and have an action plan established, I feel that it would still be unwise to poke the sleeping dog, or we may find ourselves with no access sooner than later. I am going to meet with the Winter Wildlands Alliance early next week to get their read on the issue and find out how they may be able to help us.

              Darrel Thomas
              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010

                I'm not apposed to organizing but that is a nebulas word , what do you mean by organize ? I can see doing the research i.e.. meet with Whitney and the WWA( its free ) know our options and get everyone on the same  page that makes allot of scenes . But I am hesitant to go to the land owners and try to strike a deal that most likely will blow up in our face . I for one wont vote for anything that doesn't come with a guarantee ,( Whey are you so sure land access will become an issue ? do you know something we don't ? ) Look the snowmobileors have been trespassing a lot longer then we have , and there sport is every bit as dangers as ours , and they have there far share of yahoos ,more when you add beer to the equation . So if they haven't got themselves kick off yet I feel we aren't in any worst position then they are . Lets set up a meeting with the WWA and go from there ................

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
                  No one is going to land owners to wake the sleeping giant.  I agree that gathering information is a great step.    I am just voicing my opinion and anything we can do to prepare, including meeting with the WWA sounds good to me.