Re: [BSA] Re: FW: kite boards need a sticker?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
      in the case of kiting, what is the "non motorized vessel" requiring the sticker?  the board?  the kite?  the person? all 3?

      So a boat can get one sticker to cover 6 wakeboards and 4 skiis in use on its racks, but I have to buy one sticker for every single board or kite I use?  Or does every non-motorized vessel (board) carried on a boat require the $5 sticker too?

      ...and in the case of wakeboarding or skiing its the boat that needs the sticker, not the boards it's carrying?...so similarly I need a sticker for the wind but not my boards?

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:
      There was quite a bit of discussion in the Legislature about how this would apply to everything, specifically they talked about kayaks and canoes. My understanding was the only thing exempted was inflatables under 10 feet and single float tubes. There were some who argued single float tubes should be included, along with waders, because they can spread the mussels. This is NOT registration. It is a specific invasive species program thru the state Dept of Agriculture to fund anti-quagga and zebra mussel programs; its purpose is simply to raise money for those programs. I've talked with Mike and looked at the bill, and I think his argument that it does apply to us is pretty persuasive. Each sticker for a non-motorized vessel is $5.

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:
      A state (or federal) requirement for licensing of sailboards and kiteboards (et al.) would most definitely be a new regulation. These HAVE been grouped with, treated as, unregulated as the "water toys" mentioned in Idaho Code 67-7003 (22).

      If it's time to grow up, that's fine, but it's my personal opinion that HB 213 did not explicitly do that.

      Was there ANY discussion of the specific question by the Legislature?

      Jack, if you want to make a voluntary contribution to help combat zebra mussels, good on ya, but to the extent that you propose to infer a requirement when none has been specifically enacted, I think you're setting a bad example.

      Mike's our state Economist after all, he should be all in favor of you sending him money.
      _____________
      Tom von Alten
      http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
        67-7003 defines "vessel" as broadly as one can imagine, exempting only a few particular items, and then the catch-all of "such as inflatable air matresses, single inner tubes, and beach and water toys." They didn't see fit to further define "water toys."

        67-7040 lists vessels specifically exempt from titling. See also
        • rowboats (manually propelled by oars)
        • canoes
        • kayaks
        • drift boats
        • inflatable vessels
        • rafts
        • barges
        • non-motorized paddle vessels
        • sailboards
        • tenders
        • seaplanes
        • documented vessels
        • vessels owned by the U.S. or a foreign state or political subdivision
        • outboard motorboats 12 feet or less in length
        It's not as direct as defining a sailboard as a vessel, but it at least implies that. It does not list "kiteboards" so lawyers can haggle about whether or not a "kiteboard" is a "sailboard," I suppose. Are water skis and wakeboards vessels, or "water toys"?

        Our esteemed Legislature has acted in defense against invasive organisms, and by Betsy's account, we all should chip in for whatever "things" we want to dip in Idaho waters, except for those "small rafts and other inflatable vessels less than ten (10) feet in length." Apparently the mussels have something against inflatability? And if you have a big raft less than 10 feet in length, it's not exempted.

        Perhaps an inflation nipple would be a nice addition to my sailboard.

        And you kitesailors, looks like you're going to have to keep those kites off the water unless you get a sticker for them, too. Ouch.

        Welcome to your latest tax boys and girls. And here I thought the Legislature was nothing more than a bunch of clowns putting on a circus.

        Anybody want to take side bets on whether the sticker moneys are put to useful effect? I'd love to think it was possible (and I've been known to argue on goverment's side), but the degree and duration of dilligence to protect our waterways from the invasive mollusks is not something I believe our bureaucracy is actually capable of.
        _____________
        Tom von Alten
        http://fortboise.org/
        tva@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
          I was told that sticker money will pay for boat showers at launch. My guess is run off water goes straight back to lake. Tax is right.

          Well maybe we will get a shower at beach to wash off our equipment. That does not sound to bad

          Sent from
          Eddy Petranek

          On Apr 30, 2009, at 2:29 PM, "Tom von Alten" <tva@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Jack Harrison
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009

            Here is a site with some more information (sent to us by the tax “projection” man)

            http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/idahoinvasivespeciesfund.aspx

            Per the Parks and Rec, the law requires

            New Law

            Under the new law, any boat that is registered in Idaho or another state, and any non-motorized vessel (canoe, kayak, raft, drift boat, etc.) will be required to purchase and display IISF stickers in order to legally launch and operate in Idaho . Inflatable, non-motorized vessels must be less than 10 feet in length to be exempted from this requirement.

            A “board” is Not a boat but could be a vessel?? At least some seem as a big as a boat…..

            Either way, per the FAQs…..

            Where do the stickers get attached on nonrigid boats such as inflatable rafts?

            A. Stickers can be slit with a knife and attached to the vessel with a zip tie, plastic attachment, or other similar mechanism. You may want to put a backing of some type on the sticker to prevent it from tearing before slitting. You may also want to consider having the sticker laminated into a hang tag or attaching the sticker to a sturdy placard before attaching it to the vessel.

            So, we can by one sticker ($5 for the good of the cause), put on a hag tag and have it in our possession. Or we can take our chances see what the judge says when we plead “not guilty”

            Q. What if I do not purchase the IISF Sticker?

            A. Boating on the waters of the State of Idaho without displaying the required Invasive Species Sticker will be a violation of Idaho Code Chapter 70, Title 67, Section 67-7008(A) , which has a fixed penalty of $57.00. A law enforcement officer could issue the operator/owner of the vessel a Uniform Citation for violation of this law. The operator/owner would have three options if issued a citation for violation of this section; mail the citation to the County Court or Clerk’s Office with the required $57.00, stop at the County Court Clerk’s Office and pay the $57.00 in person, or appear in County Magistrate Court and plead not guilty, requesting a Court Trial.

            Jack Harrison, PhD, PE, PH-GW

            HyQual

            208-861-1654

[...]

                ____________ _
                Tom von Alten
                http://fortboise. org/
                tva@fortboise. org

                --~--~------ ---~--~-- --~------ ------~-- -----~--~ ----~
                To post: BoiseSailors@ googlegroups. com
                Group stuff: http://groups. google.com/ group/BoiseSailo rs
                Sailing stuff: http://fortboise. org/windsurfing/
                -~---------- ~----~--- -~----~-- ----~---- ~------~- -~---

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Re: [snowkiteidaho] RE: [BSA] RE: kite boards need a sticker? 5 boards, 2 sailboards, 2 wakeboards, 1 slalom ski, 1 boat, 1 ski tube, glad I got rid of the kayaks.

                  I already paid $10 for the boat.  I think I’ll wait and see if we get busted. Not buying another sticker nor saying anything until then.

                  The way I read it: IISF sticker prices are $10 for motorized vessels registered in Idaho, $20 for other motorized vessels, and $5 per non-motorized vessel over 10 feet.

                  Most of us are riding toys less then 10ft in length. Let’s just stick to this wording. Maybe we are complaining to early...windsurfers I won’t say anything  if your riding an ole 13’ one design same goes for the other kiteboarders.

                  Any word on Lake Lowell do we need to do something as a group?

                  Eddy

                  From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@...>
                  Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:18:26 -0600
                  To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                  Under the new  law, any boat that is registered in Idaho or another state, and any  non-motorized vessel (canoe, kayak, raft, drift boat, etc.) will be required  to purchase <http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/stickerpurchase.aspx>  and  display IISF stickers in order to legally launch and operate in Idaho.  Inflatable, non-motorized vessels must be less than 10 feet in length to be  exempted from this requirement.

                  <http://fortboise.org/>
                  tva@...

                    From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@...>
                    Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:18:26 -0600