Is there ice?

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2005
      Darrel Thomas wrote:
      > Found a cool webpage. It shows a map with snowdepths. It shows
      > about a foot around cascade. Lake looks unfrozen.

      I had to smile when I read that last sentence. Growing up in
      Wisconsin, it was considered fairly basic survival of the fittest
      to know how to judge whether or not ice was safe. Or maybe it just
      seemed that way because one of my older brother's friends drowned
      in the Milwaukee River when it wasn't.

      "Lake looks unfrozen" in the middle of November, without consulting
      the weatherman. Ice looks unsafe in early December, too.

      cheers,
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
      tva@...