Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Moonlit session at Camas?

  • Nick Orlando
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2009
      Nice!!! I like your thinking, that would be really awesome to have a buncha people out at night for kitesoldier. I have done one land session (mountainboard) in the wee hours of the morning(3am) and I just got those glowsticks and slid a few in the cells because it was an opencell foil. It worked great until I dove it to the ground and a few fell out each time... lol.

      On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Jim <jbates@...> wrote:

      John Mills and I have talked about this for some time... scoping out an area prior to nightfall for obstructions and hazards, attaching small colored (red/green/white) light emitting diodes (LED's) to the wing tips and trailing edge for directional purposes with your kiting friends (maybe even attaching some inside the foil to look cool or ONLY place the LED's inside the foil to freak out the locals... either way may freak out the locals). We've all been outside in winter with snow covering every surface at night(cloudy or moonlit) and you know that there is enough ambient light that you'd be good to go in most night conditions (take a headlamp too just for fun). Anyway I've seen LED's that you can attach via lightweight magnet that would work well... check online.
      Anyway... use your best judgement with visibility and possible obstructions/hazards being of concern and obviosly weather (Know the weather forcast because you obviously won't be able to see approaching fronts or changing weather conditions) and DON'T DO IT if you've got any concerns! If conditions permit we should plan something at night for KiteSoldier this year(well in 2010)... that would make one heck of a video to see internally lit foils flying through the night sky!!! Something like that might just go viral on youtube.
      Good winds and snow soon,

      James T. Bates
      Vice President & County Manager
      First American Title Company