RE: [snowkiteidaho] FW: [BSA] ACE Meeting at LP

  • Eddy @ Gear Daddy LLC
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2008

      Thanks too all pledge’s so far

      At this point I’ve gotten back ½ dozen emails and we are half way there. Might be extra funds to put a camera in too!

      Keep the pledges coming!!!!  If we get more than enough we will round down to the lowest pledge requirements to get everyone fairly even.

      Thanks Again

      From: geardaddyllc@ gmail.com
      Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 14:23:08 -0600
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] FW: [BSA] ACE Meeting at LP

      Water Wind Sports has definitely started!!!

      I had a great meeting with A.C.E. yesterday and they really like us a ton, by far we are their favorite user group. I met with Joyce, Keith, and Mike to discuss the future plans at Barclay Bay Beach (BBB). Keith will be taking over the majority of Joyce’s day-to-day trivial duties, but she still wants to be involved in the things that help us.  Mike is a new Ranger and has attempted kiteboarding in his past and seems eager to try it again at LP.  It’s awesome to have a fellow wind enthusiast in this situation.

      A.C.E is still working on BBB as a major attraction for ADA (Amer. w/ Disabilities) members. This summer the first project is to pave the area under the middle shelter and place a side walk from shelter to Restroom. Eventually there is a plan to make a driveway and parking area down to that shelter. We discussed many the different possibilities and potential problems. They are completely open to ideas and suggestions, but there will be a need to bring vehicle close to that shelter. This is a next year project at soonest.

      Beach Clean up:  Well the beach looked good but it does have a massive amount of weed growth.  I’d like to organize a clean up or we can do it independently… There is some fresh sand and pea gravel that could be spread as needed; unless I’m told otherwise by next week.  Anyone interested in meeting this weekend for weed pulling? I think we will have to wait a little on the sand /gravel move. I’m out of town the next weekend so I can not participate then.

      Wind Meter:  We have tentative permission to place a wind meter on the RV shelter and use phone line and building to house CPU. Jason Brickner has found some quality equipment that is going to run ~$750-1000 to do what we want. Unless someone wants to write in for a grant, which I could imagine taking years to process, we as a group will have to finance the purchase of equipment. Any equipment placed there will have to be available to general public, so we would have to pay for boaters and anyone else who would like to use this service. It has to be free in the end, and ACE will put up the phone service. I think that even with the small group that we have, we would only have to donate $25-50 per person and we could have it completely paid for. (Think of the GAS you would SAVE!!!!) I will even offer to double the highest donation if needed (up to $100).  So please make a pledge that we as the group can count on. I’m not sure how we can do this privately, but for right now if you are willing to go in the range I mentioned above drop me an email and I’ll start to add up our pledges to make sure we are in the Black. I don’t know exactly who in our group is acting as a treasurer, if we have or need one, but this is an easy deal if we get more than we need we will work it out some how….  Jason is writing up a memo of intention for ACE and once they give us the green light and if funds are available we will go forward on the wind meter purchase and install. I was hoping we could get the information transferred to the T.V. weather site.

      Anyway looking forward to my first session at LP, I’ve had 2 at ICR, maybe a 3rd today.  Has anyone hit LP yet?

      Eddy

      Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!

    • Kay Walst6on
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2008
        I've got $50.00 too....
        Kay

        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2008
          I'm in too! (Sorry Eddie, I couldn't write it.)
          Westy

          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2008
            I'm in for $50 as well. Let's get it done......
            Hawk

            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Kay Walst6on <kaywalston@...> wrote:

            > I've got $50.00 too....
            > Kay

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2008
              Do you have your weather station hardware selected yet?
              I would donate a AAG "one wire" (Temp, direction, windspeed).
              This would include the cable needed (I would make custom length for you).
              And I could donate the serial RS232 dongle required.
              Your call!
              Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2008
                Scott is in for $50.00.  He says...thanks for helping him at ICR the other day...great to meet you guys!
                Kay and Scott

                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2008

                  Dave,

                  AAG, one wire, RS232. dongle(as long as it stays where it should) … SORTA Greek to me. Jason Brickner is in charge.

                  Thanks

                  On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM, hawkicd11 <hawkicd11@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  I'm in for $50 as well. Let's get it done......
                  Hawk

                  --- In snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, Kay Walst6on <kaywalston@. ..> wrote:

                  > I've got $50.00 too....
                  > Kay

                  w:st="on">ADA (Amer. w/ Disabilities)

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2008
                    Writing up the project specifics right now.  More to follow.  Pretty exciting.

                    -Jason

                    AAG, one wire, RS232. dongle(as long as it stays where it should) … SORTA Greek to me. Jason Brickner is in charge.

                    Thanks

                    Do you have your weather station hardware selected yet?
                    I would donate a AAG "one wire" (Temp, direction, windspeed).
                    This would include the cable needed (I would make custom length for you).
                    And I could donate the serial RS232 dongle required.
                    Your call!
                    Dave

                    On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM, hawkicd11 <hawkicd11@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    I'm in for $50 as well. Let's get it done......
                    Hawk

                    --- In snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, Kay Walst6on <kaywalston@. ..> wrote:

                    > I've got $50.00
                    too....

                    ----

                    it now.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2008
                      Hello Dave,

                      The software we are looking at doesn't support the AAG one wire unit.  Were you uploading to weatherunderground?  What software were you using.

                      Right now I am leaning heavily to the
                      Davis Instruments 7425 Weather Wizard III -$175 (without rain guage, $225 with) - http://www.ambientweather.com/dawewiiii.html

                      and
                      Virtual Weather Station - $100 -  http://www.ambientweather.com/software.html

                      -Jason

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 13, 2008
                        I found some software online for $70, cant remember the name.
                        Yes i was uploading to WU and also my own private website.
                        And it did a few others as well.  There are several software suites available that support AAG 1-wire.

                        I'll try to sell my AAG 1-wire and donate the money to you guys.
                        It wasn't that good (not 100% reliable).

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 13, 2008
                          Dave was it your location or the equipment?  I'm really striving for a low-cost professional unit.  Not a hobbyist or residential unit.

                          -Jason

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 13, 2008
                            This I would say was a hobby unit, it was not reliable.
                            This would not be a low cost pro unit.
                            Look elsewhere for that :)
                            My installation was perfect, location was good.
                            The stock software was garbage.
                            I found some that worked, but it was expensive (70$).
                            Anyway, I hate to see you waste any time on this.
                            Find something that you know works and go with it.
                            I'm trying to sell mine, and I can donate the proceeds.

                            http://boise.craigslist.org/ele/679071849.html