Re: [snowkiteidaho] RCR went off with a vengence

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
      RCR ... for those that do not know.  Is something special. For some reason there is a wind flow that exists there that does not exist else where. There is major proof b/c someone invested in a major wind farm just across the street (+$10 milllion)  There are ~20  of the big wind mills that have been placed just downwind  of RCR.  They have not been turned on yet, but look close to ready.  I think it has to do with some sort of Katabatic flow down the canyons. But anyway I like to set up near the downwind side b/c I like the access better and think the wind maybe a little smother. I have launched on the upwind side and have had my ass handed to me. It is definitely worth the extra 15 mins from the MHR. To get there goto Exit 99?Oregon Trail (Actually Bennett Mtn Rd.) Go North 3 miles Wind Farm on Right Resr on Left look for levee/dam that is 20 feet tall. There is a barb wire gate make sure you put it back  up if that is how it was when getting there. drive to top of levee go left for downwind launch and Right for upwind launch.

      MTN HOME RESR is the gustiest place I have ever played, and don't really care for it. But that is just me!

      Eddy

      ACE, I think is blowing us off, or they are still just swamped.  I will call again Monday but this is like the 10th time since I handed in the paper work. I saw Keith at Ironman and he was saying something about us having to pay additional fees to lease the site????  Will let you know as soon as I  know.

      On Jun 8, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Jason Brickner wrote:

      For the few remaining spring 'westerly' events... would you suggest RCR or MHR.  Guess I'm wondering why you chose RCR over MHR yesterday.  Was it because you needed to move further west for better wind?

      Sounds like a fun day yesterday.

      P.S.  Eddy, any word back from ACE on the wind station at LP?

      -Jason

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
        Jason
        Eddy is right MHR is gusty but not always , I would say about haft of the time its about like CJ and it can be about like LP . But I would not write it off you can ride rite behind the dam and the water is like GLASS . You will not find butter smooth water like that except at the Bruneau Bridge . also in regards to RCR I don't believe it depends of frontal driven winds . my guess its Blowing rite now Sunday 1:00 nw 10 G 23 in Mt H. and out at RCR its doing better then that , and this happens all the time