Lake Lowell help: cut & paste & send this email to Senator Crapo

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
      ALL:

      It would likely be very helpful if you'd send an email or letter to Senator Crapo about the kiteboarding restriction.  To make it easy for you, you can cut & paste the form letter below.  Previously I had been asking Crapo's staff to help us work w/ FWS to lift the ban.  However, I now think a better tactic is to leverage off the new "no restrictions to motorboating" agreement Senator Crapo advertised Saturday, which appeared to be a work product of he & his team.  That agreement is a terrific precedent for us to point to, and since he/his staff produced it, they (not FWS) would be on the hook for its "narrowness" and they'd be the proper target for efforts to get it changed/extended...since they made it w/ FWS.  It was good work, but incomplete:  we need to ask the Senator why that agreement was confined to motorboating and not extended to other uses?  I wish I'd been thinking fast enough on Saturday to ask that question in the public/TV forum, because that setting could've brought much more pressure and quicker results.  Unfortunately, I didn't know about that agreement until it was announced, and then didn't think fast enough to figure out the opportunity it presented.  So now we have to build pressure in a slower way, and a wave of emails/letters would help.  We need to ask him to extend the motorboating agreement to all sailing uses, and the letter below does that.

      If you send an email, do it via the link on Crapo's website (since his exact email isn't published, at least that I can find).  Cut & paste the text below into his webpage form at:  http://crapo.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm

      For the 'subject' field, paste in:          HELP: Federal recreational restrictions at Lake Lowell

      If you prefer postal mail (which some think garners more attention because it shows somebody cared enough to make a greater effort), mail it to:

      Senator Mike Crapo
      251 East Front Street
      Suite 205
      Boise, ID 83702

      Senator Crapo:

      Last Saturday, May 30, you announced welcome news of an understanding reached with US FWS: there will be no changes to the types of motorboating allowed on Lake Lowell for the next couple of years (until the FWS CCP process is completed and then only if it determines otherwise).

      While that is welcome progress, why was this temporary recreational protection confined just to motorboating and not extended to any other historical recreational uses?

      Just as there are many types of motorboating, there are also many types of human powered boating (canoeing, kayaking, rafting, etc.), swimming, and sailing as well.  Why were none of these afforded the same interim protection as motorboating?

      Prior to your announcement, motorboating had not suffered any actual restrictions...only threat of restriction.  In contrast, sailing had already become the first "on-water" recreational use of any kind to begin suffering official restrictions at the Refuge.  Just this year FWS added "kite-boarding" (or more properly named "kite-sailing", a type of sailing) to the list of prohibited activities published in the Refuge's visitor's pamphlet.  Kiteboarders have been sailing Lake Lowell since about 2000, often in full view of FWS personnel.  In all those years never before did kite-sailing appear in the pamphlet's "prohibited list".  Suddenly this year it has been added.  Undeniably, that is a change.  The intense spotlight on mere threat to motorboating seems to have distracted from recognition that other more wild-life benign uses have actually begun to be restricted by the Federal FWS.

      This prohibition of a sailing use is hard to understand given FWS's motivation for considering restrictions is supposed to be based on concern for wildlife & habitat.  Certainly sailing and kite-sailing are far less threatening to wildlife than than most all other forms of "on-water" recreation happening at the lake.  Yet senselessly, sailing has become the first use to begin suffering restrictions.

      Please extend the protections you announced May 30 concerning all types of motorboat uses on Lake Lowell to include all types of sailing uses as well...including kite-sailing.  All other long-established recreational uses deserve the same interim protection as motorboating.

      Respectfully,

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
        Re: [BSA] Lake Lowell help: cut & paste & send this email to Senator Crapo Done,
        Eddy

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
          I don't know if politicos de-rate messages when they receive identical copies... but I figure they have to pay slightly more attention if the message is unique.  So I sent the following modified version.

          (I see my final edit left "kitesurfing" in once. Meant to follow Jon's lead and call it kitesailing... but checking Google, I see it's 2.6M to 68k in favor of -surfing... and -surfing has the Wikipedia entry (which I recommend for barneys such as myself for the amusing "lingo" section.))
          Tom von Alten
          http://fortboise.org/
          tva@...

          Dear Senator Crapo:

          I was not able to attend the meeting last week at Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge but I have been following the news about recreational restrictions on Lake Lowell and in the Refuge with interest. I am happy to hear that you have taken an interest in the issue.

          I have windsurfed at Lake Lowell from time to time since the 1980s, and the recent action by the managers of the refuge to declare a ban on the related sport of kitesailing (a.k.a. "kiteboarding," not involving motorized towing) came as an unwelcome surprise. I have yet to see an explanation for WHY this unilateral action was taken, with no public input whatsoever. Both types of board sailing are extremely low impact, with arguably less disturbance to wildlife and habitat than motorized recreation that has long happened at Lake Lowell.

          Last Saturday, May 30, you announced an understanding reached with US Fish and Wildlife Service that there will be no changes to the types of motorboating allowed on Lake Lowell for the next couple of years (until the FWS CCP process is completed and then only if it determines otherwise). I would hope this same understanding could be extended to other historical recreational uses, and in particular kitesurfing, windsurfing, and sailing in general.

          I ask that you please extend the protections concerning all types of motorboat uses on Lake Lowell to include all types of sailing uses as well, including kitesailing.

          Sincerely,