Weather Station

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
      Weather Station Jason,

      Weather station items with order of importance:

      1: Internet Connectivity
      2: Wind Speed
      3: Wind Gust in last hour (or maybe the Range)
      3: Temperature
      4: Pressure (it would be nice if we had a pressure diff b/n LPRAWS unit and ours)
      5: Wind Direction (not terribly important except that it will indicate if the winds are going to be gusty from South)
      6: weather Camera  (to be added later, but it does not appear that the stations do the transmission???)

      Wireless is great, Except that means it will need an external power source.  Mine runs a on a 9v battery that has last 2.5 years. So as long as we have access to the battery port that is an easy fix. Wireless question, “ Does the wireless signal go thru cinder blocks???”

      Wireless Range All wireless transmission ranges are specified "line of sight", unless otherwise stated. Standard construction walls can reduce the transmission distance by as much as 50%.
      Metal Enclosures Metal enclosures (trailers), aluminum siding, reflective insulation materials, water (rain), reflective window treatments, and radio interference can greatly degrade the wireless transmission signal.
      Transmitting through Earth and Ground Never install your wireless weather station at an elevation below the console (such as down a hill), unless there is line of sight between the weather station and the console. The weather station will not transmit through ground or earth.

      I prefer wireless therefore I don’t have to dig a trench for conduit. I think the roof or eave on the building is wood but do not remember for sure

      I believe we are better off with cheaper unit that we plan on replacing if it does not last long. Plus at the prices we are looking at if 20-25 people donate $15  we should be covered!!! If we collect more we can opt for the higher end station.

      Do you still have the Computer to donate? Can we automate the computer to shut ON/OFF at 4am-12pm (this will eliminate the problems of mid day heat.) What would we need for cheap separate camera to work?

      Thanks for your help,
      Eddy ... BSA

      From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
      Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 00:17:14 -0700
      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] Re: labeling us "Boise Sailors Association"

      Hello Eddy,

      Check out this wireless weather station.  This way we won't have to run wires from the sensors (on the roof) to the interface box in the electrical house.  I know it's not industrial ($2000), but for the price, even if it lasts three years we are better off.

      Let me know what you think...

      http://www.ambientweather.com/orscwmprwest1.html

      -Jason

      From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
      Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:23:12 -0800 (PST)
      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

      I do love the idea of belonging to the BS Association (heck, I work at BS University!), but  if it stands for "Boise Sailors Association," well, that's just confusing.  Sounds like sailboats to me.  Since we're just starting out, why not pick a less confusing name?  Boise Kitesports Group?  BADASS sounded great, too, and I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas out there.

      From:
      Jack Harrison <hyqual@...>
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
        Weather Station
        Looks like a nice offering from Oregon Scientific, which is a brand that I trust, even though I haven't had any recent experience with them. (Ah, the power of branding.)  It is an "own backyard" sort of offering, which implies a certain high tolerance for futzing?

        Eddy's item #4 regarding delta-P to LPRAWS is interesting. I wonder what sort of difference is typical, and how it compares to the instruments' accuracy and precision?

        Sounds like we'd want some way to test the wireless connection in the (or a similar) situation. If "metal enclosures can greatly degrade the signal," going through (around?) the metal trailer-port roof, and through the trailer might be a problem. Their wireless connection could be dandy for balloon frame house construction with a non-metal roof, but not so good for trailer parks.  (Do we have to mount on the roof, or could it be mast mounted, and "shoot" through a window?  That 9V battery changing is a bugger, though, sounds like "bucket truck" if we're up a light pole.)

        I confess, there are too many offerings on www.ambientweather.com for me to make sense out of, or compare intelligently in the time allotted. It isn't clear whether I'm looking at all-in-one solutions, or if not, what other pieces it takes to make a whole puzzle. (I did see one that was solar-powered, I'm sure there are others.)
        _____________
        Tom von Alten    http://fortboise.org/
        tva@...

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
          Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station Phone line is provided by ACE...but I’d like to see the DSL and am willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and there is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5 months??? We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL yet but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to craigslist.  Anyone have a “Quest connection”?

          I think the Camera would be very helpful...although we would need to locate a windsock under a lamp post so the real early birds can get a visual.

          Eddy

          From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
          Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:37:29 -0600
          To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station

          Hey Eddy,

          Rather than pay for a phone line ($19.00) and cheap dialup internet access ($10.00), what about spending the money on a standalone DSL account for $39.99.  We only need if for a few months per year.  Would probably be simpler this way unless ACE was going to pay for the phone line.

          -Brick

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
            Hello Eddy,

            If they are supplying the Qwest Phone line, then we may be in luck.  We can add DSL service for $14.95/month.  I also have a DSL modem I could donate too.  Not sure how well they will hold up in the heat, but if there is good air circulation we may be ok.  Get the phone number of the line from ACE and we can see if DSL is available for that number.  CROSS YOUR FINGERS.  This would be great!

            -Brick

            From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@ msn.com>
            Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:37:29 -0600
            To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

            Hey Eddy,

            Rather than pay for a phone line ($19.00) and cheap dialup internet access ($10.00), what about spending the money on a standalone DSL account for $39.99.  We only need if for a few months per year.  Would probably be simpler this way unless ACE was going to pay for the phone line.

            -Brick

            Westy's in! The earlier the better! jivin' with a new kite,  priceless.

            Tomorrow looks awesome!  Hoping to play hooking in  the afternoon.  Might be able to boogey as early as 12:30.

          • Tom von Alten
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
              > Phone line is provided by ACE...but I'd like to see the DSL and am
              > willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and there
              > is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5 months???
              > We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL yet
              > but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to
              > craigslist. Anyone have a "Quest connection"?
              >
              > I think the Camera would be very helpful...although we would need
              > to locate a windsock under a lamp post so the real early birds can
              > get a visual.

              Snapshot of a windsock more useful than a stream of measurement data?
              I don't get that.

              A photo of the LAKE, I can see--because it captures some time history.
              Even so, we've all experienced the vaguery of "interpretation" when we
              arrive and look at the lake. Are those more whitecaps, or is it just the
              lighting a little better?

              What we need is a camera on a wind dummy.

              Failing that, I don't see DSL as a good investment for this data
              acquisition system. If we've got a dedicated phoneline, that should
              provide plenty of BW for a datastream, without or without periodic
              images.
              _____________
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
                Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station Good question...

                Up at the Camas, very often the weather acquisition instrument is down; but the camera view of the windsock tells us if it is a go/no go.

                This happens very often...too often.

                Eddy

                From: Kiter - Tom von Alten <tva@...>
                Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:53:46 -0600
                To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                tva@... <mailto:tva%40fortboise.org>

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009
                  I agree that Dialup has plenty of bandwidth.  I'm just concerned with the dialing, connecting, hanging up, dialing, connecting, hanging up.... etc.  I don't want to be the one that has to go up there every other day and reboot or reset things.  My Qwest DSL modem is usually up for months at a time without any user intervention.  It's been a while since my old BBS and Dialup days, but if you think dialup would work and be reliable, I'm willing to give it a try.

                  -Brick

                  > Phone line is provided by ACE...but I'd like to see the DSL and

                  am
                  > willing to help pay for it. I thought I checked into it and
                  there
                  > is a minimum 1 yr contract, yet we only need it for <5
                  months???
                  > We do not have enough pledges at $20 to cover additional DSL
                  yet
                  > but we are close I do have a spare DSL modem I was going to

                  craigslist. Anyone have a "Quest connection"?

                  > I think the Camera
                  would be very helpful...although we would need
                  > to locate a windsock
                  under a lamp post so the real early birds can
                  > get a
                  visual.

                  Snapshot of a windsock more useful than a stream of measurement data?
                  I don't get that.

                  A photo of the LAKE, I can see--because it captures some time history.
                  Even so, we've all experienced the vaguery of "interpretation" when we
                  arrive and look at the lake. Are those more whitecaps, or is it just the
                  lighting a little better?

                  What we need is a camera on a wind dummy.

                  Failing that, I don't see DSL as a good investment for this data
                  acquisition system. If we've got a dedicated phoneline, that should
                  provide plenty of BW for a datastream, without or without periodic
                  images.
                  ____________ _
                  Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org/
                  tva@fortboise. org

                • Whitney Rearick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 23, 2009

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 24, 2009
                      Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station That would be great but I seriously doubt they are running up to the RV hut.

                      If I’m wrong that get Brad to work...;-)

                      From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
                      Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
                      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                      Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org/ <http://fortboise.org/>
                      tva@fortboise. org <mailto:tva%40fortboise.org>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                        Re: [snowkiteidaho] Weather Station I have not expressed my time frame directly to Jim but will call ACE again today.

                        Yellowstone to Glacier NP to Vancouver BC and where ever for HM. Might bring Kites for return thru Gorge.

                        CF LW boards are the same this year, different graphics proven design. I have the 145x48 and Laura has the 135x46. I like Laura’s board a lot, but can definitely use the bigger one in even lighter winds. Next time we are up there you can try either one.

                        From: Kiter - Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...>
                        Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:38:03 -0600
                        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>

                        Hey Eddy... I agree.  This morning would have been a good test.  The wind was ripping from the SE last night when I drove by the diversion dam.  Too bad for the rain and clouds.  I would love to have seen the numbers at the trailer this morning.

                        Does Jim know about the time constraint we are under?

                        Are you going some place kiteable for the HM?  What does CF have for light wind boards?  The more I think about my board, the more I think it has too much rocker for the light winds at LP.

                        -JBrick

                        From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@...>
                        Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Tuesday session

                        Any word on the phone line ?

                        From: Eddy Petranek <geardaddyllc@...>
                        Date:   Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:06:08 -0000
                        To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject:   [snowkiteidaho] Tuesday   session

                        If it  is not  raining tomorrow might be a possibility at LP. I'll go regardless  of cloud  cover tomorrow just cause of a   hunch.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Jason

                          Do u want your old desk top pc? I'll send it to Arc if not.

                          Sent from
                          Eddy Petranek

                          From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                          Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                          To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                          Any word on the phone line ?

                          Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                          From: Eddy Petranek <geardaddyllc@ gmail.com>
                          Date:  Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:06:08 -0000
                          To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                          If it is not  raining tomorrow might be a possibility at LP. I'll go regardless of cloud  cover tomorrow just cause of a  hunch.

                          Eddy

                          Yahoo! Finance

                          It's Now Personal

                          Guides, news,

                          advice & more.

                          Yahoo! Groups

                          Auto Enthusiast Zone

                          Passionate about cars?

                          Check out the Auto Enthusiast Zone.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Hey Eddy,

                            I'll take it back.  When is a good time to stop by and collect it?

                            -JBrick

                            From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                            Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                            To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                            Any word on the phone line ?

                            Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 2, 2009
                              Anytime. Maybe I can bring it over and test dialup.

                              Sent from
                              Eddy Petranek

                              From: Kiter - Steve & Kris Linane <stevelinane@ clearwire. net>
                              Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:45:59 -0600
                              To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>

                              Any word on the phone line ?

                              Forecast has changed a little so  tomorrow looks promising

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                                Can you guys tell me which weather station you put in at Lucky Peak?
                                we want to replace the windline we have at Magic Res with an internet based one.
                                Thanks
                                Chris
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                                  Chris.

                                  I have the info at home.  I'll get it to you when I return from LB

                                  Sent from
                                  Eddy Petranek

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 2, 2010
                                    Nice kiting there. My bro has a place there, one block from the water
                                    Like to be there now
                                    Chris
                                  • idahokiteboard