RE: [snowkiteidaho] Fay kiter

  • Ryan Wait
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
      i was not lofted, nor was it invisible. i was taken out by a water devil at IRC. it was a very crappy on and off day 9-40mph. eddy had just gone in and i was out alone. i was tacking up wind really powered up when all of the sudden my kite shot 30 feet up wind then started twisting back over my head. that is when i looked up wind to see a 15ft tall water devil coming straight at me. i instantly released the kite onto the single line release.  just as the devil hit me my kite slammed into the water. luckily! i figure that it was rotating around 45-50mph. if i would have tried to hang on i would have been 30+ ft up stuck in a rotating mass of air. scared the crap out of me and so i swam in, and called it a day.

      RTW

      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      From: jasonbrickner@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:41:46 -0600
      Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] Fay kiter

      In the spring, when we're out at Indian Creek or RCR, sometimes I wonder if we get hit with dust devils.  You know those times when your kite feels like it gets punched and then a minute later you can't keep it up.  Besides that time Eddy got the 30+ foot triple pump elevator ride jump, has anyone been lofted by one of these invisible 'dust devils'.  I heard the Fay kiter got hit by a developing water spout.

      -Jason

      From: tva@fortboise. org
      Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:23:08 -0600

      I thought the text of the story was kind of jolly too, but then on the BSA
      list, somebody posted a link to the news story with video:

      http://www.miamiher ald.com/466/ story/648099. html

      Major unhappiness for the guy, yanked into a building.  What's
      this talk about emergency releasing harnesses?  He apparently
      had one, but didn't pull the ripcord.
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org/
      tva@fortboise. org

      On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Kay Walst6on <kaywalston@yahoo. com> wrote:
      haha...we're going to Corpus in 2 weeks in the middle of Hurricane season...maybe we'll have a Hurricane wind to kite by!...and then maybe I'll finally get up and STAY up!
      Kay

      Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How

      See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts. Check It Out!