kiting with the sand people on tattoween

  • Ryan Wait
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2008
      So when we got to Cj it was blowing like 16 mph, we had a feeling that is was going to pick up a bit. then it became very clear(or lack there of) that it was going to do more than that. looking up at the sky you could see a wall of dust stretching from the boise mtns to the owyhees and at least 2000ft high. all at once you could no longer see the bluff to the NW and within 15 secs the dam was gone. before we could even react it hit. visibility was reduced to 200 ft. i had to use two kite bags and some rocks to hold my kite down. within minutes there were waves crashing up and over the banks. we hid in the car for an hour and watched. around 8 pm the dust had cleared enough to see the other side of CJ. like a 14 yr old within inches of 3rd base, i hastly made the move to launch. Todd held onto my harness and chris launched me on a 9m. as i headed away from shore holding down 8 meters to much i quickly realized my error in choices. i figure that my lines were going to snap, i have never felt that much pressure.i got 6-7 tacks i think. it is hard to remember things when your boys are in your throat and your heart is doing the indie 500 in your chest. i was able to safely get the kite back on the ground after maybe 10 minutes of kiting. my guess was high 30's but i am thinking i was a bit off. here are the numbers from mtn home at that time. opps!

      Cheers,
      Ryan

                  W G

      19:55

      4658NNWOK
      19:434358NNWOK
      19:334553NNW

      Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!