Re: [snowkiteidaho] DANSKIN MTN Re: [ParaglideIdaho] Summer flying is here.....

  • Greg Schutte
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2008
      SWEET!!!!!!!!

      --- On Mon, 6/23/08, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:
      From: Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...>
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] DANSKIN MTN Re: [ParaglideIdaho] Summer flying is here.....
      To: "ParaglideIdaho" <ParaglideIdaho@yahoogroups.com>, "Snowkiteidaho" <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>, boiseSailors@..., "Jeff-Prokitesurf" <info@...>
      Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 10:55 PM

      Danskin was a great day.

      "Texas" Jeff and I took on Danskin this afternoon with our Paragliders, It was the first time for both of us and I think we did it right. Based on the awesome recommendations of Mark and the great driving directions from Greg. We launched the site a little after 5 pm. The air was very inverted but the therms we coming up smoothly.

      We both were nervous mainly because everything looked so good. Jeff went of first and in my rush to keep up with him I neglected to hook up my speed system. I realized right after launch that I screwed up.  I was thinking of heading down to land but I had plenty of penetration and felt good so figure I'd just ride it out.  Took a few minutes to find the first therm and up up and away. Jeff followed went a little further back and found 800 a min so I chased back under him. I was getting punched around a little to much so decide to go on glide to valley At about 9000' jeff hit 10,000+ after a long glide with some 900+ down I finally had plenty of room after hit a couple small pockets of lift to make it to valley floor (~5 miles). I was supper stoked to make it to what we planned to be our target LZ. I was setting up trying to get a little further so that Jeff could not out fly me and claim victory again. As I crossed about 200 over power lines I felt a little hit. and followed 100 up and it turned in to 200, 300, 400, 500, 800 next thin I know Im at 8500 and ready to go on glide again. So I headed East.

      Watching Jeff coming in behind and starting to get low I lost him in the haze. I got 2 more big lifts back up to 8000 and kept going. I followed the Foothills road and thinking I would land at the Pilot Station and was 2000 over Mtn Home Resvr. I found some smooth air so I got to go hands off and get my speed system hooked up, which I used at landing. Still with plenty of elevation I kept going.  Not wanting to piss off my Girlfriend I landed at exit 99 for a 22.5 mile flight "as the crow flies", plus I was happy about not hiking out.  If I add in my turn at my initial goal it makes it a 25+mile XC, My personal best.  Jeff ended up at over 10.6 miles, If he would have gone with me and caught the same thermal I did we both would have kept going even farther.

      I'm ready to do that again. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I'm tired!!!

      Big thanks to my Girl For Driving, I owe her big time,
      Eddy

      On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Charlie/Chuck wrote:

      Hey all.....sounds like Pickle has been workin' out great
      lately.....Mark! Rockin' good news! What was that, over a 100 miles
      That's one of the finest flights in the state. Congrats!

      Eddy, would have been nice to see ya this weekend, but ya made a
      good call not coming up here to Sun Valley.....Saturday morning was
      just OK, and Sunday was blown out. Friday evening was epic though,
      topping out at about 12,000ft at around 8:00pm. A nice way to watch
      the sun go down. This morning was lovely flying as well.

      So, be great to see some of you come on up for a visit to Sun Valley
      this summer. We are currently driving up to launch on Baldy each
      morning. The lifts start operation for the summer this Saturday and
      will run until Labor Day. Of course we will still drive to launch in
      the evenings, with space available for pilots in the Suburban when
      possible.

      A safe and successful flying season to you all,

      Chuck@
      Fly Sun Valley

      Gear Daddy LLC
      (208) 863-6966