RE: [BSA] Weather Station

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
      Weather Station
      Looks like a nice offering from Oregon Scientific, which is a brand that I trust, even though I haven't had any recent experience with them. (Ah, the power of branding.)  It is an "own backyard" sort of offering, which implies a certain high tolerance for futzing?

      Eddy's item #4 regarding delta-P to LPRAWS is interesting. I wonder what sort of difference is typical, and how it compares to the instruments' accuracy and precision?

      Sounds like we'd want some way to test the wireless connection in the (or a similar) situation. If "metal enclosures can greatly degrade the signal," going through (around?) the metal trailer-port roof, and through the trailer might be a problem. Their wireless connection could be dandy for balloon frame house construction with a non-metal roof, but not so good for trailer parks.  (Do we have to mount on the roof, or could it be mast mounted, and "shoot" through a window?  That 9V battery changing is a bugger, though, sounds like "bucket truck" if we're up a light pole.)

      I confess, there are too many offerings on www.ambientweather.com for me to make sense out of, or compare intelligently in the time allotted. It isn't clear whether I'm looking at all-in-one solutions, or if not, what other pieces it takes to make a whole puzzle. (I did see one that was solar-powered, I'm sure there are others.)
      _____________
      Tom von Alten    http://fortboise.org/
      tva@...

      From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
      Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 00:17:14 -0700
      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] Re: labeling us "Boise Sailors Association"

      Hello Eddy,

      Check out this wireless weather station.  This way we won't have to run wires from the sensors (on the roof) to the interface box in the electrical house.  I know it's not industrial ($2000), but for the price, even if it lasts three years we are better off.

      Let me know what you think...

      http://www.ambientweather.com/orscwmprwest1.html

      -Jason
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
        Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station Phone line is provided by ACE...but I’d like to see the DSL and am willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and there is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5 months??? We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL yet but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to craigslist.  Anyone have a “Quest connection”?

        I think the Camera would be very helpful...although we would need to locate a windsock under a lamp post so the real early birds can get a visual.

        Eddy

        From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
        Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:37:29 -0600
        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station

        Hey Eddy,

        Rather than pay for a phone line ($19.00) and cheap dialup internet access ($10.00), what about spending the money on a standalone DSL account for $39.99.  We only need if for a few months per year.  Would probably be simpler this way unless ACE was going to pay for the phone line.

        -Brick

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
          Hello Eddy,

          If they are supplying the Qwest Phone line, then we may be in luck.  We can add DSL service for $14.95/month.  I also have a DSL modem I could donate too.  Not sure how well they will hold up in the heat, but if there is good air circulation we may be ok.  Get the phone number of the line from ACE and we can see if DSL is available for that number.  CROSS YOUR FINGERS.  This would be great!

          -Brick

          From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@ msn.com>
          Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:37:29 -0600
          To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
            > Phone line is provided by ACE...but I'd like to see the DSL and am
            > willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and there
            > is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5 months???
            > We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL yet
            > but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to
            > craigslist. Anyone have a "Quest connection"?
            >
            > I think the Camera would be very helpful...although we would need
            > to locate a windsock under a lamp post so the real early birds can
            > get a visual.

            Snapshot of a windsock more useful than a stream of measurement data?
            I don't get that.

            A photo of the LAKE, I can see--because it captures some time history.
            Even so, we've all experienced the vaguery of "interpretation" when we
            arrive and look at the lake. Are those more whitecaps, or is it just the
            lighting a little better?

            What we need is a camera on a wind dummy.

            Failing that, I don't see DSL as a good investment for this data
            acquisition system. If we've got a dedicated phoneline, that should
            provide plenty of BW for a datastream, without or without periodic
            images.
            _____________
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
              Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station Good question...

              Up at the Camas, very often the weather acquisition instrument is down; but the camera view of the windsock tells us if it is a go/no go.

              This happens very often...too often.

              Eddy

              From: Kiter - Tom von Alten <tva@...>
              Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:53:46 -0600
              To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

              tva@... <mailto:tva%40fortboise.org>

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
                I agree that Dialup has plenty of bandwidth.  I'm just concerned with the dialing, connecting, hanging up, dialing, connecting, hanging up.... etc.  I don't want to be the one that has to go up there every other day and reboot or reset things.  My Qwest DSL modem is usually up for months at a time without any user intervention.  It's been a while since my old BBS and Dialup days, but if you think dialup would work and be reliable, I'm willing to give it a try.

                -Brick

                > Phone line is provided by ACE...but I'd like to see the DSL and

                am
                > willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and
                there
                > is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5
                months???
                > We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL
                yet
                > but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to

                craigslist. Anyone have a "Quest connection"?

                > I think the Camera
                would be very helpful...although we would need
                > to locate a windsock
                under a lamp post so the real early birds can
                > get a
                visual.

                Snapshot of a windsock more useful than a stream of measurement data?
                I don't get that.

                A photo of the LAKE, I can see--because it captures some time history.
                Even so, we've all experienced the vaguery of "interpretation" when we
                arrive and look at the lake. Are those more whitecaps, or is it just the
                lighting a little better?

                What we need is a camera on a wind dummy.

                Failing that, I don't see DSL as a good investment for this data
                acquisition system. If we've got a dedicated phoneline, that should
                provide plenty of BW for a datastream, without or without periodic
                images.
                ____________ _
                Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org/
                tva@fortboise. org

              • Whitney Rearick
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 24, 2009
                    Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station That would be great but I seriously doubt they are running up to the RV hut.

                    If I’m wrong that get Brad to work...;-)

                    From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
                    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                    Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org/ <http://fortboise.org/>
                    tva@fortboise. org <mailto:tva%40fortboise.org>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station I have not expressed my time frame directly to Jim but will call ACE again today.

                      Yellowstone to Glacier NP to Vancouver BC and where ever for HM. Might bring Kites for return thru Gorge.

                      CF LW boards are the same this year, different graphics proven design. I have the 145x48 and Laura has the 135x46. I like Laura’s board a lot, but can definitely use the bigger one in even lighter winds. Next time we are up there you can try either one.

                      From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
                      Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:38:03 -0600
                      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                      Hey Eddy... I agree.  This morning would have been a good test.  The wind was ripping from the SE last night when I drove by the diversion dam.  Too bad for the rain and clouds.  I would love to have seen the numbers at the trailer this morning.

                      Does Jim know about the time constraint we are under?

                      Are you going some place kiteable for the HM?  What does CF have for light wind boards?  The more I think about my board, the more I think it has too much rocker for the light winds at LP.

                      -JBrick

                      From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@...>
                      Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Tuesday session

                      Any word on the phone line ?

                      From: Eddy Petranek <geardaddyllc@...>
                      Date:   Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:06:08 -0000
                      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject:   [snowkiteidaho] Tuesday   session

                      If it  is not  raining tomorrow might be a possibility at LP. I'll go regardless  of cloud  cover tomorrow just cause of a   hunch.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                        Jason

                        Do u want your old desk top pc? I'll send it to Arc if not.

                        Sent from
                        Eddy Petranek

                        From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                        Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                        Any word on the phone line ?

                        Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                        From: Eddy Petranek <geardaddyllc@ gmail.com>
                        Date:  Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:06:08 -0000
                        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                        If it is not  raining tomorrow might be a possibility at LP. I'll go regardless of cloud  cover tomorrow just cause of a  hunch.

                        Eddy

                        Yahoo! Finance

                        It's Now Personal

                        Guides, news,

                        advice & more.

                        Yahoo! Groups

                        Auto Enthusiast Zone

                        Passionate about cars?

                        Check out the Auto Enthusiast Zone.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Hey Eddy,

                          I'll take it back.  When is a good time to stop by and collect it?

                          -JBrick

                          From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                          Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                          To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                          Any word on the phone line ?

                          Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Anytime. Maybe I can bring it over and test dialup.

                            Sent from
                            Eddy Petranek

                            From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                            Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                            To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                            Any word on the phone line ?

                            Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                              Can you guys tell me which weather station you put in at Lucky Peak?
                              we want to replace the windline we have at Magic Res with an internet based one.
                              Thanks
                              Chris
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                                Chris.

                                I have the info at home.  I'll get it to you when I return from LB

                                Sent from
                                Eddy Petranek

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                                  Nice kiting there. My bro has a place there, one block from the water
                                  Like to be there now
                                  Chris
                                • idahokiteboard