Unlikely Kite Site, but it Worked

  • solarcyclops
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2008
      So by happenstance Chris & I among friends were at Arrowrock res
      yesterday when the wind started building NW early in the day. As it it
      continued to pick up we decided 'why not?'

      Sure enough it delivered with mildly gusty 12-20mph winds capping the
      lake steadily. I got out first, but thanks to a blowout on my LE I came
      back in. Chris got in over an hour of riding and boosting in perfectly
      warm (75 degree) water. It was an awesome site, with JetSki's cruising
      around giving Chris 15 foot toe-up's to board offs. Sick day in a super
      unlikely place to kite!

      Next time you're camping or fishing near a lake have your kite gear on
      hand, 'cause in this crazy state you never know where the wind's gonna
      blow.

      Onto the next kitesaster.....

      J.Mac
    • Mark Westerdoll
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2008
        I mentioned Arrowrock to Eddie earlier this year, I have seen the same afternoon conditions. This weekend I was sitting on the shore of Anderson Ranch with a broken boat and no kites for two days. Winds were perfect of course! Whitecaps all afternoon with a perfect crosswind. I'll Never leave home without my kites again!
        Westy

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2008

          Mark,

          Where would be best to launch at Anderson?

          What way was the wind blowing?

          I am going over there for the weekend in two weeks and was curious about kiting while I was there if there was any wind.

          To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2008

            Tony, The best Kiting area is the Pine side of the lake, just before the Deer Creek(?) lodge. Google Earth shows Skelton Gulch in the general vicinity. There is a campground and boat launch area that has a ton of good beach right below the highway. The wind is best there, comes from the Dam side of the reservoir and blows side on in the afternoons. Everytime I've been to Anderson on a normal Summer day the wind has been pretty good there, I'd guess 15mph+, never extreme, but definitly kiteable, we always have our chairs blow over, etc..  Bring your lightest wind gear for sure.  There are always campers on the beach but you won't have any trouble finding room. I've been camping all over the lake and the wind is more gusty closer to the dam without any launches. I tried to kite last month near the dam and Fall Creek out of a boat, but it wasn't practicle.
            Westy

            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

            To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com