snow kites

  • Kay Walst6on
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hey Guys,
      Scott and I are searching snow kites.  Currently we have a 4m foil, 7 and 9 bowkites....will the bowkites suffice or do we need to get a 5 or 7m foil?
      Thanks for your help.
      Kay and Scott

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        Re: [snowkiteidaho] snow kites K/S,
        -
        LEI kites will work, and when flying work Great maybe better?  They are just not as user/beginner friendly as the depower-able foils. For example you will need assistance launching and landing just like at the beach.  So in other words you need a willing “Kite B!^@#” that will trudge thru snow. On the snow generally LEI kites don’t always stay still, They drift and slide much more, and you can not stop flying them as easily as a foil (which you just land anywhere).  Another major advantage to a foil is that you don’t have to pump up a foil, although pumping up definitely warms you up before you start your cold adventure.

        Generally, the Camas delivers winds that are 8-16mph. Occasionally we get bigger days. But we do get a lot of days that it is hard to get your kite off the ground. Nothing is more painful than watching a LEI stuck on the ground when a foil is working. Most of us usually try to go by and help flip downed LEI’s but sometimes it is just to hard to get to a kite that falls behind a hill or in a gully, or if you are so far out that no one knows where you are. Side note: Nothing is more warming than “post holing” out to a downed kite. As a matter of fact, any time I get cold, I stop put my kite on the ground. Take ski/board off and try to hike to my kite and back just to warm up....Always works, especially in powder!  ;-)

        Most foils used, are of the ozone frenzy variety, typically 10-15m with depower (a must just like the water). I’m not sure what 5/7m kites your looking at, but all “that kind of work” are copies of  the Frenzy. Some did an ok job but none are dead on. Many are total garbage.  Look at the scene and see which kites are most popular and that will tell you which are the better.  Also the size kite you use depends if you ski/snowboard and if you want to jump/cruise.

        Cold air is denser than warm air so you get a bit more pull out of winter winds, but then again we have to go to a higher elevation & winter winds are generally lighter. The Camas looks like it should be a sick windy place, but more often than not it is very mellow.

        Just my 2 cents...if you want to try a depower foil, give me a shout.
        Eddy

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 10, 2008
          My two cents, is that if you own SLE kites and know how to fly and relaunch them, then there is no need for buying foil kites. when a foil kite over shoots the wind window they often bow tie/twist themselves into a knot or invert. To a begginner looking at a foil kite that is crumpled up on the ground with dozens of bridle lines all twisted up is a frustrating mess. also try self landing a foil kite in high winds, they just keep pulling because half the canopy is still tensioned.  i think that If you are going to fly foils then Ozone makes the best handling kite, but after owning and using them i much prefer SLE's to Foils. Saying that Foils are more begginner friendly then SLE kites is an opinion only.

          Ryan

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.
        • Kay Walst6on
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 10, 2008
            thanks Ryan!  I like the hear all angles!

            To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com