RE: Lake Lowell help: cut & paste & send this email to Senator Crapo

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
      I don't know if politicos de-rate messages when they receive identical copies... but I figure they have to pay slightly more attention if the message is unique.  So I sent the following modified version.

      (I see my final edit left "kitesurfing" in once. Meant to follow Jon's lead and call it kitesailing... but checking Google, I see it's 2.6M to 68k in favor of -surfing... and -surfing has the Wikipedia entry (which I recommend for barneys such as myself for the amusing "lingo" section.))
      Tom von Alten
      http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      Dear Senator Crapo:

      I was not able to attend the meeting last week at Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge but I have been following the news about recreational restrictions on Lake Lowell and in the Refuge with interest. I am happy to hear that you have taken an interest in the issue.

      I have windsurfed at Lake Lowell from time to time since the 1980s, and the recent action by the managers of the refuge to declare a ban on the related sport of kitesailing (a.k.a. "kiteboarding," not involving motorized towing) came as an unwelcome surprise. I have yet to see an explanation for WHY this unilateral action was taken, with no public input whatsoever. Both types of board sailing are extremely low impact, with arguably less disturbance to wildlife and habitat than motorized recreation that has long happened at Lake Lowell.

      Last Saturday, May 30, you announced an understanding reached with US Fish and Wildlife Service that there will be no changes to the types of motorboating allowed on Lake Lowell for the next couple of years (until the FWS CCP process is completed and then only if it determines otherwise). I would hope this same understanding could be extended to other historical recreational uses, and in particular kitesurfing, windsurfing, and sailing in general.

      I ask that you please extend the protections concerning all types of motorboat uses on Lake Lowell to include all types of sailing uses as well, including kitesailing.

      Sincerely,