Re: [snowkiteidaho] Places to Snowkite in ID

  • Darrel Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2005
      Hey Hawk,

      Alas most all fo our searches for other good kiting spots have not been very profitable.
      Camas sits at about 5500ft, and is well exposed, so you have to go a long ways to get anything better.  Here's some of the sites we have tried in the past.

      We have had minor success between Sunvalley and Stanley.  There are a few wide spots that are a little higher and seem to get snow a little earlier, and get some wind. Unfortunately, its a long way to go to get skunked and we haven't mastered the wind predictions for it.

      We have also tried West of Stanley.  There are some excellent high meadows that I am sure are thick with snow already, But we have been skunked EVERY time we have gone up there.  Some of them good wind days in Boise, but barely a breath up there.  All we can figure is that the cold air settles in the valley and keeps the wind from blowing at ground level.  And again, its a long way to go to get skunked

      Jay has had some success up around McCall last winter.  Steve says that up 'till this weekend you had to go pretty much to McCall before you hit snow.  The wind has been hard to predict there as well.

      Tom has flown out of bounds at Bogus a few times,but it sounds like if the lifts aint runnin' it'd be bitch to get the sites.  Currently, they only have about a foot of snow.

      Garden Valley is actually lower than Camas at something in the mid 4000s.  I drove through there yesterday.  There wasn't much.

      Right now,  The only spot I know that has any potential is Bannner Ridge, between Idaho City and Lowman, but it is "experts only" as you must contend with scattered trees, stumps and shrubs. There is nearly 3 feet of snow.  I have no idea about the wind though.  Yesterday it blew 5-15.  Mostly 5 or less.  we were Xcountry skiing.  I don't think I would've wanted to mess with a kite.  Alas, the Moores Crk Summit weather station doesn't report wind.  But if you XC ski, at least if you get skunked, your day's not a total loss.