Re: Tuesday Lake Lull...

  • Chrizzo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11 8:31 AM
      We were in fact shredding the Gnar. The Snake Gnar to be exact.
      Ryan, J Mack and me Chrizzo went to bruneau and to our surprise it
      was absolutely hugemongous. Probably some of the biggest winds ive
      seen in Idaho. I was Litsky on my 3/4 depowered 9 and Ryan was
      holding down the 10.5. It was truly like Hood River except the waves
      werent as big, and yes Hood is gusty too. Even has the slow current
      that keeps you upwind. Just pull down and your lofted with several
      upward surges. Pulled the most powered kite loop EVER,stuck it, and
      generally kited till the sun went down around 8:30 and it was still
      going strong. Got there around 6-630.After coming back from a coast
      trip kiting 3 beautiful days in 3 beautiful locations i just couldnt
      take the chance that Lake Lull would deny the goods.
      Temp was nice, water was brown but it tasted allright..

      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Bolt" <idakiteman@...>
      wrote:

      > Steve Linane and I arrived about 1PM expecting it to build thru the
      PM as
      > forecast said. First gear pack trip to the beach (water is
      actually coming
      > back up & beach is closer) I sampled w/ windmeter: 10-15, gusts
      slightly
      > higher, pretty steady never dropping to single digits and felt
      consistent
      > walking out and back. Small sparse whitecaps looking perpendicular
      to wind
      > across the water, lots of small whitecaps upwind. Setup big kites:
      Steve on
      > 14 Contra & big board, me on 16 PL (flies like 14 inflatable) on
      small
      > board. Lucky us...just as we launched and entered the water the
      wind came
      > up good...you could see it in the whitecaps and feel it...also
      > nicely steady...not so gusty or holy. Plenty big air and power to
      get good
      > height backrolls whenever you wanted w/o sending kite. Terrific!!
      Probably
      > like that for 30-45 minutes or so. I thought I might go in and get
      my 13 at
      > one point. Then it eased back and I was hunting for wind pockets
      among the
      > lulls....but Steve cruising fine on the contra & big lumber. Tom
      Caviani
      > showed up after about an hour, on his skypirate directional and
      12m? Naish
      > C. Rest of afternoon it never really built beyond what we
      experienced in
      > the first 45 minutes...it would surge back up to around that level
      for a few
      > minutes (sometimes a very few), then backoff for several minutes, &
      repeat
      > that cycle. Never really built up like the forecasts that
      indicated peaking
      > around 6PM and 12m stuff. Based on Bruce Robb's report on CJ, I'd
      say LL
      > got 25-30% less wind velocity than CJ. Came off the water about
      5:15PM. I
      > was on the water continuously that entire time. In addition to
      doing some
      > major airtime, Steve got his backrolls down...he sends the kite
      back to get
      > height so he made them look easy even in the real light stuff !!!
      > All-in-all a good fun session...except for a pounding case of LAKE
      LULL NOSE
      > this morning.
      >
      > Jon

    • Ryan Wait
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11 11:17 AM
        Chrizzo said!!! The Snake went off last night. Mtn home wind sensors were close, but i am almost positive that i felt 40+ gusts. because i was 90% depowered and still getting 25+ ft of air with almost zero board speed. its time for a 3/2mm wet suit now. that water was chilli.

        Steve, Jon. i was working near the Lake Lull and figured i would check it out, but after riding 3 days of 25 knots on the coast, i didnt feel like a light wind session. so i rallied the boys and headed to the snake. it was the right choice. the Snake had good surf swell rolling through too.

        Cheers,
        Ryan

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: philprealestate@...
        Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:31:39 +0000
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Tuesday Lake Lull...

        wrote:

        > Steve Linane and I arrived about 1PM expecting it to build thru the
        PM as
        > forecast said. First gear pack trip to the beach (water is
        actually coming
        > back up & beach is closer) I sampled w/ windmeter: 10-15, gusts
        slightly
        > higher, pretty steady never dropping to single digits and felt
        consistent
        > walking out and back. Small sparse whitecaps looking perpendicular
        to wind
        > across the water, lots of small whitecaps upwind. Setup big kites:
        Steve on
        > 14 Contra & big board, me on 16 PL (flies like 14 inflatable) on
        small
        > board. Lucky us...just as we launched and entered the water the
        wind came
        > up good...you could see it in the whitecaps and feel it...also
        > nicely steady...not so gusty or holy. Plenty big air and power to
        get good
        > height backrolls whenever you wanted w/o sending kite. Terrific!!
        Probably
        > like that for 30-45 minutes or so. I thought I might go in and get
        my 13 at
        > one point. Then it eased back and I was hunting for wind pockets
        among the
        > lulls....but Steve cruising fine on the contra & big lumber. Tom
        Caviani
        > showed up after about an hour, on his skypirate directional and
        12m? Naish
        > C. Rest of afternoon it never really built beyond what we
        experienced in
        > the first 45 minutes...it would surge back up to around that level
        for a few
        > minutes (sometimes a very few), then backoff for several minutes, &
        repeat
        > that cycle. Never really built up like the forecasts that
        indicated peaking
        > around 6PM and 12m stuff. Based on Bruce Robb's report on CJ, I'd
        say LL
        > got 25-30% less wind velocity than CJ. Came off the water about
        5:15PM. I
        > was on the water continuously that entire time. In addition to
        doing some
        > major airtime, Steve got his backrolls down...he sends the kite
        back to get
        > height so he made them look easy even in the real light stuff !!!
        > All-in-all a good fun session...except for a pounding case of LAKE
        LULL NOSE
        > this morning.
        >
        > Jon

      • solarcyclops
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11 3:16 PM
          (water is actually coming back up & beach is closer)

          Yikes, you gotta wonder what it's coming up with...irrigation runoff?

          Nasto, I'll take my chances in the dirty brown-frown Snake any day.
          Sick session with decent video to boot, note to self--tune kite
          properly before flying on a 30+ litski day!

          J_Mac
        • Chris Philp
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11 3:34 PM
            I guess Ryan gave you the WHATS UP out there.  He means well.  That looked sketch ball when your kite looked like it wanted to tear in half.
            That vid you sent looks fuckin awsome, thanks for sending it my way.  It beats Ryans little camera, video and that was a good day too.
            Yeah the runoff from the New York canal dumps into Lull.  shouldnt be too bad beings that the canal is higher than the fields it irrigates, right?  ALthough when that shit sits thats when all the funk starts its evolution.
            Thanks for the wideo bro.

            Chris Philp, ABR, GRI
            Prudential Jensen Real Estate
            (208) 371-7071
            Thanks for your referrals
            Access to homes and property on IDAHOS MLS!
            "Click it, don't risk it"!.......