Re: [BSA] Re: Kiteboarding @ Lake Lowell

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
      Thanks, Tom.  Helpful.  Steve Baker...isn't he a windsurfer and was he windsurfing?  So on that occasion they were going after windsurfing too?

      At Todd Fenzl's urging (refuge law enforcement officer) I read the Codes of Federal Regulations, and the Federal Register they point to, to determine if kiteboarding is banned.  I find no such language even remotely banning kiteboarding.  The regs say local managers can institute locally unique rules, so my conclusion is the kiteboarding ban is local (I also conclude this because Todd himself said Elaine made the decision to ban it at LL...not some higher level authority).  I wonder if Steve just got some "we're not empowered to change the rules" bunk from Elaine just to erect appearance of insurmountable obstacles.  My investigation so far tells me this is only a local ban and therefore locally changeable.

      I've got some followup communication going with Todd about lifting the ban, and I'll let you all know what I learn after he's replied.

      Jon

      On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:
      Cross-posting to BSA and snowkite groups, I'm not on idahokiteboarding.

      You can mine the archives for some of the history if you didn't save it yourself. "The incident at Gott's Point" was on Friday, Sept. 22, 2006.

      The person who was prevented from launching was Steve Baker <sbakerdvm@...>, and he sent me his account the next week; I forwarded it to these two groups on Wed 9/27/2006, subject "RE: Lake Lowell Access". His conclusion at that time from talking with Elaine Johnson was:

      I asked her if it was futile to pursue this further; she said the final decision would have to come from far above her or the regional office; we both called USFWS law enforcement for their take, and they agreed. According to them, there's no benefit to having kiters and windsurfers there, so no permission is granted. So that leaves a campaign with the National Office, a branch of which is at NIFC, but only the fire branch.

      As Jon's latest account shows, she may have changed her tune since then.

      Did some searching, and I turned up an org chart for the FWS:
      http://www.fws.gov/offices/orgcht.html

      The Pacific Region's Regional Director is Roby Thorson, if you want to aim high. She's a J.D. (still licensed in the state of Washington) and a big baseball fan.
      http://www.fws.gov/pacific/news/2008/robyn.pdf

      Or the Assistant Director of the National Wildlife Refuge System, Greg Siekaniec:
      http://www.fws.gov/offices/gregsiekaniec.html

      Looks like you have to work in Alaska to get your big cheese on.

    • Kay Walst6on
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
        I was talking to a client of mine about this today and he said they were going to get rid of motorized vehicles too.  I can't back that up it's hear say but he's reliable.

        Kay Walston, CRS, e-Pro
        Realtor - Top Producer
        Boise, ID. 83706
        208-860-5053 - cell
        208-331-6833 - e-fax

        The person who was prevented from launching was Steve Baker <sbakerdvm@hotmail. com>, and he sent me his account the next week; I forwarded it to these two groups on Wed 9/27/2006, subject "RE: Lake Lowell Access". His conclusion at that time from talking with Elaine Johnson was:

        To post: BoiseSailors@ googlegroups. com
        Group stuff: http://groups. google.com/ group/BoiseSailo rs
        Sailing stuff: http://fortboise. org/windsurfing/