Re: [snowkiteidaho] Kiting in SoCal?

  • Andrew Goldman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
      Ledbetter in Santa barbara is tricky spot but do not be affraid to take a downwinder to east beach and catch the shuttle or bus back.  Jalama is north of that and has best riding in the area as well as great camping and fabulous burgers.  Go north to pismo beach for on shore wave riding.  Make sure to stop at sicamore hotsprings after long day kiting.  Camping in pismo is primo!
      San simion north has great wave kiting but you'll have to set up your lines around the sea lions.  go south of Santa barbara to Cstreet in Ventura for advanced launch and Leo Corrilo between LA and Oxnard for food wind.  Check with locals at all spots to get the run down.  Have a blast.  Best time of the year for kiting on dental coast is spring time.  Summer for LA spots.
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:50, Kiteboard <idahokiteboard@...> wrote:

      Mission Bay in San Diego,  Huntington Beach on the North Side of the Pier you'll see the kiters.    Also Sunset beach just before Long Beachthink it's about 56street has a pretty good break so more advanced kiters.   And Belmont Shore in Long Beach great easy launch long beach not any swell so better suited for beginers... Not Sure around Los Angeles Santa Monica but in Pismo Beach their are a few areas check for local kite shops on Internet. Also Santa Barbara has several great places Ledbetter beach east Beach isla vista
      ....let us know how it goes I'll be down there in December ....
      Life is to short not to Kiteboard when ever possible
      Billy McMaster

      On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:39 AM, "Jack Harrison" <hyqual@cableone. net> wrote:

      Anyone "kited" in SoCal?

      Penny and I are headed to southern California to "beach camp" at San Elijo
      (near San Diego). After a week in SoCal, we'll head north to Central
      California.. .San Luis Obispo, then north on Hwy 1 to ???

      We're not taking windsurfing gear because the wind tends to be light, and
      the gear heavy. But, we'll have our kites.

      Anyone ever do any kiting or know where to go down there? Thanks, Jack

      Jack Harrison,
      208-861-1654

    • Kay Walstom

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2009
          Jack,
          San Diego is notorious light wind, very big kite place if you can kite at all...unless a front comes through.  I'm down in SD right now on personal matters.  Brought my kite gear just in case, but really don't expect much and will be surprised if I use it.  However, the day the big low swept through Boise dropping temps, the winds everywhere in west kicked up, including SD which was 14m the day I flew in.

          Places in SD are across the Coronado Bridge south of Hotel Del between the two big condo towers.  Also farther south at right by the entrance to the State beach park.  In LA, Belmont Shores (Long Beach) and just south of there Seal Beach are best for southern side of LA.  Huntington Beach can be good too.  North near Malibu.  For kiting anywhere between Ventura and south LA, contact my buddy Paul Dutch: 805-390-8500.  He'll get you educated.

          Jon

          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Jack Harrison <hyqual@...> wrote:

          Anyone "kited" in SoCal?

          Penny and I are headed to southern California to "beach camp" at San Elijo
          (near San Diego). After a week in SoCal, we'll head north to Central
          California...San Luis Obispo, then north on Hwy 1 to ???

          We're not taking windsurfing gear because the wind tends to be light, and
          the gear heavy. But, we'll have our kites.

          Anyone ever do any kiting or know where to go down there?  Thanks, Jack

          Jack Harrison,

        • Jack Harrison
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
            Thanks to all regarding kiting in SoCal. Some good info with Westy
            getting the "Best of" award for providing a link to information on all
            site; and Monty working all the up Hwy1
            to some of the most beautiful country any where!

            We made it to the San Elijo Sunday afternoon with the wind blowing
            10-20 on-shore. The surf was light and

            Jack Harrison/HyQual
            208.861.1654

          • Jack Harrison
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
              Anyway...I went out for an hour on my 11m and made it outside after a
              bit of a strugle. Played in the swells until I got caught in side.
              Once I was getting washed in I lost power and the kite dropped into
              the surf. I washed in with the kite and called it good, and headed
              back to camp ready for a beer!

              The guy with 16m did much better but it worked and was lots fun
              playing in the surf. not a bad start when not expecting much

              Today light wind, 68 air, 68 water. Surfing

              Jack Harrison/HyQual
              208.861.1654