Re: [snowkiteidaho] Bruneau Sand Dunes Kiting Fun?

  • Nick Orlando
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2009
      Right on, yeah I haven't been up there so I wasn't sure if there was
      any flat areas with less soft sand. I'll see what happens :) hopefully
      even just a little bit o' dune jumping. That would be pretty awesome
      Darrel, going to the top, and landing on the lake below :D. Especially
      after watching these snowkiting videos from Alex Peterson today, it
      could be possible!!!

      I'll let you know what I see out there.

      Nick

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2009
        Nick if you do some of this let me know
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myvsg65admI

        <darrelthomas@...> wrote:
        > I took a kite and a POS snowboard out there a couple summers ago. There
        > was
        > potential. The winds were pretty erratic; gusty and switchy. But, every
        > once in awhile, it would come together long enough for me to say that it
        > might work under the right conditions. It takes some serious juice to
        > break
        > loose, but then it glides reasonably well, and if its dry it carves fairly
        > nice too. I have wanted to try it with some old skis, but just haven’t had
        > a good excuse to trek out there and do it. I think it would be too soft
        > for
        > a land board unless frozen…
        >

        > (I have sick and twisted visions of kiting to the top, popping off the
        > top,
        > gliding all the way down, landing on the lake and riding back on to the
        > dune
        > to do it again!!)
        >

        > Tell us how it goes. I’d be into checking it out again.
        >

        > Darrel

      • Nick Orlando
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 26, 2009
          LOL!! Yeah, If i do anything like that.... I'll let you know. NICE!

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2009
            My advice ... avoid mid-day thermal conditions there. During the TV shoot I
            watch a kite get ripped out of a girls hands and watched as it disappeared
            thousands of feet into the sky. Thermals aka Dust devils can and will rip
            thru unexpectedly. Most of the the video shown here is sea breeze
            conditions, with ridge lift only no thermals.

            Be careful and have fun.

          • Darrel Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2009
              Sweet chunk of vid Steve. Imagine if one of those boys had taken their board
              to the top. My dream would be reality.